Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

1 hour ago, WVclimo said:

Came across this quote in a Baltimore Sun article about the ‘94 ice storms:

Feb. 10-11, an extraordinary 4 inches of sleet fell at BWI. On the 11th, the precipitation type changed 10 times.

Can you imagine the reaction of this board if we had a repeat of that ?  Lol.

I got 3 inches of sleet my first or second year here - 2017ish? That was one of the most memorable storms I’ve ever been in.

a car tried backing over it like it was snow and got stuck lol.

2 hours ago, WVclimo said:

Came across this quote in a Baltimore Sun article about the ‘94 ice storms:

Feb. 10-11, an extraordinary 4 inches of sleet fell at BWI. On the 11th, the precipitation type changed 10 times.

Can you imagine the reaction of this board if we had a repeat of that ?  Lol.

I remember that. We got 3 inches of sleet on the ground. I was jebwalking on that glacier then ended up slithering down hills like a snowbound lemming.

That, was pure ecstasy! 

Ever try sledding down a sleet covered hill that has glacierized? I was going FAST! I felt like Chuck Yeager at the Winter Olympics. There was NO stopping. I went super fast down the icy hill and right into the woods, right into a creek! The ice there was thin, of course. I got a good soaking. 

Those were the best of times!

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

0z gfs is 100% no doubt the iciest 7 day model run I've ever seen. You have to root for that. All timer. I've always said I want a foot of ice. Well, maybe not realistic in 1 storm but... 

This, is definitely sig material.

Man, I love ice, but that line takes the cake for all time!

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

Hard to get excited about ice.  The epic pattern culminates with a string of rainy days that breaks tree limbs and looks shiny until it melts then you have nothing to show for it but broken tree limbs.  

True... but it's better then this snow pattern we were supposedly going into that has turned into a big lie... don't worry though... large cutter brings 50s to near 60 Day 9

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, yoda said:

True... but it's better then this snow pattern we were supposedly going into... don't worry though... large cutter brings 50s to near 60 Day 9

Not that long ago there were comments as to how we would be sick of tracking snow.  This turned into a giant ax in the forehead.  What can you do.  Just some epic bad luck. 

1 hour ago, yoda said:

True... but it's better then this snow pattern we were supposedly going into that has turned into a big lie... don't worry though... large cutter brings 50s to near 60 Day 9

60's sounds better then chasing some fantom 4-6" cold smoke that turns to 33 degree rain 12 hours before starting. I'd love to see some dry weather. I'd take 50's and dry over this epic mud pattern lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

0z gfs is 100% no doubt the iciest 7 day model run I've ever seen. You have to root for that. All timer. I've always said I want a foot of ice. Well, maybe not realistic in 1 storm but... 

A week ago, it looked like we were getting a severe ice storm this week.  So I’m not buying anything at this point. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, snowmagnet said:

A week ago, it looked like we were getting a severe ice storm this week.  So I’m not buying anything at this point. 

Anything marginal is rain in the DC area. The "ice threat" is code for more rain. Not that ice on trees is fun or anything. I'll take 50 and sunny over mud and broken trees.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

Anything marginal is rain in the DC area. The "ice threat" is code for more rain. Not that ice on trees is fun or anything. I'll take 50 and sunny over mud and broken trees.

Unfortunately it looks like for the most part the only non rain p-type we will be seeing this weekend into next week will be sleet/freezing rain. Not really interested in the ice either, with all the trees I have. Sleet is ok and I guess I am used to the idea now with all the sleet I got here last night lol.

• Like 2

After a big cutter later next week, the EPS/GFS reload the pattern with a nice west coast ridge and subsequent east coast trough, followed by a big snow threat - could be our best shot all year. Cold air with rapid intensification off the coast of Hatterus. Multiple models seeing the 24th-26th as a ripe period for a storm to bomb out along the coast.  

D21A2C58-7E48-427E-81A3-AD77F245C8EE.jpeg

0E6C7803-F1A9-48AD-99CF-D36E616886B9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Poor @dailylurker this winter has made you miserable. I’d probably laugh at every threat too with the winter you all are having down there. We’ve now comfortably surpassed  30” on the season up this way and both next Tuesday and beyond show serious potential, especially for inland areas. I’ll most certainly be interested 

• Thanks 1