Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 16 2021 - Inland runner Rain/Snow/Wind

Baroclinic Zone

44 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Had about 20” above 2k at Stratton. About 16” of wet snow at my house at 1600’. Power is out with lots of tree damage 

I have to dispute this, there is not 20” at Stratton at any elevation. There is about 11” of wet snow around the Stratton area at around the 1600-1800 level and up top about 14” maybe. Generally about a 1’ snowfall, 20” is slant stick. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J.Spin said:

“Sigh” You’re getting there I guess.  The first usage is close, but you still need some work on the analogy.  It looks like almost a week of a bread and butter-style pattern after this storm passes.  If you’re responding to PF’s post regarding this storm’s upslope component, that’s not the correct analogy at all.  If this storm was bread and butter we’d probably average 500-600” of snow a season.  Don’t make me go Miyagi on you; Phin helped set up the appropriate analogy for this type of system a while back:

WinterPotRoast.jpg

You have to cut him some slack he is from EMATT.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I think i have 3-5" up where you are on HCS.

Snowfall Map 31A.gif

Gotcha, thank you, so close to the 6-10 line

I remember back in college waiting for your posts on HCS for each storm before I really understood anything about the weather or found this place which is now my drug when any storm threat pops up, haha. Can’t remember the last time I logged on HCS now. 

• Like 1

Just now, TheMainer said:

Gotcha, thank you, so close to the 6-10 line

I remember back in college waiting for your posts on HCS for each storm before I really understood anything about the weather or found this place which is now my drug when any storm threat pops up, haha. Can’t remember the last time I logged on HCS now. 

Still a few that post on there, Not like it use to be, They have a whole new site.

18 minutes ago, greenmtnwx said:

I have to dispute this, there is not 20” at Stratton at any elevation. There is about 11” of wet snow around the Stratton area at around the 1600-1800 level and up top about 14” maybe. Generally about a 1’ snowfall, 20” is slant stick. 

Sounds similar to what I heard from my buddy who was up there today.

• Like 1

Thought we were cooked when S+ went to IP about 1:20, but 20 minutes later it switched back to fat wet aggregates, another 3/4" in the next hour, stuff so dense you'd have water running thru your fingers while making a snowball.  Worlds better than the RA+ we were supposed to be getting from noon on.  Strange event - temps on a razor's edge and we happen to be on the good side, so far.  Was hoping to hang on to 3" pack, now up to 9.  :weenie:

• Like 3

Just got back from shawnee peak, 3-4” of wet snow up top. Just enough to duck some ropes and get some soft turns. This will be a great base for bc skiing in the area if we can get another storm that’s mostly white. 

1-2” at the base and about the same at my house in Bridgton. Lots of standing water but somehow we look to net gain out of this. No help for the snomo trails tho. Be lucky if the local riding season lasts a month at this point. 

• Sad 1

Highest I’ve seen the tide come up in my one year of being here. Just had some ducks swim through the backyard, my car should be safe in the front. Crazy wind this morning as well. Add another wind advisory event to the list that outperformed while it seems like every high wind warning falls short. 

B9EF2147-D1DF-4DFE-B1B9-F9C1FEFEEECD.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, KoalaBeer said:

Highest I’ve seen the tide come up in my one year of being here. Just had some ducks swim through the backyard, my car should be safe in the front. Crazy wind this morning as well. Add another wind advisory event to the list that outperformed while it seems like every high wind warning falls short. 

B9EF2147-D1DF-4DFE-B1B9-F9C1FEFEEECD.jpeg

That looks more like the typical NNE cutter for this winter.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Thought we were cooked when S+ went to IP about 1:20, but 20 minutes later it switched back to fat wet aggregates, another 3/4" in the next hour, stuff so dense you'd have water running thru your fingers while making a snowball.  Worlds better than the RA+ we were supposed to be getting from noon on.  Strange event - temps on a razor's edge and we happen to be on the good side, so far.  Was hoping to hang on to 3" pack, now up to 9.  :weenie:

Nice Tom