Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

There is nothing more I need to see from the globals.  They are all close to showing max potential inside 72 hours. At this point I just want to see the NAM cave. Totally fully and completely cave and spit out some NAMd worthy 15” solution. Yea it’s (and it’s idiotic SREF friends) probably wrong but I want that option off the table because probably isn’t definitely and snow is serious business 

Couldn't agree more. And the NAM has been hot this year. And the NAM--as I'm saying now for the upteenth time--is NOT a bad model. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

dang look at Mass and upstate NY

Don’t look now but if the globals are right it’s not that far from a mostly (or dare we dream all) snow solution now. One or two more adjustments south and it is. I’m not sure we even want that though. This is the type of storm where the max accumulations and impact will be places right along and just into the mix zone that get the initial thump then some sleet. The all snow zone will likely feature slightly lighter accumulations. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Don’t look now but if the globals are right it’s not that far from a mostly (or dare we dream all) snow solution now. One or two more adjustments south and it is. I’m not sure we even want that though. This is the type of storm where the max accumulations and impact will be places right along and just into the mix zone that get the initial thump then some sleet. The all snow zone will likely feature slightly lighter accumulations. 

GFS furthest south NAM furthest NW

23 minutes ago, mappy said:

Funny isn’t it 

it is pathetic compared to the 6-12” shown on the GFS/PARA/UK/Euro/CMC.  When we have a consensus across ALL guidance for a bigger event I don’t think there is anything wrong with setting the bar higher. But you NEVER hear me complain during an event. If we only get a few inches so be it. But we can and should aim higher here. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I don’t want an all snow solution. I want 6” of snow,1/2” of sleet, 1/4” of ice. Perfection. The beauty of snow with staying power of Tom Brady.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

GFS furthest south NAM furthest NW

The spread is crazy though. The gfs is slightly SE of the other globals but honestly the globals on a whole are in amazing agreement. Most consensus we’ve had all season really. Then the NAM is in its own parallel universe.  At 72 hours the globals have the snow/sleet line running through northern VA and near DC. The NAM has it around Binghamton. I’ve rarely seen that much divergence before.  And it actually starts earlier then that. By like 48 hours you can see major differences to our west that lead to the tangent solution.  It’s weird. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, snowfan said:

Also a bit amusing that the person w supposedly the most season to date snowfall in the sub outside of the far western areas is telling us that a 2-4” snow to ice event is pathetic. 

He doesn’t have the most snow in the sub, and 2-4 to mix / rain is kind of pathetic - especially when places like Oklahoma City are seeing 2 major snowstorms this week lol  

Just now, jayyy said:

He doesn’t have the most snow in the sub, and 2-4 to mix / rain is kind of pathetic lol 

Yea I took a trip up to penn mar park on Catoctin/South Mountain today with the kids. Played in the snow. Now they have true snowpack. I was envious.  At least double what I have here. More like triple. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

it is pathetic compared to the 6-12” shown on the GFS/PARA/UK/Euro/CMC.  When we have a consensus across ALL guidance for a bigger event I don’t think there is anything wrong with setting the bar higher. But you NEVER hear me complain during an event. If we only get a few inches so be it. But we can and should aim higher here. 

Okie dokie 

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea I took a trip up to penn mar park on Catoctin/South Mountain today with the kids. Played in the snow. Now they have true snowpack. I was envious.  At least double what I have here. More like triple. 

Man, you were up my way! Amazing how much snow pack the catoctins/ cascade area  still have. I travel route 77 over the catoctins ( Cunningham falls state park)  each day to work and they still have well over a foot on the ground. They'll probably have a snow pack up there through the first half of March. 

19 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The spread is crazy though. The gfs is slightly SE of the other globals but honestly the globals on a whole are in amazing agreement. Most consensus we’ve had all season really. Then the NAM is in its own parallel universe.  At 72 hours the globals have the snow/sleet line running through northern VA and near DC. The NAM has it around Binghamton. I’ve rarely seen that much divergence before.  And it actually starts earlier then that. By like 48 hours you can see major differences to our west that lead to the tangent solution.  It’s weird. 

RGEM is there too though. Not quite as much but nothing like the globals.