• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

Thanks @MillvilleWx and @HighStakes:D I appreciate it a lot. A lot of it is due to excellent posters such as yourselves. I've  learned a lot in just the past year alone, and it feels like the field of knowledge in meteorology is virtually endless (which is a good thing, of course!)

Anywho, the EPS looks like it moved to what the OP was suggesting, but as I felt it would be, it's not as extreme, and looks similar to the GEFS in how the PV lobe is consolidated and also how it's located. Seems like that location strikes the perfect balance because that's an absolute firehose of precipitation trailing up with the overrunning. The PV is also right on it's heels, so anything that falls would stay around. In fact the mean trended colder for that period around 180hrs onwards, so probably some absolutely frigid members in there following the overrunning event. 

2 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Thanks @MillvilleWx and @HighStakes:D I appreciate it a lot. A lot of it is due to excellent posters such as yourselves. I've  learned a lot in just the past year alone, and it feels like the field of knowledge in meteorology is virtually endless (which is a good thing, of course!)

Anywho, the EPS looks like it moved to what the OP was suggesting, but as I felt it would be, it's not as extreme, and looks similar to the GEFS in how the PV lobe is consolidated and also how it's located. Seems like that location strikes the perfect balance because that's an absolute firehose of precipitation trailing up with the overrunning. The PV is also right on it's heels, so anything that falls would stay around. In fact the mean trended colder for that period around 180hrs onwards, so probably some absolutely frigid members in there following the overrunning event. 

Yes, good posting, Cobalt!

I'm all for more snow than ice, for sure.  So it's good to see the GEFS and EPS mean a little more on the colder/snowier side; keep us above that boundary.  A little ice in there isn't too bad, even very interesting, but I think everyone here would prefer to mostly to see accumulating snow of course.  And yeah, that frigid air hanging around would keep anything that falls on the ground there for awhile if true.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Eps increased the signal for midweek to late week . Nice hits in there . Mean is plenty cold overall . The signal looks more snowy then icy imo 

Eps basically says don't put the shovels away for at least the next 7-10 

239BEC80-B9C2-4520-AA57-06BCE6EFCE4C.png

4 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Yes, good posting, Cobalt!

I'm all for more snow than ice, for sure.  So it's good to see the GEFS and EPS mean a little more on the colder/snowier side; keep us above that boundary.  A little ice in there isn't too bad, even very interesting, but I think everyone here would prefer to mostly to see accumulating snow of course.  And yeah, that frigid air hanging around would keep anything that falls on the ground there for awhile if true.

At the very least it seems like we're going to get a decent feed of moisture coming through our area next week, snow, ice, or otherwise. Fun times ahead!

1613152800-pfPgbGvj7M8.thumb.png.79476600c112850f7f7b7bd4abe0235d.png

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

You're welcome. Keep up the good work. It's good to see you and some others taking advantage of a wealth of knowledge, wisdom and experience available on the board. Now we just need a few more to follow suit lol.

It's hard not to be pumped up at the possibilities. There's nothing like tracking multiple events and being locked into a favorable pattern. We go very long stretches without being able to do so. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

At the very least it seems like we're going to get a decent feed of moisture coming through our area next week, snow, ice, or otherwise. Fun times ahead!

1613152800-pfPgbGvj7M8.thumb.png.79476600c112850f7f7b7bd4abe0235d.png

Yeah, all models are showing a veritable firehose of precip through that time period!

ETA:  And several wave impulses propagating along that.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

3 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Eps has a better positioned TpV and its snow mean is probably the best we’ve at this range all year?

3D1229D4-D85F-4BFE-85F8-8990BD6A27D6.png

That's the mean, at that range?  Amazingly high...must be some big hits in there.

(Oh, and time to charge your phone, LOL!!  Yeah, had to go there once again, sorry!!)

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

Crippling. If temps are in the mid-20s and we get steady light rain, it would be crippling. God forbid it would be even a little windy to boot.

True ice storms are very rare. The Nashville one mentioned in 1994 was one such - that stretched all the way back along I-40 to Oklahoma if memory serves.  Anyone who cares at all about trees, power, and the like should not want to see a true ice storm. 

Pics from Nashville in 1994:

https://www.tennessean.com/picture-gallery/news/local/2015/02/16/nashville-then-ice-storm-of-1994/23505561/

Here's a report from Memphis from the great southern ice storm of 1994...

https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2019/02/11/breakdown-looking-back-ice-storm-feb/#:~:text=MEMPHIS%2C TN (WMC) -,history occurred%3A Ice Storm 94.&text=That swath of moisture brought,as rain early Wednesday morning.

Yep, not a good time. We had young children. We also had the only woodstove in the neighborhood. Luckily, we had a pretty big living room, because we had several families with very young children camped out in that room for a week. This was a stone's throw from downtown Nashville. 

If you've never been in a real ice storm, trust me: it's not like wishing for a nice big snow storm. You really don't want an inch of ice all over everything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ji said:

i like seeing the Blue southwest of us. Lance will be happy this week

Looking at the surface and mid levels I think SV is wrong it’s more of a mix down there. Sv snow map likes to count sleet as snow for some reason. Better mean up towards us when comparing to wxbell

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Looking at the surface and mid levels I think SV is wrong it’s more of a mix down there. Sv snow map likes to count sleet as snow for some reason. Better mean up towards us when comparing to wxbell

For future reference, Is it possible to save a map from SV to your photos on mobile?

5 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Gfs with a slow moving beast next week.  Trying  to maybe transfer looking at 162 in future frames. Regardless...this timeframe looks ripe as heck for cad and possible long duration .

all it did was transfer us a heartache

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I have been trying to keep this very thing in mind...lol

With the insane amount of freely available model data... it can be a lot easier said than done. I'm guilty just like everyone else. But you can keep it simple in the mid/long range by just acknowledging the existence of the potential day after day. Crunch time doesnt even start until inside of hr96 the way I look at it. Whenever I see potential I track the rug pull details only. Like losing mid level temps or track too far west etc. We always live on the edge here. It doesnt take much to stomp on our dreams. Focus on macro d4+ and fret on micro d3 on in. Much smoother hobby that way IME

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1