Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

2 minutes ago, Yeoman said:

Another late Jan climo map for 15 days - valid for any given year

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I personally feel the probability of above normal climo snowfall is heightened from Jan 25 th to Feb 10 th. Time will tell. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Just the way it's supposed to work with a west based block and a 50-50 low. We have all the features in the right places. No high sliding off the east coast with return flow wrecking the airmass in front.

Exactly but it’s been so long people probably forget how it works.  A couple of those 2010 storms had primaries get pretty far NW also...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Exactly but it’s been so long people probably forget how it works.  A couple of those 2010 storms had primaries get pretty far NW also...

I remember the first storm in Feb the temp was 36 when the first flakes started to fall. In a more typical setup, that would be rain in no time. But with the blocking pattern and the surface features right where we want them, the temp quickly fell to freezing, then into the mid 20s within a couple hours with heavy snow. Dynamical cooling works, but evaporational cooling is more effective.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

That looks like quick thump to rain to me.

The transfer is pretty much perfect, and the flow is from the NE between the HP over Canada and the 50-50 low. The cold stays locked in. Now it may not play out that way in reality, but that's how it goes down this run, and its exactly what I want to see.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

BAMWX- not buying the cold

Anyone noticed they used the F scale not C. And the color scale has every half degree. So it’s a general 2 degree F difference over a 7 day period a week away. That’s not unusual variance run to run. Their presentation skews the perception imo. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Anyone noticed they used the F scale not C. And the color scale has every half degree. So it’s a general 2 degree F difference over a 7 day period a week away. That’s not unusual variance run to run. Their presentation skews the perception imo. 

They have a bit of a bias.

Pin on Holiday: Christmas/Winter & New Year's Eve

• Like 2
  • Haha 4