Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

Just now, EHoffman said:

1:30pm on Monday and we officially have our first "stop the south trend, we're going to get fringed" concern post.  I love it.

Oh you haven't seen nothing yet.  Wait until PSU gets in this mofo.   This is how we know we're all gonna get a good storm, including him.  When he starts fretting about being fringed, get out the shovels

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Just now, HighStakes said:

Juice it up just a touch and keep it right where it is now and we're good. Hopefully no BS last minute drastic changes.

Not saying it happens with this one, maybe the confluence will just win out but there has been somewhat of a trend to suppress things (get it to go south) in the 48-84 hour ranges and then the inevitable north shift in the 24 hours to gametime frame...just something to think about is all, I mean most of us would probably still be good for a thump even if that happens

3 minutes ago, EHoffman said:

1:30pm on Monday and we officially have our first "stop the south trend, we're going to get fringed" concern post.  I love it.

But also, this you bruh?

3 hours ago, EHoffman said:

Writing on the wall already for this one...has the making of a classic wet snow that doesn't accumulate to brief sleet to rain for DC.  I've seen this storm many times before.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Euro just caused me a huge problem. I disrobed at hr78 but that's normal. Then someone knocked on my door and forgot I had no clothes on. Waiting for arraignment. If I need money for bail I'll post a gofundme link later

I’ll definitely contribute, BC. I understand that Panic Room complex residents get extra time stay chits for the same behavior. The Reaper is much more progressive..as always ...

1 minute ago, Baltimorewx said:

Not saying it happens with this one, maybe the confluence will just win out but there has been somewhat of a trend to suppress things (get it to go south) in the 48-84 hour ranges and then the inevitable north shift in the 24 hours to gametime frame...just something to think about is all, I mean most of us would probably still be good for a thump even if that happens

The positive is there is really good model consensus for a good thump and right now most areas have some wiggle room.

• Like 2

If we can get a nice 6-8” thump before sleet and a dry slot, that’s the ultimate outcome with a storm tracking over us or to our west. Can’t ask for much better than that in our area in this type of setup.

Man… Just imagine we could somehow get the SLP / the 850 low to track to our south.  This would be a monster. Afraid we’re too close for that drastic of a trend but damn, it’d be nice. Whoever stays all snow just NW of the fall line is going to get destroyed.  

1 minute ago, jayyy said:

If we can get a nice 6-8” thump before sleet and a dry slot, that’s the ultimate outcome with a storm tracking over us or to our west. Can’t ask for much better than that in our area in this type of setup.

Man… Just imagine we could somehow get the SLP / the 850 low to track to our south.  This would be a monster. Afraid we’re too close for that drastic of a trend but damn, it’d be nice. Whoever stays all snow just NW of the fall line is going to get destroyed.  

You want a little freezing rain. Or at least I do. That’s gives you the concrete on top.

• Like 2

Plenty of time for this

6 minutes ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

How on Earth is that snow?

See the flat h5 isobars over new england? That's blocking high pressure from running away and the antecedent airmass is plenty cold for a time. 3 days ago it was a ridge highway for cold to run away faster than Usain Bolt. Even with "above normal heights", the starting point with temps prior is below normal and fairly deep cold to our north to boot. 

The crux of our problem (easily escaping cold high pressure) has morphed into something different. It's still a deep trough too far west and not enough blocking to keep the entire thing south of us. When CPA and NYC are bone dry on models we can worry about suppression. I see no way for that to happen in just 3 days tho

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Here's the 0z euro from the 13th. Just a few days ago. Not a damn thing in the way to hold the cold from hightailing it to the arctic circle. That "sneaky" little closed ULL to our north is practically 100% responsible for the shift towards good fortunes. We often get fooked by sneaky features. This time we needed one desperately and we got tossed a bone. 

ecmwf_z500a_us_6.png

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

I posted the wrong euro h5 panel in my OP (0z instead of 12z) but it doesnt change the point I was trying to make. Compare today's 12z @ hr60 to a string of previous runs. It's pretty sweet to look at and literally a small miracle we're possibly backing into an ok event here. 

Noob. Old Bob Chill would never make that mistake

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I posted the wrong euro h5 panel in my OP (0z instead of 12z) but it doesnt change the point I was trying to make. Compare today's 12z @ hr60 to a string of previous runs. It's pretty sweet to look at and literally a small miracle we're possibly backing into an ok event here. 

So post the right one.

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

Anybody else think it is suspicious that this EHoffman guy shows up magically to take all the heat off of PSUHoffman just when he was defending himself from his NAM related concerns? 

In all seriousness, the trends have been good for the last 24 hours or so on the models wrt both track and thermals, even for down here in Augusta County.  Let's weather will this thing home!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4