• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

15 minutes ago, PerintonMan said:

A light dusting here in the SE Rochester burbs that has since melted.

LES does ____-all for me.

Enjoy it, those who are cashing in!

PerintonMan is not a great spot. Penfield is better. But anywhere near Rochester is gonna be lacking when it comes to LES. As you know. We survive off synoptic and enhancement. 
BTW. This has probably been the worst winter of my life. Almost 50 of them for comparison. 

• Like 1

Will see if kbuf is right lol

Tonight
Snow. Low around 29. West wind 8 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
M.L.King Day
Snow before 10am, then snow showers likely after 10am. High near 31. West wind 8 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
Monday Night
Snow showers likely before 11pm, then snow after 11pm. Low around 26. West wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

16 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:
Will see if kbuf is right lol

Tonight
Snow. Low around 29. West wind 8 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
M.L.King Day
Snow before 10am, then snow showers likely after 10am. High near 31. West wind 8 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
Monday Night
Snow showers likely before 11pm, then snow after 11pm. Low around 26. West wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

How far south of the city are you? 

58 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

After living in Lake effect zones for over a decade, I have come to realize that LES is over-rated. Much of the time, it's piddly little pennies (not nickel and dimes). HOWEVER, when you can get a COLD winter, LES rocks. Clipper patterns with cold are what make LES amazing. 

BUT, cold air has been severely lacking...so unless you live at a higher elevation, LES is almost more frustrating than enjoyable. Several consecutive years of this now. I forget where you moved from?

California, but before that Boston, Philly area, and Connecticut.

I knew ROC wasn't a prime LES area for this region, but I expected more than this -- at least a few 2-4" type events every couple of weeks on top of synoptic. Well, the synoptic has been a whiff (this comes and goes), but the LES has been a dusting every few days and that's it. And everyone cheering for W or WSW winds, well...that doesn't do anything here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PerintonMan said:

I knew ROC wasn't a prime LES area for this region, but I expected more than this -- at least a few 2-4" type events every couple of weeks on top of synoptic. Well, the synoptic has been a whiff (this comes and goes), but the LES has been a dusting every few days and that's it. And everyone cheering for W or WSW winds, well...that doesn't do anything here.

This is not a normal year.

• Like 1

Europe has been experiencing a pretty good winter, by their standards.  Alps have to be in prime condition with all the snow they've been getting and in the GFS forecast. Sadly, here we sit wanking in lockdowns. Maybe next winter I can get back there.  Skied and hiked in Garmisch many years ago.  

• Like 1

PerintonMan guy. I hear your frustration with everyone cheering W-SW wind flow. It can get annoying but that is the REAL LES. With a northwest-northeast wind, Rochester can get dinks and dabs. We really don’t get LES storms. Maybe once in blue moon we’ll pickup a foot. But that can happen in Buffalo in 3 hours. It’d take us 36. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, PerintonMan said:

Yeah, a good chunk of Upstate doesn't got much at all with these SW winds. What you described is more typical of a Great Lakes Winter...well, at least it used to be. Hopefully this awful stretch we've been in is temporary and we can get a good row of winters again...but there are some scientific things going on that make me wonder if we will actually go back to what it used to be like...or close to it.

29 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

PerintonMan guy. I hear your frustration with everyone cheering W-SW wind flow. It can get annoying but that is the REAL LES. With a northwest-northeast wind, Rochester can get dinks and dabs. We really don’t get LES storms. Maybe once in blue moon we’ll pickup a foot. But that can happen in Buffalo in 3 hours. It’d take us 36. 

You guys can do great on Lake Enhanced events. As I've said before, I LOVE lake enhanced events. Reason being...is that snowfall is usually continuous and steady. You've got that synoptic and lake moisture just working together. It's also more enjoyable to me because it's not the showery lake effect snow that goes off and on and moves back and forth.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge the folks in Buffalo or east of Ontario obsessing over 5 degrees of wind direction. I know this is their "Super Bowl". I enjoy hearing about 24" in 12 hour dumps -- or, hell, Binghamton's 40" a few weeks ago when up here we only got a few (not LES, I know, but just to show I'm not a total curmudgeon :) )

But it just highlights how absolutely little is going on otherwise.

Fortunately, looking at the history, it seems like it's hard to get completely skunked around here in January-February.

• Thanks 1

I will say this to credit this area in extreme NW Onondaga county...we seem to do much better at retaining a snow cover than the interior Syracuse suburbs and the city itself. When I check out webcams, we will often have snow remaining during mildish days like this, while there they don't. Today is a good example.

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO
7 AM EST TUESDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy lake effect snow expected. Total snow accumulations
  of 8 to 16 inches in the most persistent lake snows. The
  greatest snow accumulations in Chautauqua and Cattaraugus
  counties will occur north of a line from Mayville to Cattaraugus
  to Machias.

* WHERE...Wyoming, Chautauqua, Cattaraugus, and Southern Erie
  counties.

* WHEN...From 7 PM this evening to 7 AM EST Tuesday.
  • Like 1