• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Upstate/Eastern New York

3 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

No matter the QPF these models spit out the “official “ forecasts are going to be for 3-6 inches and they will probably verify. 
Edit: I hope I’m wrong!

Or local Syr mets that forecast 2-5” for every event with 8” south and north west (Tug Hill) of the city.  Use the same snow maps over and over

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, tim123 said:

I agree 6 is probally the max for system snow. But I could see a 6 to 12 in on top of that south south east of  lake fri saturday.

I see only about a 12 hour window when vertical profiles will be supportive for lake effect; 7pm Thursday through about 7am Friday.  Factors working in our favor are super cold surface temps and almost a due northerly flow.  After that, low level moisture is pretty scarce and a strong subsidence inversion lowers our equilibrium levels to about 900mb, which doesnt allow much vertical growth at all.  Looks like a 1-2 inch kind of thing depending on where you are.  Fluff factor will be huge, so I guess you could inflate those numbers to 2-4 in the best case scenario.  Personally I'm not expecting more than some passing snow showers.  That high pressure is going to squash the shit out of anything that trys to form :wacko:.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

Well we can kiss the record low snowfall for KSYR goodbye, RLMAO, never really thought we'd come close but one can only imagine what 1931-32 was like for them to recieve 32" of snow for the season????

That is also the year that Rochester set there all time record low snowfall.  What a nightmare of a year.  It did happen right during the great depression...is it plausible that the horrible economic conditions somehow prevented accurate measurements from being taken that year?  Like the guy measuring was probably starving to death and was like "**** this, I'm not wasting time measuring snow, I gotta find some damn food"

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

In happier news, that next noteworthy storm (Feb 1st) continues to want to slide just south of our Area keeping us mostly snow or a mix at worst.  However, that follow up storm next week seems like its going to be the cutter to end all cutters.  The trough digging in way out West means serious business and will really amplify the Eastern Ridge.   I don't see a way out of that disaster. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

That is also the year that Rochester set there all time record low snowfall.  What a nightmare of a year.  It did happen right during the great depression...is it plausible that the horrible economic conditions somehow prevented accurate measurements from being taken that year?  Like the guy measuring was probably starving to death and was like "**** this, I'm not wasting time measuring snow, I gotta find some damn food"

Good catch Delta as I never really thought of the time period!

4 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

In happier news, that next noteworthy storm (Feb 1st) continues to want to slide just south of our Area keeping us mostly snow or a mix at worst.  However, that follow up storm next week seems like its going to be the cutter to end all cutters.  The trough digging in way out West means serious business and will really amplify the Eastern Ridge.   I don't see a way out of that disaster. 

Interesting. If the Feb 1 storm delivers - especially with the cold hanging onto the current pack plus tomorrow  - flooding may be a legit concern. 

31 minutes ago, SyracuseStorm said:

Or local Syr mets that forecast 2-5” for every event with 8” south and north west (Tug Hill) of the city.  Use the same snow maps over and over

What I hate is when they use their in house model to produce a snowfall map then despite what it puts out they give their standard forecast. You could have the model put 8 inches over your area then they will give a general forecast of 3-5 and just ignore the model. Why even use the model then?  Just draw a map showing what your forecast is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This is exactly why we need a -NAO in Mid-Winter because if there wasn't any blocking, this SLP would be headed for KDET and we'd be seeing mainly liquid so thank God for the -NAO, lol!

I was alive back then but really don't remember much about the weather as I was an infant, lol! This paragraph from CPC is interesting!

The NAO exhibits considerable interseasonal and interannual variability, and prolonged periods (several months) of both positive and negative phases of the pattern are common. The wintertime NAO also exhibits significant multi-decadal variability (Hurrell 1995, Chelliah and Bell 2005). For example, the negative phase of the NAO dominated the circulation from the mid-1950's through the 1978/79 winter. During this approximately 24-year interval, there were four prominent periods of at least three years each in which the negative phase was dominant and the positive phase was notably absent. In fact, during the entire period the positive phase was observed in the seasonal mean only three times, and it never appeared in two consecutive years.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Thats going to hurt but fact is we should have seen a lot more of those if it hadnt been for the blocking pattern of late.  

15 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

The CNYcentral (channels 3&5) forecast give some love to Dave, Tim and all of us in northern Onondaga County and southern Oswego County  A6D48BC8-5420-4112-8B07-134CDC18ABAD.jpeg.a6e8d61bf5ff451910906f31d4a3c434.jpeg

I like how their maps are skewed so that the area with highest population density is a thinner appearance and harder to read.  Must be the in-house model output. ;)

• Haha 1