Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

5 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Yet folks have been concerned about our "good" period devolving into multiple cutters. lol GFS. Chances are better that these waves end up dampening/getting shoved too far south, as has been the tendency for awhile now.

You would think one of them would finally be a flush hit though. WDI and all.

I really do think as the ridge retrogrades and the trough backs into the east coast around the 28-30 somethings going to make it through the shred factory and amplify to the east coast.  That still doesn’t mean we get a flush hit. But that’s been the best chance in this whole progression for a while and still looks like it. 

2 hours ago, WVclimo said:

12Z PARA-GFS in fantasy range has an historic snowstorm for the coastal areas of SC, on par with Christmas 1989.

Takeaway from 12z suite...guidance is starting to see infiltration of arctic air into the pattern over the lower 48. It.may not be a huge window (end of Jan thru the first week of Feb??) before the PAC potentially goes back to crud. This is a good takeaway imo and definitely not a bad thing....unless of course you believe verbatim that N FL, GA, and SC get an historic snowstorm. That guidance again is just showing the cold depth finally.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Avdave said:

Im sure paying the price now though lol.  ITs been the same here as up there in your neck of the woods.   27.5" here since I moved in June 2016

In all seriousness, that number is well ahead of mine from June 2016 to the present here in Balt City. Wow, that's...that's disheartening as hell frankly. By the way, glad to hear from you in these parts again.

Actually, your timing on that move was equisite - like a weather Costanza leaving after the Jan. 2016 high note - "Well, that's it for me! I'm out!"

• Haha 1

Just now, Ralph Wiggum said:

Takeaway from 12z suite...guidance is starting to see infiltration of arctic air into the pattern over the lower 48. It.may not be a huge window (end of Jan thru the first week of Feb??) before the PAC potentially goes back to crud. This is a good takeaway imo and definitely not a bad thing....unless of course you believe verbatim that N FL, GA, and SC get an historic snowstorm. That guidance again is just showing the cold depth finally.

Wrt pac crud...if the blocking holds once the MJO moves out of 6 (assuming we don’t get some fooking 3 week standing wave there like last year) that trough in the pac NW should start to press east some under the block. It’s not a cold pattern but in February that’s not a shutout look. We would get a trough along the east coast and some handoff of energy between the two. Of course lately everything’s a shutout pattern so who knows. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

I really do think as the ridge retrogrades and the trough backs into the east coast around the 28-30 somethings going to make it through the shred factory and amplify to the east coast.  That still doesn’t mean we get a flush hit. But that’s been the best chance in this whole progression for a while and still looks like it. 

I agree. I haven't done more than glance at the op runs until today- waste of time imo esp in this pattern and in the day 8-10 range- but poring over the ens runs, I have never felt like a cutter was very likely to be the way we might fail next week.

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I agree. I haven't done more than glance at the op runs until today- waste of time imo esp in this pattern and in the day 8-10 range- but poring over the ens runs, I have never felt like a cutter was very likely to be the way we might fail next week.

Not snowing has always been the most likely way we fail. We have gotten quite skilled at that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

In all seriousness, that number is well ahead of mine from June 2016 to the present here in Balt City. Wow, that's...that's disheartening as hell frankly. By the way, glad to hear from you in these parts again.

Actually, your timing on that move was equisite - like a weather Costanza leaving after the Jan. 2016 high note - "Well, that's it for me! I'm out!"

Sorry, you guys will make it up soon enough up there.  Love the constanza line lol.  timing wasnt bad at all , for a change lol

Not snowing has always been the most likely way we fail. We have gotten quite skilled at that. 

Sad but true!

Surprise events like January 25, 1985 and January 25, 2000 are the best!  ;)

Something about the 25th of the first month and guess what?  Looks like Jan 25 2021 may deliver something.

• Like 1

@CAPE gefs is either about to score its biggest coup ever or it’s off on one of its old school not a clue tangents. This is no time for America to start to get its act together. 

Outside of the mid-December storm, no threat has really survived past D7 this winter. So next 24-48 hours will be illuminating on whether this doesn’t start falling off a cliff. Those other long range threats all ended up suppressed too.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1