• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

The wife and I have gone back and forth on that one. With the high property taxes in New York...especially around CNY, it comes out to about the same. So, we will be patient and wait another year or two. We'd rather save up the money and make a larger down payment than have a large mortgage with interest, plus taxes, plus utilities, etc...

I wish more people were like you. That's exactly what my wife and I did. We actually we're the only ones in our circle of friends who "did it right" and lived in a crappy apartment with crazy next door neighbors. I busted my ass with O.T. and 1AM call in times. We saved and saved for good down payment plus all closing costs, while our friends all bought houses before they were even married or in my opinion financially ready as they had little to put down and had to add in all their closing costs on top of the price of the home. Oh wells, to each their own.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I pay $4300 a year in total taxes for my place.

I’m in Williamsville. The e purchased the house for $239k in ‘16. Since then it’s now valued at around $295. I’m paying a total of $7300 between county and school. When I was a loan officer a couple years back the housing boom was just taking off. I would have clients who lost 5 to 10 bids and stated they went up against 10 to 15 other bids per home. The agents are the ones to blame for this. They price the houses with the intent of getting into a bidding war which helps the seller and the agent but many people who are at the top of their budget can’t bid any higher and are then frantically looking for a home still. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Geez150 said:

I wish more people were like you. That's exactly what my wife and I did. We actually we're the only ones in our circle of friends who "did it right" and lived in a crappy apartment with crazy next door neighbors. I busted my ass with O.T. and 1AM call in times. We saved and saved for good down payment plus all closing costs, while our friends all bought houses before they were even married or in my opinion financially ready as they had little to put down and had to add in all their closing costs on top of the price of the home. Oh wells, to each their own.

Thanks for those kind words. We started saving immediately and started solid retirement funds. We have no debt whatsoever. If we can get a house with straight cash and not be in debt to banks or companies, the better. 

Truly blessed.

@Geez150 thanks for sharing your journey and the hard work you did!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

With these rates, get the biggest loan the bank will give ya. In a few years, with inflation and raises,  your mortgage won’t seem like much at all. 
Flies in the face of any sound advice you’ll receive but I truly believe it.

No joke. My house is in the 350K range and I pay less than 1150/month on the mortgage. I'll still be paying 1150/month in 20 years when my salary should be >50% higher.

Of course, taxes are almost 11K/year, but the mortgage itself is ridiculously affordable.

• Like 2

Those are some great points, guys. Personally, I have been struggling a bit with working in a career that I love or whether to start looking for something that isn't so stressful but pays much better. My wife and I do not have a goal to gain wealth, as that is not a priority of ours. We have challenged ourselves to live within our means while trying to make sure we can financially support organizations and future generations. She's amazing at it. I am a bit more prone to wanting some 'play money". The wife grew up in poverty though, so she has a deeper understanding of being careful with money. Sorry if that's a bit too deep...just wanted to share a less common perspective.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Those are some great points, guys. Personally, I have been struggling a bit with working in a career that I love or whether to start looking for something that isn't so stressful but pays much better. My wife and I do not have a goal to gain wealth, as that is not a priority of ours. We have challenged ourselves to live within our means while trying to make sure we can financially support organizations and future generations. She's amazing at it. I am a bit more prone to wanting some 'play money". The wife grew up in poverty though, so she has a deeper understanding of being careful with money. Sorry if that's a bit too deep...just wanted to share a less common perspective.

Spend it all before you die, especially if you don't have kids. I bought a relatively cheap house so that I can go on 2-3 international trips a year for the next 30 years. Always be conservative to a point, but you have one life to live and its a lot harder to live it when you're older or get health issues out of no where like my mom. A sickness like she got will eat everything you've saved and more. It's tough to plan for stuff like that.

• Like 2