• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Storm Term Threat Discussions (Day 3 - Day 7)

WxUSAF

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

Been on my mind as well.  A bad handoff would wreck dreams of many snow weenies.  Thats why B's make me nervous.  GFS and CMC had some sloppy handoffs showing, so hoping todays runs clean up a bit.     

Very true but honestly at this point I just want to see the solid WAA thump of 3-6", anything more than that is on the gravy train. I just need a solid snow on the board for the year.  All the modeling seems to point to a decent WAA thump. Hard to see that completely failing right now

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ryanconway63 said:

How reliable of a model is the NAVGEM   its Very Bullish on the Big Storm/Slow Crawl Idea, looks like it would destroy Richmond to NY even though it only goes out to 144

Tarot cards come to mind. 

6 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Soooooo.....how’s our winter storm Orlena coming along? Thanks Weather Channel. :facepalm:

Anyway—feels like a good old fashion DMV snow storm is closing in. Liking everything I’ve read and seen. New storm thread tomorrow? Friday?

@stormtracker will make the thread 12z tomorrow. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, osfan24 said:

Gonna take a guess and say the ensembles temps are being skewed by those outliers sitting inside the bay. There are a bunch of them, so something to watch, but the large majority are well off the coast.

That and it’s 18z so they are also skewed by those suppressed members where by then it’s sunny and 42 degrees because suppressed or not the cold gets scoured by the ridging ahead of the wave and only floods back in if it amplified. So those weak OTS members are also likely pretty warm at 1pm. Add in they are low resolution so likely a bit too warm across the members with a storm also. I would worry way more about the h5 and surface mslp then the surface temp mean at that range.  

• Like 3

Here is Hour 90 on both the Euro and the GFS.  H5 crossing into Illinois on the GFS and Euro has it SW on the MO/KS boarder.  Again, over New England there is a huge difference in the strength of the confluence.  FWIW (and not much at the end of the run), the Nam is in-between both of these.

gfs-deterministic-conus-vort500_z500-2051200.png

ecmwf-deterministic-conus-vort500_z500-2051200.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Me too, but I'm only kind of old. All I saw was a bag of bones.

Weather-related:

I assume the storm isn't done on the EPS at 144. Looks great, either way.

No there would be another 6 hours of goods for the majority cluster with lows tucked off Delmarva. You can likely add another 1-3” to the mean snowfall south to north starting at EZF. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1