• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

5 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Whoa...I know houses here in the Baldwinsville area/Suburbs of Syracuse are pretty ridiculous too. You have to be willing to go above asking price to compete with anybody. Hence, my wife and I shall be in an apartment another year... :( 

Yeah man- it is a joke and the taxes are outrageous!  Another year in an apartment not paying BVille taxes is worth it.  Bank it!

• Like 1

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

It's because interest rates are so low. If interest rates were higher we would not be seeing this. It makes the monthly payment much lower and more affordable thus increasing the prices of the homes as renting is now more expensive then buying is.

The wife and I have gone back and forth on that one. With the high property taxes in New York...especially around CNY, it comes out to about the same. So, we will be patient and wait another year or two. We'd rather save up the money and make a larger down payment than have a large mortgage with interest, plus taxes, plus utilities, etc...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SyracuseStorm said:

Yeah man- it is a joke and the taxes are outrageous!  Another year in an apartment not paying BVille taxes is worth it.  Bank it!

Exactly! I just wrote a response to Buffalowx above. I've been patiently waiting on something to open up that's less expensive and more rural in southern Oswego County (Granby area/nicer parts of Fulton//Hannibal).

1 minute ago, TugHillMatt said:

The wife and I have gone back and forth on that one. With the high property taxes in New York...especially around CNY, it comes out to about the same. So, we will be patient and wait another year or two. We'd rather save up the money and make a larger down payment than have a large mortgage with interest, plus taxes, plus utilities, etc...

Yeah, but with home ownership the value of the home goes up. If renting/buying are equal in price then I'd favor in the buying side. I have 50k in equity on my home and I just bought last year. But if you factor in upkeep/maintenance its tough. I enjoyed renting as I didn't have to worry about snowblowing/mowing lawn/etc...Did it for 9 years. Allowed us to travel all over with no restrictions.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah, but with home ownership the value of the home goes up. If renting/buying are equal in price then I'd favor in the buying side. I have 50k in equity on my home and I just bought last year. But if you factor in upkeep/maintenance its tough. I enjoyed renting as I didn't have to worry about snowblowing/mowing lawn/etc...Did it for 9 years. Allowed us to travel all over with no restrictions.

Yeah..it's tricky. We have a beautiful apartment here that we really like. It's a little bit higher in price, but we are blessed to have good neighbors and the location is great. The taxes here are just ridiculous...it would be 500 to 800 a month just in taxes...add several hundred for utilities...and then extras/maintenance...etc...apartment was a good choice for the time being. We're just a bit bummed because we moved in on March 1st last year and then Covid hit...so we haven't had many opportunities to share our place with family and friends.

3 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Exactly! I just wrote a response to Buffalowx above. I've been patiently waiting on something to open up that's less expensive and more rural in southern Oswego County (Granby area/nicer parts of Fulton//Hannibal).

There are some nice little areas in Phoenix, which is a mile down the road from BVille 

• Like 1

My niece is a real estate agent in this area and she’s been selling houses like crazy over the last year. Most of the houses in my development used to be in the $200-250K range but in the last year 2 houses sold for around $300k so I’m not sure of my house’s value. Tell me about property taxes around here. I just paid my county/town taxes for $3200 and I’ll have a similar school tax bill in September. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CNY_WX said:

My niece is a real estate agent in this area and she’s been selling houses like crazy over the last year. Most of the houses in my development used to be in the $200-250K range but in the last year 2 houses sold for around $300k so I’m not sure of my house’s value. Tell me about property taxes around here. I just paid my county/town taxes for $3200 and I’ll have a similar school tax bill in September. 

I pay $4300 a year in total taxes for my place.

2 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

I pay $4300 a year in total taxes for my place.

Yeah. Central New York taxes are crazy. They're even higher in Oswego County than in the Syracuse area!! (BUT, homes are more affordable in Oswego county)...and of course, MORE SNOW! lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

A person I work with put an offer in for this house on Feddick

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8030-Feddick-Rd-Hamburg-NY-14075/30273520_zpid/

I went in at 235k on this one and got outbid. We lost another one on Boston State Road last week right in the center of Boston. Going to look at another one this weekend now on Rice Road in Boston. 

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5677-Feddick-Rd-Boston-NY-14025/133004300_zpid/?utm_campaign=iosappmessage&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=txtshare

We’re looking to upgrade soon if possible.  Just time to get out of the city.  Even prices here are through the roof.  I bought my house for 90k in 2010 and could probably get 170k for it now.  Downfalls would be the taxes out in the burbs.  Go from paying $100 a month to $400-$500 in just taxes is a big jump added onto a higher base mortgage payment with the upgrade.  Housing market was always a value in WNY but I think it might be a bit over inflated right now. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

It's because interest rates are so low. If interest rates were higher we would not be seeing this. It makes the monthly payment much lower and more affordable thus increasing the prices of the homes as renting is now more expensive then buying is.

Truth. We bought in 2019 and then refinanced just over a year later.