Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 16 2021 - Inland runner Rain/Snow/Wind

Baroclinic Zone

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

KMART got smoked

Saw that. Looked like they were ground zero for yesterday/early today. Now the best upslope shifting north but even the southern/central greens should get some for the next few days. 

Great pattern there coming up too as next week will feature a lot of upslope while we whine about lack of synoptic snow everywhere else. 

17” on Mansfield and at least 1.50” water, if not more.  It was real thick, even the upslope wasn’t pure pow.  Temps stayed warm, even today was like 30F at 1500ft.

Its been snowing lightly all evening so the mountain may make a run at 20”.  The snow depth finally hit 30”, with a gain of 16” so far from this storm.  This was a game changer with very minimal settling and all meat.  Very thick.  Now we can add some fluff to it since there’s a decent base.

7A213077-F630-448F-8745-952F8F488867.thumb.jpeg.7299533f9778b237919f60a56cdad79a.jpeg

Its still snowing lightly outside at home.  Melted the stratus this evening and had 1.38” water on 9” snowfall.  A very dense 12” of depth on ground at 750ft.  Looks like winter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

KMART got smoked

Yeah that area looked to have a legit 25” or so.  Photos from my friend’s parents there were plastered.  I think that area got in on the Lake Ontario connection for a bit on westerly flow, following like 2” of water as heavy wet snow.  That zone in south/central VT has had two huge storms now.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah that area looked to have a legit 25” or so.  Photos from my friend’s parents there were plastered.  I think that area got in on the Lake Ontario connection for a bit on westerly flow, following like 2” of water as heavy wet snow.  That zone in south/central VT has had two huge storms now.

It’s a lot of snow here, and not just depth. The snow is thick. I can cut it into slabs basically. :)  

Will be a seriously solid base after the cold this week. Still kinda sloppy now. 

12 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

That Woodford report looks like an outlier but I don’t know the area at all. 

Looks like I had the highest in NH. 

Woodford is up at 2400ft on the crest.  That’s a very snowy area, wouldn’t surprise me.  They historically do best in upslope in SVT, and get crushed on easterly flow too... the benefits of upsloping from both sides.

There are a good bit of 16-26” type stuff coming out of the higher ground in the Greens.  Not sure if it makes it into the PNS but some good stuff.

Even this morning before more snowfall today, above 1,300ft got destroyed in C.VT.  But look at that elevation gradient :lol:.

A40C4512-3318-4D14-B374-D7E12BEC6091.jpeg.e68d9f60ca3a263cf2d8b037a22ee7cc.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It’s a lot of snow here, and not just depth. The snow is thick. I can cut it into slabs basically. :)  

Will be a seriously solid base after the cold this week. Still kinda sloppy now. 

Yeah this was a great QPF dump.  Even with only 12” on the ground here in the valley, it still has like water in the bottom of the boot prints, ha.  I think our ratio yesterday was 2-3:1.  You’re right, once it locks up tight it’s going to be a brick of moisture.

Will take a lot of energy to melt this storm, so provided no Grinch part II, we should be good with snowpack for the winter finally.

Time for currier and Ives for 6-weeks.

10 hours ago, PhineasC said:

That Woodford report looks like an outlier but I don’t know the area at all. 

Looks like I had the highest in NH. 

Having skied at prospect mountain and areas around Woodford I can say that area gets legit snowfall.  Woodford will usually exceed Mount Snow’s snowfall totals.  Mount Snow is only about 10 miles to the east.  I’ve heard the high areas of mount Glastonbury get extremely deep snow pack. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

More than the grinch right?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Not even close here - had 4.7" snow with 1.07" LE, not quite a powder ratio, then 0.29" RA.  The 1.36" total is barely over half of the Grinch's 2.68".  Saturday was perhaps the 1st significant snowfall here that came on a day 14° AN.

Little half-inch surprise this morning, frosting the twigs.

• Like 1

Just now, tamarack said:

Not even close here - had 4.7" snow with 1.07" LE, not quite a powder ratio, then 0.29" RA.  The 1.36" total is barely over half of the Grinch's 2.68".  Saturday was perhaps the 1st significant snowfall here that came on a day 14° AN.

Little half-inch surprise this morning, frosting the twigs.

Is this the worst winter of all time so far at your spot? Your obs have been brutal all winter. :(  

2 hours ago, GCWarrior said:

Having skied at prospect mountain and areas around Woodford I can say that area gets legit snowfall.  Woodford will usually exceed Mount Snow’s snowfall totals.  Mount Snow is only about 10 miles to the east.  I’ve heard the high areas of mount Glastonbury get extremely deep snow pack. 

Woodford def gets smoked but that report was pretty weenie-ish even in that context. I think Mitch (wxmanmitch who lives in Woodford) was a bit skeptical of it. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Is this the worst winter of all time so far at your spot? Your obs have been brutal all winter. :(  

Not the worst though a contender.  00 and 06 were worse (and the latter was about to get even 'worser' - 7.8" total for FebMarApr.)  16 was about equally bad at this point.  However, 2007 sits at the bottom but had just turned on the jets toward a decent winter a few days before.  1st subzero morning of the season was the 17th, easily the latest here.
Worth noting that 2 of the 3 events over 2" (Dec.5-6 and Jan.16) had ratios of 4.4 to 1.  

6 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Woodford def gets smoked but that report was pretty weenie-ish even in that context. I think Mitch (wxmanmitch who lives in Woodford) was a bit skeptical of it. 

I'm actually about 5 miles to the SE of Woodford center, but on the same ridge at about the same elevation. The person who measures there is on the east side of the town at exactly my longitude (4.5 miles due north of my spot). They are sometimes too high while other times reasonable. Woodford reported a 24" two day total yesterday while I had 17", which seems like a rather large difference given the small distance and roughly same elevation (2300' vs. my 2,230'). It's conceivable that they may have had a little more than I did (perhaps 18 to 20") but I find it somewhat hard to believe that there was that large of a difference without some type of mesoscale snow band evident on radar to account for it. But without going up there to poke around and measure myself, I will give them the benefit of the doubt since it is an extremely snowy place. 

Anyway, enough of scrutinizing Woodford's total since snow measuring is not an exact science. I had another 3.1" from upslope overnight last night and into today. Three day total is now 20.1" with a depth of 20.5". 

9 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

I'm actually about 5 miles to the SE of Woodford center, but on the same ridge at about the same elevation. The person who measures there is on the east side of the town at exactly my longitude (4.5 miles due north of my spot). They are sometimes too high while other times reasonable. Woodford reported a 24" two day total yesterday while I had 17", which seems like a rather large difference given the small distance and roughly same elevation (2300' vs. my 2,230'). It's conceivable that they may have had a little more than I did (perhaps 18 to 20") but I find it somewhat hard to believe that there was that large of a difference without some type of mesoscale snow band evident on radar to account for it. But without going up there to poke around and measure myself, I will give them the benefit of the doubt since it is an extremely snowy place. 

Anyway, enough of scrutinizing Woodford's total since snow measuring is not an exact science. I had another 3.1" from upslope overnight last night and into today. Three day total is now 20.1" with a depth of 20.5". 

Yeah hard to say but those Woodford observers have been around forever.  They were there when I was a kid, they report to the WeatherNet 6 (CBS news out of Albany)... I always remember their location as 2,400ft TOP OF HILL (always in caps lock, ha).

Definitely might be weenie-ish but they’ve been around for decades reporting snow up there.  The only reason I get skeptical is the fact that it was an even two feet.  I’d rather see like 23” or 23.5” ..something that doesn’t sound like it was mailed in (there looks like two feet out there!).

Either way, growing up skiing at Mt Snow I often felt like that high part of RT 9 there in Woodford had deeper snowpack than the actual ski area lol.

• Like 1

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yeah hard to say but those Woodford observers have been around forever.  They were there when I was a kid, they report to the WeatherNet 6 (CBS news out of Albany)... I always remember their location as 2,400ft TOP OF HILL (always in caps lock, ha).

Definitely might be weenie-ish but they’ve been around for decades reporting snow up there.  The only reason I get skeptical is the fact that it was an even two feet.  I’d rather see like 23” or 23.5” ..something that doesn’t sound like it was mailed in (there looks like two feet out there!).

Either way, growing up skiing at Mt Snow I often felt like that high part of RT 9 there in Woodford had deeper snowpack than the actual ski area lol.

It does. The base of Mt. Snow is at 1,900' at doesn't get as much of the upslope on W to NW flow as Woodford or my location do.

24 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

It does. The base of Mt. Snow is at 1,900' at doesn't get as much of the upslope on W to NW flow as Woodford or my location do.

I’ve always wondered how much snow would be measured if someone was up in the Glastonbury wilderness NNW of Woodford in those 3000+ foot peaks. Like that would be an amazing spot for a ski resort. The terrain there looks insane for upslope. I feel like they’d easily get over 200” per year there but there is nobody there to measure it. Lol. 

• Like 2