• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

Euro continued the trend of having confluence linger north of us (which hasn't stopped for maybe the past 48-72hrs), but it seems like the SW might be a bit amped and it's a bit slower, allowing heights to rise a bit in front. At least that's the explanation that I can see, since the GFS is like 6hrs faster and doesn't allow heights to rise as much in front. 

6 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Man, you were up my way! Amazing how much snow pack the catoctins/ cascade area  still have. I travel route 77 over the catoctins ( Cunningham falls state park)  each day to work and they still have well over a foot on the ground. They'll probably have a snow pack up there through the first half of March. 

Is that normal for up there or just a good year?  I know the one coop in the area averages about what I do but they could be in a local minimum. 

6 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Euro Continued the trend of having confluence linger north of us (which hasn't stopped for maybe the past 48-72hrs), but it seems like the SW might be a bit amped and it's a bit slower, allowing heights to rise a bit in front. At least that's the explanation that I can see, since the GFS is like 6hrs faster and doesn't allow heights to rise as much in front. 

This is how much QPF falls before 850s give way (and 700s shortly after) for DC and southeast. Areas NW hold onto snow longer.

ecmwf-deterministic-dc-precip_24hr_inch-3671200.png

• Like 2

Just now, CAPE said:

lol I realize that.

Haha I'm so bitter man. I feel for you. I grew up in Ellicott City, lived in Seattle for a two years (where I actually got lucky with a couple storms), then was absolutely blessed to live in Yonkers and Harlem for six years total. 

I can honestly say that Ellicott City is closer to New York than DC. Like, it's not even close. This is miserable. 

38 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

it is pathetic compared to the 6-12” shown on the GFS/PARA/UK/Euro/CMC.  When we have a consensus across ALL guidance for a bigger event I don’t think there is anything wrong with setting the bar higher. But you NEVER hear me complain during an event. If we only get a few inches so be it. But we can and should aim higher here. 

Yeah you're a teacher alright :lol:

8 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Continued the trend of having confluence linger north of us (which hasn't stopped for maybe the past 48-72hrs), but it seems like the SW might be a bit amped and it's a bit slower, allowing heights to rise a bit in front. At least that's the explanation that I can see, since the GFS is like 6hrs faster. 

You’re right.  Great post!  The improvements continued in front. Better confluence. High holding better. But the SW was slower and amped more so it offset those improvements. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

With the elevation and maxing out qpf with upslope that area jackpots.   I need to move that way.    

I guess it depends on the year. They have about 500 feet on me which can make a difference. And if storms track inside being further west can help. On the other hand there have been years like 2010 and 2014 where this area did better because they were too far west to Jack a few times. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

You’re right.  Great post!  The improvements continued in front. Better confluence. High holding better. But the SW was slower and amped more so it offset those improvements. 

Yeah I thought it looked great up top and out in front. Tad slower though. 0z will be telling. :weenie:

And yes great post by him. He continues to impress.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Yeah, it's pretty apparent to see those differences in timing when comparing the GFS to the Euro. GFS already has 0.3-0.4" of precip as of 12z Thursday in areas where the event hasn't even started on the Euro. I believe it's the slowest of all OPs at the moment.