• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Storm Term Threat Discussions (Day 3 - Day 7)

WxUSAF

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Funny thing is it did at 6/12z and everyone kinda figured the fight was over but then it reverted at 18z and now has a buddy in the Icon. 

well every run the GFS does not cave puts alot more pressure on the euro. What happened to the euro? Every model used to cave to it:(

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Pretty stark differences between the euro and gfs.

968B4BA7-4188-401F-8CDA-1A4973C0DB5D.png

60145B47-914D-4E4F-A7AB-67E5C8DB5A1D.png

See that feature in Quebec on the euro. That was the piece of the tpv that came across in front and squashed the northern wave. On the gfs that instead phases with the northern wave. After that it’s a done deal both ways. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ji said:

well every run the GFS does not cave puts alot more pressure on the euro. What happened to the euro? Every model used to cave to it:(

You aren’t going to like this but I’m not sure the gfs is going to cave. I still won’t bet against the euro when it’s rock steady over several days like this...and has the cmc on its side. But something keeps nagging me in the back of my mind. The way the gfs handles that western TPV is simpler. Less convoluted. Simply merges it with the strong NS wave diving into it. The euro on the other hand does this weird elongation and split to avoid that and instead through that odd progression ends up suppressing and squashing the NS SW. But 2 things bug me.  1 we are in a northern stream dominant regime. 2 the gfs progression is simpler and simple usually wins v convoluted.  So yea the better guidance is on our side. But Nina climo, recent trends, and history of simple v convoluted setups are on the other side. 

5 minutes ago, Ji said:

GGEM is actually colder than 12z

Big if here...but if the euro cmc have the right idea with not phasing the tpv out west and crushing the NS front runner...then suppression is by far the bigger threat for places north of DC from the southern wave. That block is legit. The NS wave only cuts because it phases with a piece of that tpv. If it misses that boat it’s getting crushed and that southern wave will struggle to gain much latitude in this flow.  

1 minute ago, Ji said:

psu wont like the canadien

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_25.png

It’s 150 out. That’s fine. You know details will shift slightly even inside 48 hours let alone 150. But again shame in this setup look at that rather pathetic scope of snowfall. It makes it harder to get a hit when the margin of error is so small. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I’m sure PSU will soon explain why it was a slight move towards the GFS and burst our bubble lol

Lol I haven’t even started to analyze it. While Ji moves from precip plot to precip plot looking for blue I’m OCD analyzing all the different levels and details to see why exactly the run did what it did. Haven’t even got to the cmc yet. 

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Lol I haven’t even started to analyze it. While Ji moves from precip plot to precip plot looking for blue I’m OCD analyzing all the different levels and details to see why exactly the run did what it did. Haven’t even got to the cmc yet. 

One thing I noticed on the CMC was the dark blue must be rate driven because it’s above 546dm over DC. Barely cold enough. No margin for error.  Don’t want to be relying on that.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I’m sure PSU will soon explain why it was a slight move towards the GFS and burst our bubble lol

32 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Ggem very euro like.

14 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

The CMC is like a dog with a bone.  It's been remarkable consistent...or in the ballpark of consistent.   Meanwhile, the GFS......shut up

The cmc/euro and gfs are night and day how they handle the interaction between the western trough and the tpv between 100-120 hours. 

I wanted to show it clearer but the h5 plots for Canada weren’t updated yet for the cmc but you can see it here...by 120 it’s a done deal cmc/euro v gfs/Icon progression. 

cmc at 120

8xX0h7k.jpg
the tpv elongated on top of the western trough and did not phase. It’s instead suppressing the northern stream wave (NSW) lol. 

gfs same time 

o5F3uzK.jpg
the tpv had phased with the NS wave and look at that ridging east of it. It’s game over already at that point 

the divergence after is the result of that singular difference which actually happens around 100 hours up in Canada but those maps weren’t out yet. 

by 144 you can see the end result

OoVeifZ.jpg
cmc the tpv elongated and broke a piece off that came across on top and crushed the NS wave. The SSW was left to amplify and you see the ridging in front to combat the shred factory on top from the blocking. 

gfs at 144

gj1T9pL.jpg
the phased NS system came across on top end wrecked our temps but also the flow under that is squashing the SSW. No chance in that progression. 

cmc and euro are both handling that the same way. Just trying to point out the why behind it. Hope someone finds this interesting. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ji said:

Psu what happened to your 3rd storm?

Simply guidance tonight trended towards a much weaker wave ejecting out west. The ridge out west was actually better on the gfs. No real change in the longwave pattern. The setup is still there. But what had been a very healthy wave being ejected from the western trough suddenly went poof tonight.  ETA: there are a handful of members in the gefs that still have it. Let’s see what the eps does before declaring it dead. 

• mappy changed the title to January Storm Term Threat Discussions (Day 1 - Day 7)
  • stormtracker locked this topic
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic