• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

others can elaborate better, but most of the models i see have the jet streak right overhead, but the differences seem to be at 500.  gfs/para has a stronger vort lifting through the tn valley/southeast compared to ukmet/cmc.  either way, looks like an ideal low track (could be a little further nw), but rates would certainly help since it'll be a daytime system/borderline temps.

5 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Correct.  I'm going to reverse jinx it now

IMG_0490.GIF

These typical superstitions aren’t working, let’s throw them out the window.  They are working about as good as the euro is predicting snow this year.  Let’s create a storm thread now!  Let’s Rand Paul gif the sh!t out of this storm until we get 3-6” 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

If this amps at all it’s coming more nw. There’s nothing to stop it. No suppression mechanism

Won't the high pressure to the west (at least as depicted on the 12Z cmc) have something to say about that?  

eta:  Not being snarky at all.  Just asking the question so I can learn!

Screenshot 2021-02-04 at 11.48.33 AM.png

This setup reminds me of feb 2-3 2010.  I believe that was a marginal event that trended north, it was at night  too.  Nice refresher here from CWG and Ian.  Good reason to reminisce.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/01/30/looking-back-on-winter-2009-10-snowless-january-out-with-a-bang-just-the-beginning-of-an-epic-stretch/?_gl=1*1xgwv57*_ga*MjI0dHUtZmJoLVVUZFZway1zT3diaTExWktQM1JpTi13WHoxbzJNRHJESjdlYjdmWHhHTmZDUktuWFR1dlAzWA..

• Weenie 1

20 minutes ago, 87storms said:

others can elaborate better, but most of the models i see have the jet streak right overhead, but the differences seem to be at 500.  gfs/para has a stronger vort lifting through the tn valley/southeast compared to ukmet/cmc.  either way, looks like an ideal low track (could be a little further nw), but rates would certainly help since it'll be a daytime system/borderline temps.

Agree with everything you said except day time. This falls after 1am monday into the morning hours up to like noon. Starting before dawn will help keep the BL cool.

13 minutes ago, GATECH said:

This setup reminds me of feb 2-3 2010.  I believe that was a marginal event that trended north, it was at night  too.  Nice refresher here from CWG and Ian.  Good reason to reminisce.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/01/30/looking-back-on-winter-2009-10-snowless-january-out-with-a-bang-just-the-beginning-of-an-epic-stretch/?_gl=1*1xgwv57*_ga*MjI0dHUtZmJoLVVUZFZway1zT3diaTExWktQM1JpTi13WHoxbzJNRHJESjdlYjdmWHhHTmZDUktuWFR1dlAzWA..

That storm really sucked in the city -- Forecast was for like 5 inches of snow, and  think we were even under a WSW. But it really struggled to accumulate, even though the snow fell after dark. I think DC ended up with maybe 1 to 2 inches on the grass..  It was a pretty big bust, but no one cared because everyone was so distracted by the Blizzard that was on its way 2 days later. 

3 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Agree with everything you said except day time. This falls after 1am monday into the morning hours up to like noon. Starting before dawn will help keep the BL cool.

true.  i think you meant sunday, but same logic applies.  i was thinking more wrt the meat of the system.  also think the recent snowpack could help with temps right above the surface leading into it.

1 minute ago, real said:

That storm really sucked in the city -- Forecast was for like 5 inches of snow, and  think we were even under a WSW. But it really struggled to accumulate -- maybe 1 to 2 inches on the grass..  It was a pretty big bust, but no one cared because everyone was so distracted by the Blizzard that was on its way 2 days later. 

Ultimately, 6.4 inches of dry, powdery snow fell at National Airport. The high temperature only reached only 23 degrees before the sun rose, and the very cold temperatures helped snowfall measurements to be fairly uniform across the area.

??

Just now, wxdude64 said:

Ultimately, 6.4 inches of dry, powdery snow fell at National Airport. The high temperature only reached only 23 degrees before the sun rose, and the very cold temperatures helped snowfall measurements to be fairly uniform across the area.

??

That is in reference to 1/30 not 2/2 in the article. 

1 minute ago, wxdude64 said:

??

I think that was the Jan 31 storm not the Feb. 2/3 snow event. There were three  events in that same week. One Sunday -- cold smoke 6 inches of snow that kept trending north.  Then the warm bust midweek. And then the blizzard on Friday.

10 minutes ago, 87storms said:

true.  i think you meant sunday, but same logic applies.  i was thinking more wrt the meat of the system.  also think the recent snowpack could help with temps right above the surface leading into it.

Woops yeah Sunday. getting that precip to start before daytime warming would be important. This is more like a swf event. Surface is marginal but upper air is fine so if we find the right balance of precip/strength and timing will work out. You’d actually see more white rain if we got fringed. The heavier precip would help cool the BL

• Like 1

1 minute ago, real said:

That storm really sucked in the city -- Forecast was for like 5 inches of snow, and  think we were even under a WSW. But it really struggled to accumulate, even though the snow fell after dark. I think DC ended up with maybe 1 to 2 inches on the grass..  It was a pretty big bust, but no one cared because everyone was so distracted by the Blizzard that was on its way 2 days later. 

Yeah, I think the urban heat island did a number on it in DC.  it was an appetizer for the big dog, I got a solid 5in here near Mt. Vernon, 4 WSW verified storms in 2 weeks...what a year!

25 minutes ago, WesternFringe said:

Won't the high pressure to the west (at least as depicted on the 12Z cmc) have something to say about that?  

eta:  Not being snarky at all.  Just asking the question so I can learn!

Screenshot 2021-02-04 at 11.48.33 AM.png

I’m not the guy to learn from but in the upper levels there’s not a lot of confluence holding this back. I could easily see this really coming north. For that to happen I think it would have to amp up quite a bit and sharpen up the trough. Otherwise it’s just too fast and it comes and goes in the blink of an eye

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GATECH said:

That was great event out here. Around 6” started right before dusk. Beautiful snow.

• Like 1