Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I remember many many years ago seeing some correlation chart that showed temperature correlations by winter weeks for the major indices. And that I thought oddly the NAO didn’t correlate nearly as much as I expected...UNTIL late January or February then it was like the god of indicators. I’ll have to remind myself of that next time we’re warm during a -NAO early in the season. 

Ha that makes total sense. What good is blocking if there's no snowpack in Canada yet?

This pattern has the potential to produce multiple times. The end-week wave has some explosive potential (pending timing and phasing ofc), but there's plenty of room for a follow up as the big honking vortex starts to pull away too. That's some export-quality Arctic air to work with and generate WAA/upglide on with the Gulf still open.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Weenie 8

18 minutes ago, csnavywx said:

This pattern has the potential to produce multiple times. The end-week wave has some explosive potential (pending timing and phasing ofc), but there's plenty of room for a follow up as the big honking vortex starts to pull away too. That's some export-quality Arctic air to work with and generate WAA/upglide on with the Gulf still open.

That is a salivation inducing post around these parts...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

I remember many many years ago seeing some correlation chart that showed temperature correlations by winter weeks for the major indices. And that I thought oddly the NAO didn’t correlate nearly as much as I expected...UNTIL late January or February then it was like the god of indicators. I’ll have to remind myself of that next time we’re warm during a -NAO early in the season. 

We do backloaded way better almost always anyway. That's just climo, esp for the coastal plain. A -AO/NAO in Dec may produce, but if it persists, by late Jan into early March it is often money. I can be impatient, but realistic, and I know a pattern like this will usually pay off here.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, frd said:

That hook has been evident on stratobserve for over a week.  Incredible dive South of the Arctic jet. Also on a indices only perspective the time period screams severe winter weather potential in the East. 

eca3b9c30fed36000fc8994d218597d7.png

6e1e7290ebb92c510c432b4c058bb536.png

Found this on 33andrain. We all should be very happy by the time March comes around with these looks. Prime climo and we have a strong -AO/-NAO. Couldn't ask for better

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, frd said:

That hook has been evident on stratobserve for over a week.  Incredible dive South of the Arctic jet. Also on a indices only perspective the time period screams severe winter weather potential in the East. 

Not 100% sure what all the terminology means but it sounds good so sign me up B) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, csnavywx said:

:wub:

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2