Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

6 minutes ago, Ruin said:

Funny thing is my forecasts are saying 41 for friday morning showers. So not sure if all the models are saying below freezing and snow and ice why the forecast is that off.

Probably just in catch up mode. Things just started looking more wintry after days of looking like a pure rain maker. I'm sure if this is a real trend and it continues into tomorrow, the weather app forecasts will start to resemble it. 

1 minute ago, Steve25 said:

What? It's 3-5 days away. Literally all you can do is talk about the model outcomes right now. I understand if your bitter that model snow has not turned into real snow in multiple cases, but you're going to get annoyed with people for posting model results in a thread that is made for doing just that? 

Exactly!! As I said if people aren’t here to ‘listen’ to good weather people and see what’s happening with the models then go watch ‘Netflix and chill’.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Awilson said:

Hey i posted 3 hour frames and people got there nuts tied around there necks about it lol

But that was because it was clogging up the thread and a lot of them were uneventful frames. I think you had the best of intentions but they share the eventful model frames in these threads and discuss. 

• Like 1

Just now, Steve25 said:

But that was because it was clogging up the thread and a lot of them were uneventful frames. I don't think you had the best of intentions but they share the eventful model frames in these threads and discuss. 

Yeah i know I’m just making light of the whole situation, but hey now i know, 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

I mean, its plenty cold, just going by the old rule that heavier rates aren't as "good" for accretion.  Lot of that could just run off if it's super heavy.  I dunno.  We might wanna ask one of those guys with the red tags to be sure.

That’s very true but it only works to a degree.  First of all the gfs is awful with surface CAD so whatever warming we get from the heavier rain is likely offset by the fact the gfs is probably running a couple degrees too warm if it’s right about everything else. Also if it’s mid 20s or colder some if not most of that will freeze. It was pouring rain a few times in 1994 and accumulated ice. But the key is it was 25 not 30 degrees. Even if not all of the rain there freezes that would be a major ice event as shown Imo.  

• Like 1

This could be a bad one irt ice even if there's heavy rain. It's cold af leading in. Possibly cold enough to freeze the ground. Things like roads/bridges could potentially be in the 20's when the snow/sleet starts even in the close burbs. I've seen rain freeze on contact with air temp above freezing when the night before is cold enough.  

The good thing is the theoretical snow/sleet would cover everything first and make zr less of a hazard. But temps could be in the teens in some favored places wed night. There's like a better than 0% chance DCA gets below freezing before onset. Sounds like crazy talk but maybe... just maybe...

• Like 5
  • Weenie 1

27 minutes ago, Steve25 said:

Probably just in catch up mode. Things just started looking more wintry after days of looking like a pure rain maker. I'm sure if this is a real trend and it continues into tomorrow, the weather app forecasts will start to resemble it. 

Ah thanks but its funny cause I went frim seeing 38 on friday yesterday to 41 for friday today but that explains it lol.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Steve25 said:

What? It's 3-5 days away. Literally all you can do is talk about the model outcomes right now. I understand if your bitter that model snow has not turned into real snow in multiple cases, but you're going to get annoyed with people for posting model results in a thread that is made for doing just that? 

I haven’t missed this lately 

7 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

WB 18Z GEFS...850s continue to improve compared to 12Z; question  Not clear if we are hoping for a more suppressed track or is the low reforming off the coast?

That ship may have already sailed but there's still a way to win big if 850s push far enough south and confluence fights off some of the southerly flow with precip. You've heard us say thump to dryslot a lot around here but they've always found ways to not work out last few years. This one has the ingredients so far but much skepticism remains until much closer range. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The storm on the ICON would be really bad. Just look at its precip totals and ground temps. Wow.

Also, question for anyone who wants it ... would more cad, meaning a wider wedge if that makes any sense, be a setup where a low transfer to the coast becomes more likely. (Better boundary?) The thing that keeps catching my eye is that low track up the west side of the apps. I’d love to see that low to Chattanooga and then jump. I’m sure we all would.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

That ship may have already sailed but there's still a way to win big if 850s push far enough south and confluence fights off some of the southerly flow with precip. You've heard us say thump to dryslot a lot around here but they've always found ways to not work out last few years. This one has the ingredients so far but much skepticism remains until much closer range. 

The dryslot part always works out. The thump though...:yikes:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I was envisioning the front side of the thurs storm and started thinking about how the onset would look. Even though the high is locked in too far north, it's still strong and there's still confluence. Theoretically, that wall of cold will push back against the warm moist flow and streaming precip from the south. It will be on the move but precip could be heavy at the beginning and snow if things work out. 700mb fronto panels on the 18z gfs agree

gfs_temp_adv_fgen_700_neus_16.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Obviously this is not happening exactly this way....but it illustrates that any of those waves in the long range is a threat to get suppressed so long as we have blocking this time of year. 
ECA48BAE-979F-4A27-BC05-1BD91E623368.thumb.png.a68a7b363a9b9811bc7ec93d80e939a1.png

Watch the low in that setup. Almost identical placement to ours on Thursday. That one in yours then jumps off the coast at Norfolk. Ours Thursday heads straight to Rochester. Not very typical.

• Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Watch the low in that setup. Almost identical placement to ours on Thursday. That one in yours then jumps off the coast at Norfolk. Ours Thursday heads straight to Rochester. Not very typical.

The flow to our north is a little more blocked for that storm at 330. Not perfect, -NAO is east based and the 50/50 is a bit north but still there is some mechanism to suppress. This week we are relying on a dying tpv as it gets absorbed into the flow to temporarily knock down heights and create suppression. But once that feature abates there is nothing to stop it from cutting. Our only path to keeping the low to our south is of it gets suppressed enough early on to get it under us then it can lift north once to the coast. But once the influence of that tpv feature relaxes it likely will lift north pretty drastically. The trough axis is amplified pretty far west with no blocking. 

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

The storm on the ICON would be really bad. Just look at its precip totals and ground temps. Wow.

Also, question for anyone who wants it ... would more cad, meaning a wider wedge if that makes any sense, be a setup where a low transfer to the coast becomes more likely. (Better boundary?) The thing that keeps catching my eye is that low track up the west side of the apps. I’d love to see that low to Chattanooga and then jump. I’m sure we all would.

Doesn't it tend to run warm too?