Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

It was 11 yesterday lol. Honestly though that period between the 24-30 looks really good. I was never invested in the 22. Too many flaws. But if we start to see degradation to the look from the possibly 2/3 waves in the 24-30 time period then I will be more frustrated. That’s been my target and when the progression made sense for a while I’m sticking too it. 

I know...I was discouraged earlier but I'm away from the ledge.  I told everyone to hold on one more week.  We can do this.

• Like 1

Just now, stormtracker said:

I know...I was discouraged earlier but I'm away from the ledge.  I told everyone to hold on one more week.  We can do this.

Problem is we thought we signed up for a sprint and it turned out to be marathon.  But I did not run 26 miles just to lay down a couple hundred yards from the finish line.  

I was also questioning the negativity earlier. The pattern doesn't really change until we get high pressure dominating in Canada. That doesn't happen until the northern stream low moves through days 5-6. There's been nothing but low pressure up there since the pattern broke down after the mid-Dec storm. That's a direct result of the Pacific torch but all of the ensembles have been forecasting a complete reversal and hasn't been pushed back in time for several days. That's a direct result of the block and favorable changes in the Pacific as the flow blasting onshore weakens and reverses. That should give every wave a better track and cold air to work with.

Also, I was compiling some climo for MBY from my own records and nearby CoCoRAHS which should represent most of the near-beltway suburbs since 2005. Pretty much every year has featured a 3-6 week stretch without ANY accumulating (>T) snow in mid winter...usually from mid-Dec to mid-Jan, or early-late Jan, or didn't even get going until mid-January. So this isn't a new or unusual pattern. Maybe different if you go further back but it's typical the past 15 years, not just since 2016.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Problem is we thought we signed up for a sprint and it turned out to be marathon.  But I did not run 26 miles just to lay down a couple hundred yards from the finish line.  

Like you and I and some others have been saying, blocking patterns require some patience, and even then they don't always pay off. Well they normally do in a Nino, and often in a big way. Not as much in a Nina. 

We are at  the midpoint of Jan, and I believe the conventional wisdom was any snow up until now would have been gravy. Ok, so no gravy...

Someone else can continue with this metaphor.

5 minutes ago, CAPE said:

We are at  the midpoint of Jan, and I believe the conventional wisdom was any snow up until now would have been gravy. Ok, so no gravy...

You are going need a larger gravy ladle.  

Damn and some freshly ground black pepper. 

:grinch:

Like you and I and some others have been saying, blocking patterns require some patience, and even then they don't always pay off. Well they normally do in a Nino, and often in a big way. Not as much in a Nina. 

We just can’t get away from biscuits and gravy, can we?
  • Haha 1

We didn't even get our utensils

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, CAPE said:

True. But If we look at every legitimate NAO block (not just a transient bootleg ridge) during Nina’s of the past 30 years it should set the goalposts. And while I’m not expecting 2010 the fact is even in a Nina almost every blocking episode produced at least one good snowstorm. 

1996: high bar...nuff said

March 1999: several storms 

January 2000: 1 KU and 2 other storms 

Dec-March 2000/01: low bar but even that year it did snow but there is a reason that’s remembered as a disaster it was the worst underachiever ever!

Feb 2006: 1 MECS

Dec-Jan 2011: 1 MECS and a couple minor events

March 2018: 1 SECS and a couple minor events 

So it would be unheard of to get blanked even with our crap Nina climo and bad luck  

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

True. But If we look at every legitimate NAO block (not just a transient bootleg ridge) during Nina’s of the past 30 years it should set the goalposts. And while I’m not expecting 2010 the fact is even in a Nina almost every blocking episode produced at least one good snowstorm. 

1996: high bar...nuff said

March 1999: several storms 

January 2000: 1 KU and 2 other storms 

Dec-March 2000/01: low bar but even that year it did snow but there is a reason that’s remembered as a disaster it was the worst underachiever ever!

Feb 2006: 1 MECS

Dec-Jan 2011: 1 MECS and a couple minor events

March 2018: 1 SECS and a couple minor events 

So it would be unheard of to get blanked even with our crap Nina climo and bad luck  

You could have stopped at TRUE. :lol:

• Haha 1

Tasty 

Recent EPS runs have trended stronger with Greenland blocking in the 5-10 day range again - now a 3 sigma event. There are also hints that a northern stream disturbance will be forced underneath it Days 7-10. If correct, would open door to a Mid Atlantic/Northeast winter storm.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That wasn’t for you. Just so someone doesn’t think a Nina means blocking won’t work. Its obviously muted compared to a nino but that doesn’t mean we don’t usually snow. You know that. Just trying to stop a run of panic posts. 

I get it, but at some point the masses need to be able to read between the lines when something isn't stated in a perfectly explicit manner. Kinda tired of putting disclaimers/qualifiers on every post to prevent :cliff:

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

Thanks for the breakdown . I'm curious though of the March 2018. I'll have to look at my records but I'm thinking I got 14 inches here from that storm and more further north . I'd think MECS not SECS but maybe I got the wrong year .

I think that one was a general 6-10. I think I had 7 or so here.

4 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Tired of seeing your phone about to die.:P

You can email these images to yourself and post them here. Only takes like 30 seconds.

Ain’t nobody got time for that. Haha, there’s about the same odds of me plugging in my phone before bed as a 2 ft dc snowstorm. 

this was a solid GFS run. It looked more like the euro early on and focuses on that same wave coming out of the southwest that the EPS did