• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Storm Term Threat Discussions (Day 3 - Day 7)

WxUSAF

9 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

There has definitely been a seasonal trend of primary lows hanging on longer than we want before coastal transfer.  Doesn't mean it's going to happen this time though. I'd personally still be quite happy with 5-6", drizzle and dry slot, then 24hours of snowshowers for another 1-2".  But I guess YMMV.  

I agree. Still seems an unlikely outcome as depicted. Maybe it ends up just a thump/drizzle/dryslot, which I am fine with, but it is hinting at something more with that odd, delayed back end. Maybe that part just goes away.

from the precip plots that update to 120 hrs the CMC is a pretty good WAA thump for DC and points southeast...then the coastal takes over south of GFS but doesn't really get going like the euro...its weak and diffuse...95 west stays sleet with the somewhat weak CCB precip, a line from Ji to me west stays snow...its hard to tell what the results are until qpf because the western areas obviously get all snow and better ratios but the heaviest precip with the WAA wave is further southeast.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

I want a HECS more than anyone, but that's a region wide 6-8 inches for a "disaster run" of a model we already know isn't very good and was awful leading up to tomorrow's storm. If that's the floor for this storm, I'm feeling pretty great.

Let's face it, is a Miller B in a La Nina really our best chance of cashing out on a flush hit HECS? My assumption would be no, but others still have the biblical Euro amounts cemented into their heads. Although the EPS is definitely more bullish than the GFS/GEFS has been as of so far, so the fact that our ground floor it seems is still 3"+, Im not sure we have a right to complain. 

7 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

There has definitely been a seasonal trend of primary lows hanging on longer than we want before coastal transfer.  Doesn't mean it's going to happen this time though. I'd personally still be quite happy with 5-6", drizzle and dry slot, then 24hours of snowshowers for another 1-2".  But I guess YMMV.  

Sounds good to me. That would be a pretty solid storm. ULL can be a wild card after the thump. Could be some mini Jackpots.

12 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

gfs-deterministic-ma-snow_96hr_inch-2310400.thumb.png.e63bb0739bd39b7e9c3eddabd03c2d4e.png

Im struggling to find the disaster.. Kuchera is even higher. Wasn't the GFS still showing a flush hit for Thursday this far out?? The ground floor of basically all guidance has been 3-6"..

I guess it depends on where you are.  GFS actually shows more snow north of DC than the Euro.  I guess GFS is a disaster for areas to the south that got a foot on the Euro.  DC Beltway areas do about the same (4-6) on both models, although more upside potential with the Euro.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

Para quite similar to old GFS in sensible outcome.  6-9" when all said and done.  Thump, dry slot, back to snow showers with the ULL.  

Do you find it odd that even with an incredibly far north primary and transfer...the other guidance still tries to put down some wrap around precip with the ULL in our area.  What's odd about that imo is it kind of suggests the upper level track supports the euro idea of a further south secondary.  The other guidance looks as if it runs the lead wave out ahead of the upper support and never recovers.  Not saying that can't happen...we do love a good fail around here.  

• Like 3

Hardly a win on the 12z GFS. The snowfall totals are strung out over an 18 hour period and with warmer air working in off the Atlantic. Ratios likely not 10:1, so 3-6” area wide is questionable. 

500 energy is open as it comes across, phases too late and the Midwest low as mentioned is further north of where we’d like it. A lot of moving parts, still time for things to come together, but by Thursday I expect the overall pattern to be locked in with all guidance minus the smaller details.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, LP08 said:

IF you want to feel better, Toggle back to previous runs of the gfs to 144 for Thursday.  It had consistent runs (6 in row) of a shellacking for the area, then all of a sudden, boom south at about 90-96 hrs.  I liked early on the run the slower ejection at H5 (@ravensrule) and better heights over the NE.  Maybe ill die on this hill and be completely out to lunch, but we've seen it all winter.

I've been following this aspect and have compared based on range. At this time (around 0z Sunday so 114 hours from Thursday onset), was when we had a pretty amped and great look on both the GFS and GEFS, and everything else was not as enthusiastic. Then in the following 24 hours the GFS caved. I'm not sure which met said that the GFS likes to make errors and then take 30 hours to correct, but let's hope this is one of those scenarios. Certainly something to watch. 

• Like 1