Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 16 2021 - Inland runner Rain/Snow/Wind

Baroclinic Zone

2 hours ago, rcostell said:

I'm curious- why do you play the full time contrarian on this forum? You don't seem to get much reaction from those who regularly contribute in a more conventional way. I have to say- as a casual observer- the buzzkill routine must be really lonely. Why do you persist?  

i'm genuinely happy for NNE, they actually need snow. Rarely do we have an entire region content with the wx on this forum, and let's be honest the whinefest gets old too.  It's winter and people are unhappy even miserable. how is that even possible?. I could never imagine complaining about a cold or wet summer...at least it's summer.

• Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

i'm genuinely happy for NNE, they actually need snow. Rarely do we have an entire region content with the wx on this forum, and let's be honest the whinefest gets old too.  It's winter and people are unhappy even miserable. how is that even possible?. I could never imagine complaining about a cold or wet summer...at least it's summer.

The whining is the worst.

5 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

That’s what I said? :lol:  I guess I wasn’t clear when I said after this slug passes. I meant that the upslope machine turns on after the Synoptics go. 

Ahh, roger that, just needed clarification, it sounds like you’ve got it.  I think we’ve got the appropriate analogy for upslope on the back side of synoptic storm in the NNE thread now.

HappyMrMiyagi.jpg

16 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

00z HRRR really robust on the upslope tomorrow. Shows another .53" of liquid.

5-7", depending on the fluff factor.

Next up will be a taste of your first real cold.  Mid teens for highs.  In reality that isn't super cold but a step in that direction.  When NNE stays below zero all day you know you have a nice cold airmass.  That is about 15F colder than what is coming up.  Snow is fine but I can do without subzero real temperatures.  It's funny, when we have a stretch like that  and then it finally gets up to 20F it seems warm.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, qg_omega said:

10 inches at Gore of heavy leg burning snow, will see how much more tonight.  I didn’t notice much difference from 1500 to 3500 feet

Was at the Cabin in Thurman at 1425’ for the last 3 days. There was about 4-5” of crusty pack when I arrived Thursday. Skied Gore Thursday and Friday with nice machine groomed conditions. Woke up today to some heavy snow. Drove all the way to Speculator to ski Oak mountain because Gore was sold out. It was interesting. On the way The highest point of Rt 8 around 1900’ near Eleventh Mountain, the snow became very grainy, hitting my windshield, but quickly turned back to big flakes as I went down a bit in elevation. It was dumping in speculator when I got to Oak they reported 10” and that was accurate for sure. Dense powder Skied very well. On the drive home the lighter precipitation showed just how marginal the setup was. It flipped between big flakes light snow and light rain a few times depending on elevation. Made it back to the cabin and I estimated about 8” all snow no mix. It was dense and wet. I’d say the town of Warrensburg about 7-10 miles away and lower elevation had half of what I had at the cabin up the hill. I was looking at the reports from Warren County Ny and they seem a bit misleading and underdone for the higher terrain as the highest report is 4”. The snow totals in the higher elevation hills seem to be a bit closer to the 10” reported at Gore and Oak. Overall beautiful scenery in the mountains today. It was an awesome drive and day to ski. 

• Like 1

Wow.  Looked out the window.  It looks like it snowed a lot at 2000K in Killington.  Everything is filled in and drifted in.  Can’t tell where the plow went yesterday.  It’s got to be another 6” but I’m guessing.  It would take at least that much or more to fill things in like that.  Could be more.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skivt2 said:

Wow.  Looked out the window.  It looks like it snowed a lot at 2000K in Killington.  Everything is filled in and drifted in.  Can’t tell where the plow went yesterday.  It’s got to be another 6” but I’m guessing.  It would take at least that much or more to fill things in like that.  Could be more.

They reported 21 yesterday.  Solid solid base builder. Hopefully they keep power on for you today. Enjoy the pow, upslope is cranking 

22 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Enjoy the 2 feet, look forward to the pics . Edit so tilt 4 PF. ?Thanks for that .

Yeah tilt 4 on radarscope does the best for me... beam still is blocked by a few peak tops (like Mansfield) but by and far it shows the best of what's going on IMO.

On Wunderground the 2.45 degree scan is my favorite as the lowest that doesn't hit the peaks.  J.Spin probably 1"/hr just above the "W" in Waterbury.  I hear I-89 through the Spine is near whiteout.

WUNIDS_map.gif.3e4fc410c9359edb6135ba6c7e1aaa45.gif