Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

This...the Arctic cold scenario greatly reduces our chances of a big snowstorm. 

Agree.  Though I have a feeling the Euro is probably overdoing the extreme of the cold air.  I'd much rather have the snow and some cold, it doesn't have to be Arctic-level here.  Temps in the 20s and a nice overrunning event with cold smoke powder would be great!  Much better than 5-10 and dry as a bone here while seeing snow/ice in GA/SC.

• Like 1

NAM led the way with the last storm - no reason to believe it isn’t doing the same here. Just a little weary of being 72+ hours out and it not quite being in the NAM’s wheelhouse yet. Encouraging trends today all around. Great to see models moving toward the NAM and not Vice versa. 

Hug the NAM and NAVGAP and pray!

3 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Keep coming baby

1 minute ago, jayyy said:

NAM led the way with the last storm - no reason to believe it isn’t doing the same here. Just a little weary of being 72+ hours out and it not quite being in the NAM’s wheelhouse yet. Encouraging trends today all around. 

Hug the NAM and NAVGAP and pray!

There is a separate thread for Sunday

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

Its rare for my location to see more than double the snowfall that IAD receives.  So I expect that difference to narrow as we go forward.

I feel pretty good with my measuring lol. I've measured 26" and that looks spot on with that map. :sled:

7 minutes ago, RIC_WX said:

I live a mile from JYO and feel confident in a seasonal total between 10"-11"

Correct approximately 4" first storm and around 6.5" with this one. Someone reported 8" around leesburg and someone in Round Hill reported over 10" color me skeptical 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

I feel pretty good with my measuring lol. I've measured 26" and that looks spot on with that map. :sled:

You probably average a bit more than here with your better latitude and elevation, but 26" is seasonal climo for my area.  That's a nice spot to be in with most of February and all of March still ahead of us.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2021 at 7:39 AM, frd said:

What in the world made accu weather jump the gun forecasting , even though two options were presented, that a huge snowstorm would hit the East Coast ? 

It never was even close .

Accu weather really sucks.  Blah Blah Blah. Both their options from several days ago are in play.  Huge...probably not.  Nice storm maybe.

Cutting up Accu Weather or the Nws...does not earn respect.  Cutting up Dt...maybe.

19 minutes ago, blue sky said:

Accu weather really sucks.  Blah Blah Blah. Both their options from several days ago are in play.  Huge...probably not.  Nice storm maybe.

Cutting up Accu Weather or the Nws...does not earn respect.  Cutting up Dt...maybe.

Too  bad, I disagree with you. 

Did I say AccuWeather sucks ? No , I did not.

So kindly don't make up s***.

7 hours ago, chris21 said:

I know this has been hashed and rehashed but the long term avg at DCA is not really representative of even downtown though. NW DC is prob closer to 20. For instance, in this past storm I measured 5.5 inches while DCA measured 3.2. In 2016, there was a uniform 23-26 inches in NW, while DCA recorded 16. 

This. I have no idea how the heck they measure. I did a video of that storm, had just a shade under 24" in SE.

Just now, WxUSAF said:

13-14 plus -NAO there. Got to keep that SE ridge/WAR or else it’s cold and dry. But verbatim that’s fun stuff.

Yeah there is some moisture available ahead of the Arctic press. I know some here live in fear of cold and dry but not me. I will take my chances. Love the idea of a moderate cold powder event followed by some Siberian cold. Been awhile. Chasing a KU in the MA in a Nina is pretty low probability, and it may still happen beyond this as things relax up top.

• Like 1

Just now, CAPE said:

Yeah there is some moisture available ahead of the Arctic press. I know some here live in fear of cold and dry but not me. I will take my chances. Love the idea of a moderate cold powder event followed by some Siberian cold. Been awhile. Chasing a KU in the MA in a Nina is pretty low probability, and it may still happen beyond this as things relax up top.

It would be nice to get a solid or better event that's cold powder, followed by some real cold to keep it around for awhile.  But what I wouldn't want is very cold with nothing but bare, frozen ground.  Not expecting a KU...but a nice overrunning type event falling into an Arctic push would be cool.

• Like 1

Just now, Always in Zugzwang said:

It would be nice to get a solid or better event that's cold powder, followed by some real cold to keep it around for awhile.  But what I wouldn't want is very cold with nothing but bare, frozen ground.  Not expecting a KU...but a nice overrunning type event falling into an Arctic push would be cool.

This is a possible outcome with the sort of h5 look being advertised. I would sign up for that.

• Like 1