Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 16 2021 - Inland runner Rain/Snow/Wind

Baroclinic Zone

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I thought it was going to be ending but it built back in a bit. Moderate snow and 31 degrees.

Nice, it should keep coming lightly up there before the wind switch to WNW. 

I picture you in a dark room in Maryland right now with multiple TV screens and monitors going with your webcams, watching it snow just like you were there ha ha.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

What's the new site? FB?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

It's still HCS  but they changed the platform.  Not as many posting there.   There are a few FB groups.  New England Sled Talk is one and a guy I know started one for Vermont called Vermont Hardcore Sledders.  I don't like the FB groups as much and I still check in on HCS in case there are any questions I can answer in the VT forum.

I think we are about at 6".  There was a brief period of mist/sprinkles with some sleety stuff but it went back to snow for a while.  Mostly shut off now.  It is man snow though.  I didn't even attempt to use my snowblower at the top of the driveway, I used the snow scoop.  Roads are a mess.

45 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

Great day of mild temps and beneficial rain. Everyone should be in a happy, positive mood

I'm curious- why do you play the full time contrarian on this forum? You don't seem to get much reaction from those who regularly contribute in a more conventional way. I have to say- as a casual observer- the buzzkill routine must be really lonely. Why do you persist?  

• Like 1

1.54" of liquid in my 11.0" of snow yielding a 7.14 to 1 ratio. This is really meaty stuff! It has compacted down to about 10" since I did get a little above freezing. 

Meso models are dumping anywhere from 0.5" to over 1" of liquid equivalent in upslope snow over the next 48 hours, so we'll see what that results in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rcostell said:

I'm curious- why do you play the full time contrarian on this forum? You don't seem to get much reaction from those who regularly contribute in a more conventional way. I have to say- as a casual observer- the buzzkill routine must be really lonely. Why do you persist?  

image.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

46 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

10 inches at Gore of heavy leg burning snow, will see how much more tonight.  I didn’t notice much difference from 1500 to 3500 feet

Yeah the Adirondacks were certainly deeper into cold air for sure.  Pretty heavy elevation gradient around here but the QPF totals are pretty similar...which with such low tide is what really matters.  This stuff was thick wet paste.  Cleaning the 5” off my car at the end of the day, the bottom 2” we’re just like slush and ponding water.

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah the Adirondacks were certainly deeper into cold air for sure.  Pretty heavy elevation gradient around here but the QPF totals are pretty similar...which with such low tide is what really matters.  This stuff was thick wet paste.  Cleaning the 5” off my car at the end of the day, the bottom 2” we’re just like slush and ponding water.

No real accumulations below 1k feet, just rain here at lake level on Lake George, couple of inches on the pass from the lake to exit 24 on the Northway.  Crazy this morning going from rain to heavy caking snow in just a few miles but 600 feet higher in elevation.  Not sure I can count many true elevation storms in mid January which is climo the coldest weekend of the winter

• Confused 1