Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

Just now, umdterps29 said:

I agree that the superstition about starting a thread is silly but at the same time why are people so antsy to start a thread? Doesn’t change anything 

That's the rational explanation.  But after 40 years following DC weather, I can't fully agree.  It's entirely possible we're being reasonable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7
  • Weenie 1

12 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I never got the superstition about threads...just start it now.

It's dumb.  Always has been and it used to irritate me with the "see, you started a thread, that's why the storm isn't happening".  Yes, because parcels of air and temperatures are sentient and check this board before deciding what to do.   

I'm zen about it now.  I may just start it anyway.  Not sure why I'm bending to this superstition shit.  I'm going to at least let the GFS come in first.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

It's dumb.  Always has been and it used to irritate me with the "see, you started a thread, that's why the storm isn't happening".  Yes, because parcels of air and temperatures are sentient and check this board before deciding what to do.   

I'm zen about it now.  I may just start it anyway.  Not sure why I'm bending to this superstition shit.  I'm going to at least let the GFS come in first.

You have a bad track record of thread starts in DC this winter. If we’re being superstitious, you need to stay away from the ‘start new topic’ button. :P

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Just because we're irrational, doesn't mean we're wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, umdterps29 said:

I agree that the superstition about starting a thread is silly but at the same time why are people so antsy to start a thread? Doesn’t change anything 

The problem with starting a storm thread too early has nothing to Do with superstition. The earlier you start a thread the more chances you have of a major adjustment. 4 days out just leaves too much adjustments in forecast. 

1 hour ago, Chris78 said:

It's a good year. I had 16" 2 weeks ago at 750' In elevation. Cascade/blue ridge summit area maxed out with 22" or so. But those areas are always 4 to 6 degrees cooler than Smithsburg or Thurmont. 

Right now we are at 34 and plain rain and just a couple miles away/600 feet up  its 29 heavy glazing on Blue Ridge Summit Right.  That area is a living jackpot.