Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

1 hour ago, jayyy said:

It ain’t over for sure! Actually think this depicted storm will be our second to last shot at a biggie. There will likely be another shot at a big storm after the pattern reloads in mid March (The last hurrah). Some long range guidance is hinting at another attempt at high latitude blocking around the March 14th timeframe. Will it be tough? Yep. Will it be 40-50, maybe even touch 60 some days over the next 4-6 weeks? Yep. But there’s plenty of evidence that we will have at least 2 more windows of opportunity - including a Miller A meeting a nicely timed cold shot mid month. I don’t see anything in the EPS GEFS or EC that screams that the kiss of death for winter is upon us. Not even close. 

I totally agree. Even the worst of winters, except maybe last year, were most definitely not over this early. To be quite honest, I’m not far from being at the point where I’d like to see some sun and warmth so this isn’t wishcasting on my part. I seriously doubt that we are done with cold and wintry weather.

• Like 1

Winter comes regardless of snow. Just thought I'd chime in on that.

Kind of lost faith in any models this year. Either the technology isn't fine tuned enough or historical patterns have less validity. I'm not a met, so heck if I know. But it's almost comical and bizarre the amount of maps that swing wildly (snow total wise) as systems set up and form. Maybe the public has access to too many clown maps now.  If you live in a complex climate region for snow there's really no need in getting too fixated about high amounts. Sometimes you gotta take what you got and enjoy it. Or move your butt to Maine, Michigan, or anywhere in snow climo. They don't even care about the stuff up there, they get so much. Trust me, I got people up there and they complain about too much snow! Grass is greener, lol. Or whiter! Are you really gonna do anything more with a foot of snow than 4 inches, other than the cool factor?

It's only a big deal in this region because of the challenge of forecasting. I'm a snow lover, but I ain't diving off a bridge about it. And if it hangs around too long it gets funky and dirty lookin'. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I totally agree. Even the worst of winters, except maybe last year, were most definitely not over this early. To be quite honest, I’m not far from being at the point where I’d like to see some sun and warmth so this isn’t wishcasting on my part. I seriously doubt that we are done with cold and wintry weather.

Mid 50s later this week! 

5 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

How about 70's in 8 days?

sfct.us_ma.png

5 hours ago, Weather Will said:

WB 12Z PARA says snow end of the week...

0CA0F12A-75C7-4967-B15C-A0652E8A8765.png

This is what I was referring to @Ji . Yeah, we’re gonna torch for a few days around March 1st. And we may very well see 4-8” 2 days before. Cold air in place with a ton of warm air down south = a dynamic environment for a juicy Gulf storm. Let’s roll with it. Keep our expectations realistic, and I think we’ll be pleasantly surprised come end of March. 

54 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Just saw that. This event is strange in that models keep showing it and then completely losing it. May be a surprise in store 

Those are usually the storms that pan out for us, right!? (I kid. Just being blindly optimistic) Feel like that used to happen fairly frequently back in the day though. Euro and long range GFS would sniff out a threat in the 7-10 day range, lose it, then get it back day in the 4-5 day timeframe. Maybe we get lucky and score 2 little events this week

41 minutes ago, StormchaserChuck! said:

Shades of last year in Pacific, and the last few years

9.gif.7d2baf5553319aa24e2a4ea03074a825.gif

99.gif.7ef67644e209aed766cdeb7549600568.gif

999.gif.a3e3eaa24a86034fea3629e3a530a3c9.gif

It continues

8.gif.0d4c0580b188126ceedaba4c9392a222.gif

88.gif.f2031817fb20610a4909868509312805.gif

I like this analog

7.gif.4dddedebd036220d3b9899aff6d6eaf6.gif

66.gif.2711ab32f69d23c546d5411382c724a6.gif

Wild card is potential Kelvin Wave, and we'll have a completely different scenario

6.thumb.gif.5ad733ca2759408cd321dd4a54ab0d74.gif

,it will be opposite than last year. Something to watch out for.

You realize that this 2021 right? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

He isn’t wrong that the pac pattern has been the same for 5 years now. And yea it’s very likely to continue. But the last 4 years the March pattern was very different each year depending on other factors. 

I recall you mentioned that it seems like this change suddenly became more prevalent after our Super Nino. This is a rather novice question, but would a strong Nina help change some of that PAC forcing? Or is that pattern just being more amplified by our current base state?

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

He isn’t wrong that the pac pattern has been the same for 5 years now. And yea it’s very likely to continue. But the last 4 years the March pattern was very different each year depending on other factors. 

And we didn’t have blocking for 10 years. Past occurrence doesn’t predict the future.

15 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I recall you mentioned that it seems like this change suddenly became more prevalent after our Super Nino. This is a rather novice question, but would a strong Nina help change some of that PAC forcing? Or is that pattern just being more amplified by our current base state?

Yeah crazy man

5a.png

5b.png

5c.png

5d.png

5e.png

5f.png

5g.png

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I honestly don’t know. There is speculation the SSTs in the Indian Ocean are partially to blame also. 

9 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Both Euro and Para with a nice front end mini thump for many areas  overnight Friday.  Good timing being overnight atm. Have to see where it goes from here . Long ways out .

Add the CMC to the list 

I don't care for the look on the means, but I suppose it could improve. Again the synoptic setup as advertised is pretty hostile for eastern portions of the region.

• Like 2