• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

This upcoming pattern is the type in which models may not sniff out potential overrunning events until 3/4 days out. Lots of cold air to deal with, a nice block, and an active jet...  now we wait for it all to line up. I do think we can sneak a few 1-3 and 2-4 type events in there between bigger threats between now and late February. Patterns ripe for snow. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

I mean I don't hate it either, but most here do. I would much rather have it with a few inches of snow otg.

I always want the snow, don't get me wrong. Oh I know most hate it. I was just clarifying that not all hate it. The only winter weather I truly dislike is when there's no cold or wintry precipitation of any kind, like most of January of this winter. 

It'll be interesting to see if the Euro caves to the suppressed idea or if the GFS brings it closer for this Sunday. 

3 minutes ago, Steve25 said:

I always want the snow, don't get me wrong. Oh I know most hate it. I was just clarifying that not all hate it. The only winter weather I truly dislike is when there's no cold or wintry precipitation of any kind, like most of January of this winter. 

It'll be interesting to see if the Euro caves to the suppressed idea or if the GFS brings it closer for this Sunday. 

In between sounds good to me. I don't care for either solution verbatim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wentzadelphia said:

I’m telling you guys whatever happens over next 10 days is gravy. The pattern at the end of euro is HECS potential. We do well at the end of the pattern when it’s about to break down. There’s a split flow setup with lower heights all pressed east into 50/50 region. At this range timing and placement of features is crap, it’s the overall idea you look at. We’re way too far out to know the details but feb 10-17 should have a legit shot at another major event for EC. 

84A836C7-C048-4EBD-A7F0-6340E73699C4.jpeg

I am 100% on page with you on this overall progression. The Jan 2-4 1996 storm was an inland storm because the vortex was a bit further north than the Euro currently has it for this weekend storm. But regardless, you relax the block, allow the vortex to slip east into the 50/50 region, and you have another shot for something to roll under. I don't think the vortex moves out as quickly as 96' did. But the Feb 12-17 period certainly has potential. Beforehand, we can still cash in on some waves to roll under, most likely suppressed, with the vortex pushing into the US.

On January 30, 2010, the good people of EasternWx (RIP eastern) in the mid-atlantic forum, especially those in the richmond to DC to baltimore i-95 corridor, banded together and through sheer force of will yanked a storm that was modeled to stay suppressed and south to come just far enough north to give a 5 -9 inch cold powder plastering on Polar Bear Plunge Saturday morning.  It was an amazing event, and happened only because of the collective weenie efforts of heroes on a board much like this one. Their effort in bringing that one home after what had been a long and barren period since 12/19/09 with no snow since the december blizzard, a period which caused Ji to lose his mind infinite times, was rewarded with not just that awesome snow, but a small event a few days later and then the back to back February blitzes on the 5th and 10th. 

To those veterans of that effort, we need to rally now, and bring this one north on Sunday, to our area and to glory, and to set up a HECS a few days later. As it was in 2010, so shall it be in 2021.

The council has spoken. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 6
  • Weenie 10

3 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

On January 30, 2010, the good people of EasternWx (RIP eastern) in the mid-atlantic forum, especially those in the richmond to baltimore i-95 coordior, banded together and through sheer force of will yanked a coastal that was modeled to stay suppressed and south to come just far enough north to give a 5 -9 inch cold powder plastering on Polar Bear Plunge Saturday morning.  It was an amazing event, and happened only because of the collective weenie efforts of heroes on a board much like this one. Their effort in bringing that one home after what had been a long and barren period since 12/19/09 with no snow since the december blizzard, a period which caused Ji to lose his mind infinite times, was rewarded with not just that awesome snow, but a small event a few days later and then the back to back February blitzes on the 5th and 10th. 

To those veterans of that effort, we need to rally now, and bring this one north on Sunday, to our area and to glory, and to set up a HECS a few days later. As it was in 2010, so shall it be in 2021.

The council has spoken. 

Harrumph!!

• Like 1

Alright so from looking at the models and scrolling through here we should have a mix to rain storm on Thursday leading to an artic outbreak over us. After this there is potential for a storm on Sunday but only the Euro is on board. Then after that another shot of artic air consumes us. The pattern then after the iffy storm looks really good and the models have multiple storm chances with cold air. Then the general pattern for the next 1/2 month or more is very good for snowstorms. I this right or am I off?

7 hours ago, JakkelWx said:

@psuhoffman thoughts?

What is there to say.  The pattern looks GREAT.  Now we just have to wait for discreet threats to get into range and see how the details work out.  BTW two of the periods showing up in the CPC analogs are right before all hell broke lose in 1958 and 1960 so the potential is there for a memorable run.  Still need the specifics to go our way.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 2

Just now, SnowenOutThere said:

Alright so from looking at the models and scrolling through here we should have a mix to rain storm on Thursday leading to an artic outbreak over us. After this there is potential for a storm on Sunday but only the Euro is on board. Then after that another shot of artic air consumes us. The pattern then after the iffy storm looks really good and the models have multiple storm chances with cold air. Then the general pattern for the next 1/2 month or more is very good for snowstorms. I this right or am I off?

The overall pattern looks good. Decent cold shot arriving later this week. Beyond that models will fluctuate. Focus on H5 not the specifics. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

On January 30, 2010, the good people of EasternWx (RIP eastern) in the mid-atlantic forum, especially those in the richmond to DC to baltimore i-95 corridor, banded together and through sheer force of will yanked a coastal that was modeled to stay suppressed and south to come just far enough north to give a 5 -9 inch cold powder plastering on Polar Bear Plunge Saturday morning.  It was an amazing event, and happened only because of the collective weenie efforts of heroes on a board much like this one. Their effort in bringing that one home after what had been a long and barren period since 12/19/09 with no snow since the december blizzard, a period which caused Ji to lose his mind infinite times, was rewarded with not just that awesome snow, but a small event a few days later and then the back to back February blitzes on the 5th and 10th. 

The council has spoken. 

I do think it has been a lack of effort the last couple of years that has really hurt us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

On January 30, 2010, the good people of EasternWx (RIP eastern) in the mid-atlantic forum, especially those in the richmond to DC to baltimore i-95 corridor, banded together and through sheer force of will yanked a coastal that was modeled to stay suppressed and south to come just far enough north to give a 5 -9 inch cold powder plastering on Polar Bear Plunge Saturday morning.  It was an amazing event, and happened only because of the collective weenie efforts of heroes on a board much like this one. Their effort in bringing that one home after what had been a long and barren period since 12/19/09 with no snow since the december blizzard, a period which caused Ji to lose his mind infinite times, was rewarded with not just that awesome snow, but a small event a few days later and then the back to back February blitzes on the 5th and 10th. 

The council has spoken. 

Perfect.

In some ways, that was the most enjoyable event of that remarkable winter. 

• Like 3