Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 16 2021 - Inland runner Rain/Snow/Wind

Baroclinic Zone

45 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I can’t even imagine living up that high in upslope land. I’d probably reach the point where I’d truly hate the snow and cold. They probably struggle to hit 80° in the summer too. Would be cool to experience it for a year or two though. 

Second homes for skiers rented out in the summer

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

I can’t even imagine living up that high in upslope land. I’d probably reach the point where I’d truly hate the snow and cold. They probably struggle to hit 80° in the summer too. Would be cool to experience it for a year or two though. 

I was thinking that. I'm more to seasons in seasons. Back to my dream bayside beach house on the Cape for the summer. :lol: 

Everytime I am at Stowe I ride around the weenie roads above the golf course , I’ve done it so often with the elevation app, that I just start drooling as I drive around . Lots of elevated properties and even going back East a couple miles there is a good amount of very elevated terrain (over 1500’) in the roads that run north off Mountain Road 

The condos at 1800’ Behind Spruce Peak have  snow guns and ski lifts in their front yards ..pure weenie heaven . I believe those run 4 Mil or so 

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

I don't think Mitch gets to 80F that often either and is 400ft lower.  I think 83-84F was his high last summer, not sure how many 80F+ days though.

43 minutes ago, dendrite said:

This looks like a weenie jspin-like crevasse in the winter.

image.png

Would need a snowcat to get to your house as they stop plowing it up to a certain point in winter.  If you theoretically had a house there, you would have been floating down to Bennington after Irene--crushed that ravine.

• Like 1

I've driven the National Forest roads up to Somerset Reservoir and there are some off the grid homesteaders up there that are about 2,200-2,300' elevation. That place has the ultimate weenie spot for snow, but no, I don't think I could live there, lol. I need power and Internet. But with solar power and this soon to be released low orbit, low latency satellite Internet from SpaceX called StarLink who's to say more people won't be able to move to places like that. 

That whole area is basically a 2,000-2,500' basin that catches snow and retains it. I don't know what that area averages, but 200" per year isn't far fetched at all. 

5 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Everytime I am at Stowe I ride around the weenie roads above the golf course , I’ve done it so often with the elevation app, that I just start drooling as I drive around . Lots of elevated properties and even going back East a couple miles there is a good amount of very elevated terrain (over 1500’) in the roads that run north off Mountain Road 

The condos at 1800’ Behind Spruce Peak have  snow guns and ski lifts in their front yards ..pure weenie heaven . I believe those run 4 Mil or so 

There are so many weenie zones around here.  The town of Stowe has so much variation.  Like today up the Sterling Valley, there was in the 18-24” range on the ground in that 1500-1600ft.  Folks that live in Sterling Valley always talk about how they get double the snowfall other parts of town get.  Same with Nebraska Valley.

I have 12” on the ground and this part of town has 20” easy.  It would be great to have like a dozen observers around town, ha.  

8567B384-D0D4-44B9-A388-390E1B1DBD20.jpeg.8be2f223b16dbfe291ece391d2e99ccc.jpeg

3ACA1288-6D86-4087-86BA-F2BBCE850835.thumb.jpeg.2e16baefbb002a441e6aa69d361a02be.jpeg

B54109DC-ADC1-4E42-8A77-8E5285400197.thumb.jpeg.4ad19dff5b0bd3af024ad1b8874e3a9d.jpeg

AD5CB408-E488-4A94-99E4-513737DF7062.thumb.jpeg.521e56ebc6165d08cdb23ab1a1891ab6.jpeg

• Like 3

On 1/19/2021 at 6:44 AM, LaGrangewx said:

Sweet conversation I always love learning more about that region as it one of the coolest micro-climates in the area. I mentioned a few weeks back about the Woodford snowmobile club Having some trails back into the higher Glastenbury terrain. I Remember I skied Stratton on March 14th 2018. It was a phenomenal day and snow depths were very impressive throughout the whole region. This day in particular I remember the Northwest flow upslope was supposed to be cranking in the area... but not at Stratton. Lighter snow all day but not significant accumulations. I took the weenie drive home to New York down through Woodford instead of Manchester. I came down the Southeast side of Stratton. Beautiful homes in there. I reached rt-100 and the 2400’ section before dipping down to mount snow base area and they had some crazy piles near that pass and excavators plowing driveways but their still wasn’t much upslope snow. The snow pack decreases as you head down towards mount snow and then Wilmington. Once I got to Rt-9, passing through Searsburg and reached woodford, no surprise the snow was cranking. It happened so suddenly. I remember my friend and I passed the empty prospect mountain parking lot and turned around to go have some fun and spin a few donuts lol. Half of it was plowed but the other half probably had 3+ft of snow just from the recent storm. We of course managed to beach the Jeep in it for a few minutes while it was almost a white out. Fun times. The snow pack in that area was awesome probably the most I’ve ever seen in a northeast residential area 5-6ft easy. Also you mentioned how mesos always jackpot that area and I would like to believe that as accurate as it is so consistent and shows the sharp eastern cutoff. So long story short I really don’t think it would be a stretch to say that the 3000-3800 area on Glastenbury averages significantly more snow than both Stratton and Mount Snow which seem to be just a few miles too Far East for the best snows based on what you see in Woodford. Others who live in that region have great input about the terrain and microclimates and I always appreciate their great input. That place truly has to be one of the snowiest live-able places in New England and definitely the snowiest that is fairly close to the coast. They’re positioned so well for monster storms and seem to get huge dumps more frequently than basically anywhere. A few 2 foot storms every year and a 3 foot+ storm or better every other year. Truly a weenie heaven that place is. 

Just was curious and went back to look at those March 2018 storms.  Woodford reported 100" on the nose in 13-14 days..lol.  So 5-6ft OTG certainly seems right in line with compaction.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Just was curious and went back to look at those March 2018 storms.  Woodford reported 100" on the nose in 13-14 days..lol.  So 5-6ft OTG certainly seems right in line with compaction.

Yup I believe they had a few small events in between the big ones as well. Crazy stretch. I remember a picture I saw and found it again on twitter just now. Apparently it was near Stratton around that time. I don’t know if it was on the backside where I drove through or potentially on the opposite side of the mountain on that 2600’ ridge that’s been discussed in here. Either way that picture looks like it could fool me if someone said it was Mammoth Lakes.

FD85348E-58CC-4541-A7C0-B25B0B832DED.jpeg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LaxSki said:

22 inches of upslope snow in Woodford Vt today.. Skiing is amazing now, let’s hope it stays around for awhile

I saw that. Think that is a running total for at least 3-4 days if not the week. I noticed they haven't reported anything in a few days.  There is no way in heck that is 24 hours. Nevertheless,  conditions are really good up and down VT right now.

23 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I saw that. Think that is a running total for at least 3-4 days if not the week. I noticed they haven't reported anything in a few days.  There is no way in heck that is 24 hours. Nevertheless,  conditions are really good up and down VT right now.

Nws Albany claimed they reported 12” at noon and then 22” at 5pm. The initial 12” has to count 2-3 days? The 10” this afternoon seems a little high but maybe plausible they were getting hammered on radar. 

15 minutes ago, LaGrangewx said:

Nws Albany claimed they reported 12” at noon and then 22” at 5pm. The initial 12” has to count 2-3 days? The 10” this afternoon seems a little high but maybe plausible they were getting hammered on radar. 

Mitch only reported 4.8" over the past 24 hrs.  Woodford reported 4" at 8am today, so that means 18" since 8am--no way(radar was better up here for much of the morning) So that seems pretty slant-sticky.

I think maybe they were just reporting mutli -day totals in a weird way?

For reference I've had 18" of upslope the past 6 days---so a 22" total for Woodford would be realistic over the that span--maybe they just reported it strangely.  I dont know, it's a very mysterious place...lol.

I did see that NWS asked Mitch on twitter if he thinks the Woodford total is legit.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Mitch only reported 4.8" over the past 24 hrs.  Woodford reported 4" at 8am today, so that means 18" since 8am--no way(radar was better up here for much of the morning) So that seems pretty slant-sticky.

I think maybe they were just reporting mutli -day totals in a weird way?

For reference I've had 18" of upslope the past 6 days---so a 22" total for Woodford would be realistic over the that span--maybe they just reported it strangely.  I dont know, it's a very mysterious place...lol.

I did see that NWS asked Mitch on twitter if he thinks the Woodford total is legit.

I like to check the prospect mountain report as a comparison. They seem to report each morning fairly consistently and said they had 3” this morning. I’d like to see what they say tomorrow. They are on the western part of the ridge and the woodford observer is on the eastern side. I think they’re like 3-4 miles apart. I do think based on mesos that area has some extreme micro variations tho. Woodford snobusters also has some generalized reports on Facebook. 

6 minutes ago, LaGrangewx said:

I like to check the prospect mountain report as a comparison. They seem to report each morning fairly consistently and said they had 3” this morning. I’d like to see what they say tomorrow. They are on the western part of the ridge and the woodford observer is on the eastern side. I think they’re like 3-4 miles apart. I do think based on mesos that area has some extreme micro variations tho. Woodford snobusters also has some generalized reports on Facebook. 

Didn't even realize that had a report--that can be a reference check like you said.  They have base depth as 9-12" which is a little strange.  Could be just that much of an extreme microclimate ala JSpin.  My gut says a little weenie-ish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I think the Woodford spotter is almost 90 years old, so guess we will give her a little leeway. :)

But, may also explain some of the discrepancies.

This I was not aware of, that would explain it. I'll give her credit for measuring snow and living in such a challenging climate at that age. I was under the assumption it was just some snow nut who isn't aware of proper snow measuring protocol. 

Anyway, I've probably added a few tenths more since my last measure. Depth is at 25". 

This makes more sense. I drive rt 9 past. Prospect Mtn through Woodford on the way to Mt Snow every other weekend in the winter. Woodford consistently have more Snow than Prospect base but not double.In fact to mix it up we come up through North Adams and drive past Mitch’s location which consistently has more Snow than Prospect base. Either way during these upslope events it is amazing to drive out of North Adams or Bennington and climb in elevation and see the dramatic increase in Snow Depths!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LaxSki said:

This makes more sense. I drive rt 9 past. Prospect Mtn through Woodford on the way to Mt Snow every other weekend in the winter. Woodford consistently have more Snow than Prospect base but not double.In fact to mix it up we come up through North Adams and drive past Mitch’s location which consistently has more Snow than Prospect base. Either way during these upslope events it is amazing to drive out of North Adams or Bennington and climb in elevation and see the dramatic increase in Snow Depths!!!

Yea I would think somewhere near the crest of rt-9 just past the lake area around 2400’ in woodford probably does the best. There are actually a couple homes there around 2500’ it seems. Prospect base is at like 2150’ a bit before the crest. Also, the snow pack retention might get a little better as you drive further East is my guess. 

• Like 1

The best snow is usually a bit east of the crest, which on VT-9 is just east of where that pond is on the left if heading eastbound. Woodford State Park over toward the VT-8 junction in Searsburg is typically where the max zone on VT-9 usually is. 

I'm on the east slope of a ~3,100' mountain so I get it good here also even though I'm about 5 miles south of VT-9. 

Anyway, I had another 3.0" overnight and into early this morning on 0.1" liquid making for a 30:1 ratio. 33.6" for the week and a 26" depth.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

The best snow is usually a bit east of the crest, which on VT-9 is just east of where that pond is on the left if heading eastbound. Woodford State Park over toward the VT-8 junction in Searsburg is typically where the max zone on VT-9 usually is. 

I'm on the east slope of a ~3,100' mountain so I get it good here also even though I'm about 5 miles south of VT-9. 

Anyway, I had another 3.0" overnight and into early this morning on 0.1" liquid making for a 30:1 ratio. 33.6" for the week and a 26" depth.

Sounds like an awesome week. How does searsburg pass usually do for snowfall in that area? Does it still cash in when Mount snow is missing out? I realize it’s up at 2500’ must have great retention I’m guessing. I’ve never driven it, would you say it gets even more snow than that stretch of 9 in woodford?