Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

22 minutes ago, StormchaserChuck! said:

Today is the start of Spring.. no going back.

I knew it standing outside today in the flurries.. today is the start of Spring. 

Not sure if you knew this but you make this process of tracking winter fails less fun...if that’s possible. 

30 minutes ago, howrdcounty snow said:

very good read

Friday Funny: nature makes a mockery of month-ahead model forecasts.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2021/02/19/friday-funny-nature-makes-a-mockery-of-month-ahead-model-forecasts/

Please do not post this without cross-checking its sources. While short-range climate forecasts possess lower (but positive!) skill, trying to equivocate these with GCMs is a faulty argument on several levels and requires a rebutting that would derail this thread.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, BristowWx said:

Not sure if you knew this but you make this process of tracking winter fails less fun...if that’s possible. 

embrace the warmth - with vaccines ramping up, the warmth coming.. this might be one of the most amazing summers in our country's history.  can you even imagine all the pent up demand just to do stuff with other people?

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, Ji said:
1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:
ICON = ICANDY

Gfs=Shortwave shredder

given the seasonal trend...that is very likely how this ends.  All our storms that took a favorable track (and yea they did it just ended up too warm anyways) started out as cutters at this range and trended south to the point they tracked under us...then ended up too warm anyways but still...  Past results do NOT guarantee anything and trends can change anytime...but seasonal trend would argue this gets shredded and suppressed if its already showing as such at this range.  

10 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

There are 3 waves in close proximity from Thursday to Monday next week. They will all influence each other. I have no confidence in any solution but there is a decent chance one clips us. It wouldn’t shock me if it ends up the 3rd one that right now looks like an amped up cutter given seasonal trends. 

monday.thumb.png.ba8abf7065c8dcd2368972cf0d28e4eb.png

5 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

given the seasonal trend...that is very likely how this ends.  All our storms that took a favorable track (and yea they did it just ended up too warm anyways) started out as cutters at this range and trended south to the point they tracked under us...then ended up too warm anyways but still...  Past results do NOT guarantee anything and trends can change anytime...but seasonal trend would argue this gets shredded and suppressed if its already showing as such at this range.  

0z EPS is a sheared out suppressed wave. Then the suppressive NS energy moves out, east coast ridges, while the trough digs out west. The next wave looks healthy, but warm. Still time for it to trend better I suppose, but the currently advertised look up top says not likely. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, pazzo83 said:

embrace the warmth - with vaccines ramping up, the warmth coming.. this might be one of the most amazing summers in our country's history.  can you even imagine all the pent up demand just to do stuff with other people?

2021 has the potential to be one of the best years of my life. I'm hoping it's the year I get engaged.

As for the weather, March is looking really damn warm especially in the first week. If only last spring had that warmth when the lockdowns were just getting started...

• Like 12

06z GFS ensembles are trying to build a -NAO at Days 14-15, but I think that is to counter the Polar Vortex setting up over Alaska and the Bering Straight. I have also seen this bias with the last few Stratosphere warmings in time, they build on long range models, but dampen in closer time. Despite all the data/statistics/analogs I have posted about a -NAO March, I think the 33month trend is going to rule here. 

2 hours ago, Fozz said:

2021 has the potential to be one of the best years of my life. I'm hoping it's the year I get engaged.

As for the weather, March is looking really damn warm especially in the first week. If only last spring had that warmth when the lockdowns were just getting started...

Lol... que the 12z runs gfs/para and a persistent east coast trough with a building -NAO. Wouldn’t bet against March blocking this year given the seasonal trends (really going back to last fall).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ji said:

winter looks dead....i dont see how we recover from this? its pretty much march

Seriously? We can already see that this weeks warm up, and likely the one after that will be short lived and could very well have snow chances on either side of them. Winter is not over. Not here, and not for your area either, IMO. Some of our best all time snows have occurred during volatile patterns. We always don’t need a -NAO/-AO/-EPO/+PNA pattern to get a biggie - or any snowstorm for that matter. In fact, this area does just fine in a neutral, and even slightly positive NAO state.

March will come in like a lion for many of us in this forum. 80s in Florida and over the gulf, meet arctic air. Will there be some days in the 40s and 50s? Yes. 100%. There’s nothing to lock in deep arctic air long term. However, There will be plenty of cold shots coming into the plains/northeast, and plenty of systems developing and tracking through an active SJS. We will need a few pieces to fall into place - timing of cold air and a storm - SE ridge relaxing a bit and a temporary neutral or PNA  , but that’s perfectly okay. I know @psuhoffman @Bob Chill and @clskinsfan could probably list off a good number of second half of season storms that occurred during less than ideal patterns ie: +NAO +AO patterns. I actually that think our area’s propensity to be within 50-100 miles of the transition zone will pay off big time in the next few weeks. 

Stay strong, @Ji   I know it’s been a tough winter. Your latitude has been extremely unlucky for a multitude of reasons. But don’t fret. We’ve got this. Channel your inner @WinterWxLuvr and get on the train!!!

• Weenie 1

44 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

WB EPS Control in long range (March 3) throws a bone.  My gut says there will be one more shot before it’s over...

7397C39D-D6D5-46B3-BBED-F825BE178B1B.png

E89F304D-7DB4-4C8D-B1F0-290122E22347.png

It ain’t over for sure! Actually think this depicted storm will be our second to last shot at a biggie. There will likely be another shot at a big storm after the pattern reloads in mid March (The last hurrah). Some long range guidance is hinting at another attempt at high latitude blocking around the March 14th timeframe. Will it be tough? Yep. Will it be 40-50, maybe even touch 60 some days over the next 4-6 weeks? Yep. But there’s plenty of evidence that we will have at least 2 more windows of opportunity - including a Miller A meeting a nicely timed cold shot mid month. I don’t see anything in the EPS GEFS or EC that screams that the kiss of death for winter is upon us. Not even close. 

• Haha 1