Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

4 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Seems like the faster the storm ejects out of the SW, the less of a chance there is for the SE ridge to pump up heights ahead of the storm? At least that's what it seems like given that solution compared to the GFS cutting. Hoping blocking can pull through, but as that Eric Webb tweet I posted earlier, that seems to be fleeting a bit

Yes.  We want that sw to get out of there faster and that block stronger.  Shit, I wish it was like it was depicted a few days ago on the Euro.  It would have been a Yeoman block of all time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, StormchaserChuck! said:

The last time we had -NAO in january was 2011

That February is a -AAM pattern, which would be weak at this point in La Nina because a warm push is coming in, and it's either to happen over enso or the Hemisphere. March-April will be warm. (temperatures)

@stormtracker please tell Chuck what to do. 

10 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

yes.  just need it a little further south by about 300 miles.  I'm trying to figure out what the block actually blocked on that run.  the primary made it into IL...the temps spiked to near 60 on hr 198.  the HP retreated and was weak sauce to begin with.  was that supposed to happen?

It snows some from a storm that has a primary get to Minnesota with no true cold in front. That’s impressive. But a block isn’t a magic cure all. It can only work with the airmass under it and the upstream flow has an effect. In this case both those other factors are wrong. There is a huge trough out west and no cold in the east so up pops a huge SE ridge.  Plus the block is just getting into prime position. This is why I after that wave would be better. Cold should bleed east more once there actually is cold in N America again and the block will grow in influence as it retrogrades. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

With a primary in mn...that’s a bit much to overcome but it tries. Hope for a slightly less extreme north track to the primary and secondary might be further south.  I still think even better threats come after that wave. But not dismissing it either. 

Every low for the past month has ended up south of where it was modeled at range. No reason to think this one won’t also

• Weenie 2

Just now, Ji said:

i mean it kind of falls into the progression that PSU has talked about. That its the next one after the next one

Definitely no shade at PSU, but it's always the next one on the Euro.  I'm dumping on the model, not PSU.  I think he's likely right with the period to watch.  But you know what happens with Euro 10 day threats.  You know it's not going to look like this tonight at 0z and then you'll be crushed.   

• Like 1

Just now, stormtracker said:

Definitely no shade at PSU, but it's always the next one on the Euro.  I'm dumping on the model, not PSU.  I think he's likely right with the period to watch.  But you know what happens with Euro 10 day threats.  You know it's not going to look like this tonight at 0z and then you'll be crushed.   

You two need to go to therapy together. I hope the proper avatar with a mask is ready for Monday. 

4 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Eps looks to favor more ns interaction and a stronger primary by 156 . Looking at h5

Big cluster of lps that take it through the great lakes, still a cluster of weaker waves that take the lp near our latitude though, but it's certainly not the favored camp. 

10 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Decent Signal day 10 and beyond on the EPS.

Maybe a hybrid system,  I could envision an evolution towards a lower latitude grouping of lows as we near the period 26  th to the 29  th.   

Would be nice to see stronger Highs up in Western Canada to funnel the colder air SE 

1611640800-xFCZUVL2Cq0.png

• Like 2