Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
If you could live anywhere in New England

TalcottWx

22 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

I actually do like Worcester.  Not too far from many places in New England, and good snow most of the time.  

I like visiting Worcester... tons of awesome restaraunts.  A good art museum   Polar Park opening as soon as the pandemic is over... etc

But I would not want to live there

13 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Caribou 

Oswego 

Worcester 

Lake George with all its surroundings, water sports, skiing, hiking, snowmobile trails for hundreds of miles into the Adirondacks along with lots of restaurants, indoor Waterpark and amusement park is boring? Then you put down Caribou and Oswego as your places? You are an EDP. I lived in Queensbury (Lake George) for 6 years and grew up in Brooklyn and Staten Island... The city was a much more boring place to grow up on a day to day basis then what my kids had to do up in Lake George

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff Grann said:

Lake George with all its surroundings, water sports, skiing, hiking, snowmobile trails for hundreds of miles into the Adirondacks along with lots of restaurants, indoor Waterpark and amusement park is boring? Then you put down Caribou and Oswego as your places? You are an EDP. I lived in Queensbury (Lake George) for 6 years and grew up in Brooklyn and Staten Island... The city was a much more boring place to grow up on a day to day basis then what my kids had to do up in Lake George

I have been to Lake George and its beautiful.  I want to move to a place with alot of snow. 

I like the lakes region of NH.  Maybe even BTV since it's so sunny and they avoid mank. Good snow in the lakes region, but still as warm as anywhere in SNE during the summer.  For me it's the most "seasons in seasons" place.  Places like Pittsburg or Caribou the spring drags on too long. From the winni area you can shoot up to the mountains real quick and then during the summer....well you have the lake. I'd love the Cape in the summer if there was about a quarter the people. 

Just now, MJO812 said:

I have been to Lake George and its beautiful.  I want to move to a place with alot of snow. 

You said it was boring there. The Northern end of Lake George gets around 100" a year. My beef is it being boring there. There is a ton of stuff in a short drive from there including civilization with lots of shopping and good restaurants 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Jeff Grann said:

Unfortunately, Aroostook is bleeding population in a serious way.  Great snowmobiling (N. Maine may be as good as anywhere in the lower 48) but fewer other winter rec opps - decent X-C (or biathlon, if that's your thing), a small alpine ski area.  Good fishing during the warm seasons but nearly all the lakes are closed to ice fishing.  Sort of "Midwestern" type scenery with all the fields - St. John Valley is more scenic but even farther from amenities.

8 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Unfortunately, Aroostook is bleeding population in a serious way.  Great snowmobiling (N. Maine may be as good as anywhere in the lower 48) but fewer other winter rec opps - decent X-C (or biathlon, if that's your thing), a small alpine ski area.  Good fishing during the warm seasons but nearly all the lakes are closed to ice fishing.  Sort of "Midwestern" type scenery with all the fields - St. John Valley is more scenic but even farther from amenities.

Why are lakes closed to ice fishing?

27 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Why are lakes closed to ice fishing?

Mainly to protect native brook trout, and "many" would've been more accurate than "nearly all".  Lakes in which landlocked salmon and/or togue are the more important species are often open, like the Fish River chain of lakes.  Most smaller waterbodies in N. Maine are closed in winter and a lot of the larger lakes open.

9 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The western hills of ORH.

Yep. Just west and north of the city. I really like the idea of 1k+ but close to civilization in SNE. That area seems far enough east to cash in on some later developing Miller B's. Paxton, Leciester, Holden area seem nice and also close to ORH and the Pike.  

6 hours ago, CT Valley Snowman said:

Yep. Just west and north of the city. I really like the idea of 1k+ but close to civilization in SNE. That area seems far enough east to cash in on some later developing Miller B's. Paxton, Leciester, Holden area seem nice and also close to ORH and the Pike.  

Yea. It’s interior and coastal at the same time. There isn’t a snowstorm it misses too often. 

Unfortunately (kind of) I got a new job so I won’t have the option to relocate to my current employer’s sister company in Framingham next year. That was on the table before so I was previously chomping at the idea of living somewhere in interior EMA. I think I’m ‘stuck’ in SWCT fo life now.  

On 1/11/2021 at 7:59 AM, DotRat_Wx said:

My biggest fight right now is figuring out where to live with my fiance. She loves the south shore and the cape. She's from CT so she likes that too. 

I would prefer to live somewhere north and/or west of the city. Between 495 and 128. Or perhaps in the 101 belt of Southern New Hampshire, like Exeter or Stratham. 

If you do the south shore, do that area from Weymouth to Norwell....really underrated area, as its quite the OES snowbelt.

If you are coming out my way, get near I 495.....No closer to the ocean than W Billerica, N Tewksbury.....if you had to do the N shore, do Peabody, Salem or Danvers.

18 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

I actually do like Worcester.  Not too far from many places in New England, and good snow most of the time.  

Agree.

I would give anything to somehow erect like 1000' hill in my area.....the terrain enhancement on that moist NE flow during storms would be awesome. I would know its more with an entire range, but it would be nice with the CF included and what not.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

If you do the south shore, do that area from Weymouth to Norwell....really underrated area, as its quite the OES snowbelt.

If you are coming out my way, get near I 495.....No closer to the ocean than W Billerica, N Tewksbury.....if you had to do the N shore, do Peabody, Salem or Danvers.

I grew up in Concord.. Would not recommend living there if you have a jackpot fetish.

The whole Concord, Carlisle, Acton, Bedford, Sudbury, Lincoln area is good in the sense that it's rarely on the "wrong" side of a mix line during a coastal storm... But I can't remember many/any storms from growing up where we got the most snow.

11 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

I grew up in Concord.. Would not recommend living there if you have a jackpot fetish.

The whole Concord, Carlisle, Acton, Bedford, Sudbury, Lincoln area is good in the sense that it's rarely on the "wrong" side of a mix line during a coastal storm... But I can't remember many/any storms from growing up where we got the most snow.

I agree with you on that....same for Wilmington and Methuen. Its a decent spot to live if you want to do generally decently and avoid getting skunked often, but prime forcing can be pretty elusive. Very low elevation, and the CF is usually significantly east, which can lead to subsidence between low level forcing to the east, and mid levels to the west (see 12/17). It is often nearby in Wilmington, but the residence time is not what it is along the n shore. You need to really luck out with the mid levels to jackpot, or have a hugger that pins the cf a bit inland for a while. The area is also just far enough north to miss the best lift with the juggernauts, like Feb 78.

• Like 1

I still like the area I picked 20 years ago.  Bridgewater NH.  Population 1000.  Low taxes, no crime, on the shores of NH 5th largest lake but elevation on hills and mountains to over 2500 feet,  just 30 minutes north the Whites.  10 miles to Rt 93 to get to Boston.  85" of snow but just on the downside of the Whites so I get more sun.  Great snow retention with CAD.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It can be hit or miss here. Honestly if he could, up in far NE Essex country is sneaky good for snow and severe. I personally think Newburyport is an awesome town. It is pricey, but it has a cool vibe and for being near the water...their latitude does help keep any CF very close to the beaches or even just offshore. I think my wife and I would have lived there if it wasn't for our roots closer to the S Shore. 

I'd prob pick somewhere near Kezar Lake in Maine (between Bridgton and Bethel)...pretty close to skiing (less than 30 min to Sunday River/Shawnee and maybe 45 to wildcat) but also close to civilization and really nice in the summer too.

I also love Rangeley area but damn it's far up there and I think you lose a couple weeks of summer compared to further south. Rangeley is more of a place I think I'd have a vacation home vs trying to live there year-round.

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It can be hit or miss here. Honestly if he could, up in far NE Essex country is sneaky good for snow and severe. I personally think Newburyport is an awesome town. It is pricey, but it has a cool vibe and for being near the water...their latitude does help keep any CF very close to the beaches or even just offshore. I think my wife and I would have lived there if it wasn't for our roots closer to the S Shore. 

Yea, just up the road from me. We have spoken about that area before. I dated a girl from Amesbury 10 years ago....nice town.