Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 2021 Squallicane

Holston_River_Rambler

38 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

Looks like ur the winner so far brother. What did u get , 4 to 5" ?

I think more like 3" it's just blown around everywhere. I didn't measure but the car seemed to have more on it than the grass probably. Every snow we've had here this season has been almost the same amount seems like. I wish it wasn't so windy here or it would've made for some really good pictures of the trees again.

They did model it pretty well though, the random dark blue blip is over me above Crossville.

No photo description available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John1122 said:

I never was able to get more than an inch down. Once the sun came up it was just too much for any additional accumulations.

The sun never really came out here surprisingly but we still had melting in the "drifty" spots where there wasn't as much coverage. And it was only 31 degrees today. Maybe we'll all get more the next couple days.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Greyhound said:

Went on a Jeep ride at Royal Blue today (about 15ish miles north of John). We were about 2,600 feet elevation and had to turn around. Trail was getting waaaaay too treacherous. Temps were about 28, and WINDY. 95cddb811777c0b388a76405eaf77937.jpg

Actually you were close to my house most likely if you were on the Royal Blue/North Cumberland WMA. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shocker0 said:

I think more like 3" it's just blown around everywhere. I didn't measure but the car seemed to have more on it than the grass probably. Every snow we've had here this season has been almost the same amount seems like. I wish it wasn't so windy here or it would've made for some really good pictures of the trees again.

They did model it pretty well though, the random dark blue blip is over me above Crossville.

No photo description available.

Yes I was amazed at how accurate that map was- I measured before the melting started and I got right about 4 or a little less in spots, I'm in the blue spot also - our elevation is much higher than in town. You might have gotten more than you thought

• Like 2

Part 2 will be here tomorrow night. Probably lighter this round. I'd guess a heavy dusting to maybe 1.5 inches in the lower elevations with a lot more likely in the lower range of accumulation. Still I think a few people will get lucky and do okay with it.  It's going to be colder than last night and today. My low is forecast to be 26 with the snow falling tomorrow night. 

• Like 3

Just now, Greyhound said:

Yep!! We were!! We came in from the Scott Co area, off exit 141

That's all Campbell Co, Scott border is about 7 miles west.  That exit has just boomed for the city of Caryville. Those hotels stay booked year round for ATV tourism. 

I can be at exit 141 in about 10 minutes on an ATV. 

• Like 1

That's all Campbell Co, Scott border is about 7 miles west.  That exit has just boomed for the city of Caryville. Those hotels stay booked year round for ATV tourism. 
I can be at exit 141 in about 10 minutes on an ATV. 

You are correct!! I call that exit the Scott Co exit......even though I know that’s wrong. Just like I still call it Lake City instead of Rocky Top!! Pretty area up there......you are very lucky to live in that area.

31 minutes ago, Greyhound said:

You are correct!! I call that exit the Scott Co exit......even though I know that’s wrong. Just like I still call it Lake City instead of Rocky Top!! Pretty area up there......you are very lucky to live in that area.

I wouldn't live anywhere else unless it was just higher up the mountain, above 2500ft is one of those lines where it's different in snow events. 

The WMA literally borders me on all sides. Good for hiking, recreation etc. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wintersnow888 said:

Yes I was amazed at how accurate that map was- I measured before the melting started and I got right about 4 or a little less in spots, I'm in the blue spot also - our elevation is much higher than in town. You might have gotten more than you thought

You're probably right but I woke up at like 5am when it was snowing hard and then fell asleep until like 11:30 well after it had quit lol. So I'm sure some had melted by that time since it was 31 degrees or so.

1 hour ago, John1122 said:

Part 2 will be here tomorrow night. Probably lighter this round. I'd guess a heavy dusting to maybe 1.5 inches in the lower elevations with a lot more likely in the lower range of accumulation. Still I think a few people will get lucky and do okay with it.  It's going to be colder than last night and today. My low is forecast to be 26 with the snow falling tomorrow night. 

I'd be happy if we managed another inch from all that. NWS only shows 20% chance for us while TWC is at 40% so neither seem to excited about it.

4 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

MRX's map:

dJvrH0R.png

Looks right by what official reports they got. Too bad there's not more. I saw a pic of the 3.5" Duffield yardstick measurement. A bit unusual for that area as it sits in a low spot at the eastern foot of Powell Mountain . I'd venture to sat that Mtn had 5-6 " up top.

• Like 1

Went on a Jeep ride at Royal Blue today (about 15ish miles north of John). We were about 2,600 feet elevation and had to turn around. Trail was getting waaaaay too treacherous. Temps were about 28, and WINDY. 95cddb811777c0b388a76405eaf77937.jpg&key=cedaf04da9b51221180addc8fa324dc01d650414634838c9b11d4ed2fc498c35

How rough do you all get when you ride. I’d like to trail ride but not risking the equipment. My Jeep isn’t set up for that and personally I don’t care much for it. This is my Jeep. 5947534b7edd24dbe2587242ff0cc9bf.jpg

• Like 1

How rough do you all get when you ride. I’d like to trail ride but not risking the equipment. My Jeep isn’t set up for that and personally I don’t care much for it. This is my Jeep. 5947534b7edd24dbe2587242ff0cc9bf.jpg&key=6701e69e527858a18b03d6514a34568a17b5015efe8610b96e5ff321ee9caed9

Nice Jeep!!! It’s just all depends honestly. That ride was in Royal Blue, on the west side of I-75. That area is mostly forest roads/trails.....some mud/dirt/gravel....and a few river crossings. The water can get deep in a few places. The east side of 75 of Royal Blue can be a bit more “wild”, and plenty more opportunities to damage your ride.

I’m like you in that I don’t want to damage my Jeep, so I stick to the trails that I’m comfortable with. I’m still pretty much stock, other than put 33s on, as well as Rubicon take-off springs/shocks. With that being said, I’m comfortable on SOME trails at Windrock, but prefer smaller groups of like-minded people that don’t have dedicated trail Jeep’s. If you want to get out and hit some roads/easy trails, look on Facebook for Smoky Mtn Jeep Club. All of their stuff is super easy and fun.

This pic is from the overlook at Windrock. 55ccfed708990261a97ed935471e8f43.jpg

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Greyhound said:

Nice Jeep!!! It’s just all depends honestly. That ride was in Royal Blue, on the west side of I-75. That area is mostly forest roads/trails.....some mud/dirt/gravel....and a few river crossings. The water can get deep in a few places. The east side of 75 of Royal Blue can be a bit more “wild”, and plenty more opportunities to damage your ride.

I’m like you in that I don’t want to damage my Jeep, so I stick to the trails that I’m comfortable with. I’m still pretty much stock, other than put 33s on, as well as Rubicon take-off springs/shocks. With that being said, I’m comfortable on SOME trails at Windrock, but prefer smaller groups of like-minded people that don’t have dedicated trail Jeep’s. If you want to get out and hit some roads/easy trails, look on Facebook for Smoky Mtn Jeep Club. All of their stuff is super easy and fun.

This pic is from the overlook at Windrock.

If you went across the bridge and up Turley (everyone calls it Red Ash, but it's not.) My great great grandfather lived on the very top of the mountain there where it cuts back towards either Scott County or on back into Red Ash/Caryville. I live on the East side of 75.

• Like 3

This pic is from the overlook at Windrock. 55ccfed708990261a97ed935471e8f43.jpg&key=6cc0de87919b2793f2e37a26c1a2dbf4283d9d0abbfecd06b03c47a30e71b2c7

I’ve got a 3” lift and 35’s. Changed out a lot of the front end myself that’s more suited for the highway than the trail. I would definitely like to go for a low anxiety ride just for fun. It’s my daily driver so I have to be careful. 9b25323df89ce1c7758ff6f97b0af5de.jpg&key=c9015cd78f76d476185ab6255e6b76abb55743a4f059b01dadb1eac9f10549b2

• Like 2

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic