Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea that was the January one. Was the February storm snow/sleet mix up here?  Was all sleet in northern VA. 

Yeah that storm was a huge temp rollercoaster.    In CT we had a few inches of snow, heavy rain with temps in the mid 40s, then another inch of snow and a flash freeze. School buses were getting into accidents the next morning.

28 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

@WinterWxLuvr 

Look at the left hand side of the sounding. The bar graph shows omega/lift at various altitudes. The denritic growth zone (DGZ) is marked in red. Super short answer is you want the biggest bars between the red lines. On this sounding car alarms are going off and visibility is -.5 miles. Yes, it's a minus sign. You can only see what happened half a mile ago cuz it's atomic puking

iIZiaWY.png

Maybe I’m not reading it right but the temp seems to spike between 600-700. And pretty big time too. So it just stays all snow despite that warm layer? Or what am I doing wrong? 

1 minute ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

Maybe I’m not reading it right but the temp seems to spike between 600-700. And pretty big time too. So it just stays all snow despite that warm layer? Or what am I doing wrong? 

Look at the 0 line. It moves up to the right. You want all of the bands to be below that line for snow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WVclimo said:

The 12k NAM output for here matches February 14, 2007.  3-6" of snow then 3" of sleet before a quarter-inch of freezing rain.  That one was one of the most impactful winter storms I've seen here. Only time I could walk on top of snowpack without breaking through. Just a surreal scene.

Epic lake effect around that time. 

11 minutes ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

Zero line is dotted. All levels good. Rides the 0 line but it's 100% an all snow pounding in that frame

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Almost 25 years ago and you guys still don't let me ever live that one down. Sorry I ever asked.

In one of HMs threads on Twitter last week Colin canceled winter im like what talk about holding onto character for 20 years...yeesh

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Wow--I knew the reverberation in this forum was long...but dang it was THAT long since you said that? Lol (wait do you literally mean 25 years?)

Was in an MIRC chat with Ian, Randy may have been there, Marcus, Jerry from the NE forum and others...1998ish. I was at college class. Came home and popped on and asked. They never let me live it down. Then asked again tongue in cheek years later on eastern and that was all she wrote.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Zero line is dotted. All levels good. Rides the 0 line but it's 100% an all snow pounding in that frame

So I think I’m reading this wrong. Because I’m looking at the line as it curves and it bends way warmer than 0° before it falls to the ground. How are you supposed to actually read it?

Edit: I don’t know why but when I dictate these replies it pays a duplicate.Currently smoking a cigarette in my attic window like a teenager.

1 minute ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

So I think I’m reading this wrong. Because I’m looking at the line as it curves and it bends way warmer than 0° before it falls to the ground. How are you supposed to actually read it?

Edit: I don’t know why but when I dictate these replies it pays a duplicate.

The dotted line that goes diagonal from the 0c at the bottom is the 0c line