Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

4 minutes ago, frd said:

Interesting, look out West as well.  

500hv.conus.png

Yeah that’s the Rex block under the -EPO. With a full finished retrograding block. Verbatim the euro has a wave down south there pressed under the NS tpv, but at this range not worried about details. Once that big ULL over lakes would move east if that split flow is modeled right and spacing is good. It’s game on. It’s exactly how blizzard of 96 formed.

does this map look familiar to anyone??

4-5 days before the blizzard of 96

93672EC7-63F0-4B27-AAD0-C51A0B535DE3.png

2678D8C1-E77D-4DFD-8E47-A8D79FAF7777.gif

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Ninja'd. But yeah. It would be some light snow through the area verbatim. Pretty wild progression with 2 lows sliding east that close together. 

You can definitely see when looking at the 0z suite from last night that the potential is there at 500mb and h5 for something to happen this weekend. However, the latest CMC shows you exactly how things could fall apart before they ever get started. Gonna be interesting to see how models handle this. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Yeah that’s the Rex block under the -EPO. With a full finished retrograding block. Verbatim the euro has a wave down south there pressed under the NS tpv, but at this range not worried about details. Once that big ULL over lakes would move east if that split flow is modeled right and spacing is good. It’s game on. It’s exactly how blizzard of 96 formed.

93672EC7-63F0-4B27-AAD0-C51A0B535DE3.png

2678D8C1-E77D-4DFD-8E47-A8D79FAF7777.gif

Yeah it was a big Ice storm in CT

8 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Did you see the almost 1060 High pressure system above Montana at 240 hours in the Euro HI - Res ? 

1 hour ago, TowsonWeather said:

1. Agree.

2. Caveat: if you start wringing your hands and angsting about suppression again I'm gonna cut you. 

Lol this isn’t the same setup. All about where the front sets up and how the streams interact. The flow to our northeast isn’t a factor as much. 

Suppression did have a hand in this last storm just not the way people think of it. The system to our west started to deamplify as it hit the compressed flow to the northeast.  That flow then relaxed but it took a tiny bit too long to amplify again.   We got stuck in the dead zone.   I think had the trough amplified straight to the coast the secondary would have captured off the VA capes v NJ. That’s all the difference to us. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, frd said:

Did you see the almost 1060 High pressure system above Montana at 240 hours in the Euro HI - Res ? 

Yes here is eps at same time showing that HP starting to build in. So basically what I’d hope would unfold here is you can see hints of a split flow on the west coast. As the ULL around the lakes head east into 50/50 region it gives room for the Hp to build behind it. Then you have cold airmass in place for whatever comes out west underneath the Rex block. I can’t explain it as well as psu or others but def keep an eye on this time frame. Until then there def a few waves we could score a modest event out of. 

B3C4DF16-C0ED-4B68-AB77-0C7F53C05F68.jpeg

55 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Got a feeling the Euro is gearing up for another storm around D10.  I'll head over to that thread if it does

I am not putting the kibosh on the Sunday storm, it’s tricky but could happen, but the period after that is a more classic way we score. There will be a pretty extended window after the block retrogrades again and the tpv shifts through the 50/50 to get something to amplify the trough. I would say like 4-5 days. That’s enough time for multiple SWs to have a shot at it.  Just need one to break off the tail of the trough and dig into the east to link up with the STJ. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I am not putting the kibosh on the Sunday storm, it’s tricky but could happen, but the period after that is a more classic way we score. There will be a pretty extended window after the block retrogrades again and the tpv shifts through the 50/50 to get something to amplify the trough. I would say like 4-5 days. That’s enough time for multiple SWs to have a shot at it.  Just need one to break off the tail of the trough and dig into the east to link up with the STJ. 

Bingo. 

• stormtracker changed the title to Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 7 and beyond)
  • stormtracker changed the title to February Short Term Threat Discussions (Day 3 - Day 7)
8 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Yes here is eps at same time showing that HP starting to build in. So basically what I’d hope would unfold here is you can see hints of a split flow on the west coast. As the ULL around the lakes head east into 50/50 region it gives room for the Hp to build behind it. Then you have cold airmass in place for whatever comes out west underneath the Rex block. I can’t explain it as well as psu or others but def keep an eye on this time frame. Until then there def a few waves we could score a modest event out of. 

I like 2/10 to 2/18 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, CAPE said:

No one wants cold and dry, but I would love the rare snowstorm followed by a shot of true Arctic air. Not like it would last long around here, but I love a few mornings around zero with snow cover. Its awesome.  Haven't had that since like 2014 or 15 maybe.

Not true. I love cold and dry. Love taking hikes and checking to see how frozen the little bodies of water around here are during/after an extended bitter cold stretch. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Sunday would be great but I personally don't think it'll happen.  I'm way more interested in the mid-month period for the reasons you state above.

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yep, I am more confident that sometime around the tenth of Feb that we get a more classic storm. Won't need much luck with this pattern:

image.png.cd07e5ebb570971b624cb49038aa1d43.png

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, Steve25 said:

Not true. I love cold and dry. Love taking hikes and checking to see how frozen the little bodies of water around here are during/after an extended bitter cold stretch. 

I mean I don't hate it either, but most here do. I would much rather have it with a few inches of snow otg.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Steve25 said:

Root for the cold for 2 reasons- to get snow and to keep the snow on the ground after it snows. Nothing better than a big storm followed by cold temps. 

• Like 3