Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2021 Mid-Atlantic Garden, Lawn, and Other Green Stuff Thread

mattie g

1 hour ago, H2O said:

You all disgust me with this moving south shyt.  What kind of snow people are you?  It doesn't snow in the south.  It doesn't snow anywhere to be fair but less in the south.  I'm moving north.  

LOL. I will always enjoy snow, but the only accums I want to be cleaning up in a few years are dead palm fronds from my front yard.  :) 

2 hours ago, Baltimorewx said:

Allergies have been kicking my butt last couple days. I had really bad allergies about 10 years ago and they seemed to go away for a while but this year, back in earnest....Hopefully max growth is reached soon lol

Same for me. Sidebar -- a co-worker recommended Pataday eye drops to me last week; they used to be prescription and are now over the counter. I have more sinus-related issues when it comes to seasonal allergies, but I have to tell you -- I picked up these Pataday drops, and they've helped me immensely this week with symptoms. Only needed once a day, too.

17 hours ago, Baltimorewx said:

Allergies have been kicking my butt last couple days. I had really bad allergies about 10 years ago and they seemed to go away for a while but this year, back in earnest....Hopefully max growth is reached soon lol

its been awful. we've all been suffering. 

Took the pup out before bed last night and I could see all the pollen floating in the backyard security light. 

• Like 1

If the sun angle never got any higher than it is now, I might get my grass to actually survive here lol. As it is, I am at the beginning of peak lawn, which will last about 5 weeks before the wilting to thatch/burning to hell period begins.

lawn.thumb.jpg.4a87005c1727f967350668301498b279.jpg

• Like 9

On 5/1/2021 at 8:22 AM, CAPE said:

If the sun angle never got any higher than it is now, I might get my grass to actually survive here lol. As it is, I am at the beginning of peak lawn, which will last about 5 weeks before the wilting to thatch/burning to hell period begins.

Yeah, but....such a gorgeous piece of land right now! I know I've said it before, but that firepit area is just a drool-worthy addition to your yard (ANY yard).

• Thanks 1

On 5/2/2021 at 8:28 AM, toolsheds said:

Hof high of the ground do you put your hummingbird feeders?   I have some hanging from the porch and haven't seen any hits in the past 2 weeks.  Should I move them to a lower height? 

Height off the ground is fine -- one of mine is 12 feet up.  Is it your first year putting them out?  It took a while for them to discover my feeders the first year, but they became regular after that.  Just make sure you keep the nectar fresh and they'll come around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlizzardNole said:

Height off the ground is fine -- one of mine is 12 feet up.  Is it your first year putting them out?  It took a while for them to discover my feeders the first year, but they became regular after that.  Just make sure you keep the nectar fresh and they'll come around.

^^^ second this ^^^

1 hour ago, wxdude64 said:

^^^ second this ^^^

3 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

thx!   Will do.  Also put an oriole feeder out, but the wind took that down on Friday night. 

Anyone a general contractor (or knows one) that does outside landscaping/excavation/concrete work? We tore out all our trees/bushes in our pool area when we put up our new fence last fall. We plan to put arborvitaes along the privacy fence, but will do so after Brood X does it's thing and moves on. We have a TON of river rocks in our pool area we want to move to along the fence where the trees, and eventually other bushes, will go. Then pour new concrete around the pool/deck area. Need some quotes on how much all that will cost. 

6 minutes ago, mappy said:

Anyone a general contractor (or knows one) that does outside landscaping/excavation/concrete work? We tore out all our trees/bushes in our pool area when we put up our new fence last fall. We plan to put arborvitaes along the privacy fence, but will do so after Brood X does it's thing and moves on. We have a TON of river rocks in our pool area we want to move to along the fence where the trees, and eventually other bushes, will go. Then pour new concrete around the pool/deck area. Need some quotes on how much all that will cost. 

One Million GIF - OneMilliondollars DrEvil MikeMyers - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 6

Wife ripped up three nearby 50-year-old azaleas in the back of our house last year and put in a pond in its place. We’ve added more plants and a hummingbird feeder this year, and I bought a water lily and a few water hyacinths over the last week. We also planted some native hyacinths that the neighbors donated that we plan on having climb up a trellis that we’re going to plop in front of the radon fan and the other ugliness back there.

Girls and I went down the creek on Sunday and caught a handful of tiny tadpoles. Going to see if we end up with some pet frogs!

C6980C44-42F0-43DE-AD9A-AE1B0BAD1E5E.thumb.jpeg.86c108fe3524b6d0444ff53a227e5c2a.jpeg

05BB716E-4B3D-480D-ADF2-F7DBCDB1B3AB.thumb.jpeg.c4264117d8eef43aaabd910dae9075b6.jpeg

• Like 6

1 minute ago, mattie g said:

Wife ripped up three nearby 50-year-old azaleas in the back of our house last year and put in a pond in its place. We’ve added more plants and a hummingbird feeder this year, and I bought a water lily and a few water hyacinths over the last week. We also planted some native hyacinths that the neighbors donated that we plan on having climb up a trellis that we’re going to plop in front of the radon fan and the other ugliness back there.

Girls and I went down the creek on Sunday and caught a handful of tiny tadpoles. Going to see if we end up with some pet frogs!

This turned out really nice....and it's a perfect spot to hear the water playing in the fountains while sitting on the deck, very soothing. Well done!!

• Like 1

Excited that our rhododendron is starting to bloom! Perfect timing since our azaleas are done blooming. It’s our first week living in the house and we love the landscaping the last owners did.

Inside is another story which is still a full on construction zone of renovations we are doing - I told my partner if we could live through a renovation, we can probably endure anything haha.

25276c110ce639a6fe628ab355984095.jpg

• Like 6

18 hours ago, toolsheds said:

thx!   Will do.  Also put an oriole feeder out, but the wind took that down on Friday night. 

Keep the hummingbird feeders away from feeders for other birds. Secondly hang the hummingbird feeders somewhere high enough that raccoons and squirrels can't get to it. Once those little critters get a taste of that sugar water the feeder will be empty the day after you fill it up....

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bodhi Cove said:

Keep the hummingbird feeders away from feeders for other birds. Secondly hang the hummingbird feeders somewhere high enough that raccoons and squirrels can't get to it. Once those little critters get a taste of that sugar water the feeder will be empty the day after you fill it up....

Thanks!  I have them hanging from my porch  above the railing, so they are a good 10+ feet from the ground.  I have had some in the past when the flowers are bloomed, but expect them to come a little more regularly when I get the planting done. 

Thanks for all of the advice here.  I'll let everyone know when they do appear. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

This turned out really nice....and it's a perfect spot to hear the water playing in the fountains while sitting on the deck, very soothing. Well done!!

Thanks! It looks a lot messier in the pictures than in real life. :lol: Hopefully the trellis will help cover up some of the junk.

Like you said, right next to the deck was a perfect spot. I've had a couple sips of coffee out there on the weekends in the past few weeks before the kids wake up, and it's been a wonderful 3 minutes total! I wonder if I'm going to want another in the front once the porch build is done! :lol:

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 3:17 PM, North Balti Zen said:

We don't do the cool gardens a lot of you do, but I do put flowers in the outdoor pots every year about this time - should I wait this year until we clear the worst of the cicadas in mid-June?

I think they're only interested in trees, thinner branches/twigs/woodier things like shrubs (and even so not terribly destructive unless the plant is very young from what I've read). Not an expert but I don't think you need to worry about the flowers.

• Like 1