Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 2021 Squallicane

Holston_River_Rambler

5 hours ago, John1122 said:

Up to quarters falling now. Probably 1/2, mile visibility. Heaviest snow so far. Temp went back up 1 degree when it started snowing hard. I've never seen temps fall when it's snowing less and rise when it gets harder. 

This is what I was mentioning last night. Temp dropped to 32.2 before the snow and then went up to 33.6 during and wouldn’t budge. It only dropped back to 32.2 at 7:40 this morning meaning the whole event never went below freezing. I measured 3 quarters of an inch but that was at 10Am so I’d imagine I would have gotten more had temps cooperated. Due to melting I am assuming  it was closer to an inch when the sun first came up.

• Like 1

Measured 1.70 " at home with moderate snow falling . Travelled to Middlesboro and took couple pics in Rose hill, where about 3" was on ground . 

Sun broke thru some breaks in clouds from Ewing to Mboro.  Melting taking place there. Got to Mboro and most had melted in town. A heavy squall came thru that was prob. 6" hour rate! Was listening for thunder but, heard none. If had all stuck, would of easily dropped an inch in that 10 minutes. Temp. Here in mboro is above freezing. 35.

20210116_121312.jpg

• Like 6

1 minute ago, 1234snow said:

Had a few squalls here but nothing more than a dusting. North east of Gate City has 2-3 inches as multiple squalls have trained all morning.

Sun is now out.

That’s how it is here. Can never really get more than about 1/4in total bc the sun comes out and melts it. It sure is pretty to look at. Too bad it’s not after dark as the sun wouldn’t be melting it. My temp fell back down to 30 degrees in that last squall that just came through! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jed33 said:

That’s how it is here. Can never really get more than about 1/4in total bc the sun comes out and melts it. It sure is pretty to look at. Too bad it’s not after dark as the sun wouldn’t be melting it. My temp fell back down to 30 degrees in that last squall that just came through! 

I think that's the band that's moving through here right now, very heavy but also small flakes 

• Like 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic