• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
January Storm Term Threat Discussions (Day 3 - Day 7)

WxUSAF

Just now, Wentzadelphia said:

Incoming..This has to be good right psu?

FF38B4BB-0BEC-4183-AAF8-1DC865395778.jpeg

I would think yea... guidance today has trended back towards a healthy wave coming across...that's what I wanted to see.  Some of these runs are starting to align with my expectations for this setup.  That GFS run might have been overkill but thats the kind of max potential we have if the upper low amplifies enough to our west.  

• Like 2

I would think yea... guidance today has trended back towards a healthy wave coming across...that's what I wanted to see.  Some of these runs are starting to align with my expectations for this setup.  That GFS run might have been overkill but thats the kind of max potential we have if the upper low amplifies enough to our west.  
I still don't get how one model can show a healthy wave and another one show weak ass wave coming across 60 hours out

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Ji said:

It's probably good at 500 where they score the model but it seems to suck in forecasting actual weather

It's hard to get h5 right and mess up the surface over and over.  But...they score those things on a larger scale so if the UKMET has an issue with under and over amplifying discreet SWs it might not effect its overall score as much as it effects its ability to get details on a synoptic system correct.  

• Like 1

Just now, Ji said:

Para is a huge letdown. They should of kept the model in the repair shop

It still gets some snow even north of the Mason Dixon line.  Year the 1-2 feet stuff is in central to southeast VA...but even that run isn't where we need a HUGE north shift the last 100 hours.  Where were the storms at 100 hours out when we missed south?  Think back on all of those...the ones that teased us then went south...they were targeting NC... and we were being silly praying for a N trend of 250 miles.   And a lot of those did trend north and affect southern VA but not enough to help us up here...think about our storms that were supposed to jack us 120 hours out...how often they still end up hitting PA instead.  I would still rather be just north of the jack zone.  Not by a ton...we dont want this to be so far south that we arent even in precip from 100 hours out.  We dont want to need a 200 miles shift.  But if we only need a slight north adjustment at 100 hours...that isnt bad.  You really think this is going to absolutely NAIL the details from this range...and so where would you bet it shifts the final few days...a little north or a little south?  

It still gets some snow even north of the Mason Dixon line.  Year the 1-2 feet stuff is in central to southeast VA...but even that run isn't where we need a HUGE north shift the last 100 hours.  Where were the storms at 100 hours out when we missed south?  Think back on all of those...the ones that teased us then went south...they were targeting NC... and we were being silly praying for a N trend of 250 miles.   And a lot of those did trend north and affect southern VA but not enough to help us up here...think about our storms that were supposed to jack us 120 hours out...how often they still end up hitting PA instead.  I would still rather be just north of the jack zone.  Not by a ton...we dont want this to be so far south that we arent even in precip from 100 hours out.  We dont want to need a 200 miles shift.  But if we only need a slight north adjustment at 100 hours...that isnt bad.  You really think this is going to absolutely NAIL the details from this range...and so where would you bet it shifts the final few days...a little north or a little south?  
I think I'm just jaded by the lack of whatever we need...we get the opposite. North or south shift. But many of our great storms were Richmond bullseye. We don't even have the euro on board yet so this is all fantasy

But it's always more fun when the model plasters you. The gfs closed low bowling right through DC was amazing to look at lol

I'm halfway expecting the 0z euro to look like the para this run...which would still be progress 
That would be a huge improvement cause today at 12z was the most deflated I've been since 00z last night

• Haha 2

@Ji This captures the whole event without any contamination from other waves....

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-east-snow_96hr_inch-2137600.thumb.png.3276f03fdce2b9c42d32ce72199d5bb9.png

you really want this to trend any further north right now?  Op runs will bounce around.  Now I do want to see the EPS come north some...be more in line with the rest of guidance...but at this range we will still have some variance to operation runs...but we are a long way out to want it to start trending north already...we when are in the bullseye on the ensembles already and some of the ops.  

• Like 1

[mention=514]Ji[/mention] This captures the whole event without any contamination from other waves....
gfs-ensemble-all-avg-east-snow_96hr_inch-2137600.thumb.png.3276f03fdce2b9c42d32ce72199d5bb9.png
you really want this to trend any further north right now?  Op runs will bounce around.  Now I do want to see the EPS come north some...be more in line with the rest of guidance...but at this range we will still have some variance to operation runs...but we are a long way out to want it to start trending north already...we when are in the bullseye on the ensembles already and some of the ops.  
No we can't really afford any more north trends from the op gfs. I mentioned few days ago this has hecs upside but it doesn't look like that can happen if we have too much wiggle room

1 minute ago, Ji said:

No we can't really afford any more north trends from the op gfs. I mentioned few days ago this has hecs upside but it doesn't look like that can happen if we have too much wiggle room

agree the flow is very compressed to our northeast...so this will hit a brick wall somewhere...we need a health primary to the west so that the transfer ends up tucked nice and tight off the mid atlantic coast.  Unfortunately that has us playing with temp issues.  But the colder option has less upside.  

• Like 1

A Part me wants this because I want to have confidence that a blocking pattern can deliver the goods. I remember when psu a month ago compared this episode to the March blocking that clobbered new England but January version and its been a huge letdown so far

• Like 1