• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Storm Term Threat Discussions (Day 3 - Day 7)

WxUSAF

Just now, yoda said:

PW says 3 to 5 inches snow and 0.25+" ice... i'd take it

Yes WSW criteria for many.  Bump it tick south and better.  That low s juiced compared to 0z.  Another tick north and well you know.  But looks like the confluence would make it tough for a solid punch north...I think

• Like 1

Mount Holly's take for the early next week threat. I tend to agree with their general assessment.

The main story in the long term is the potential system Monday into Tuesday. Some of the operational models, most notably the Canadian, trended towards the GFS solution showing a track mostly suppressed to the south, progressive, and weakening as it gets to the eastern U.S.. The ECMWF still shows a slower solution with the low crossing over our region. However, I am a bit skeptical of the ECMWF solution as it depicts the southern stream mid level trough lifting northeast as it deepens without phasing with any shortwave trough in the northern stream. This seems like an odd track for this time of year, and quite a departure from what we`ve seen with recent storm tracks. None the less, I`ve stayed close to the previous forecast given the poor agreement between models and from run to run.

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

Mount Holly's take for the early next week threat. I tend to agree with their general assessment.

The main story in the long term is the potential system Monday into Tuesday. Some of the operational models, most notably the Canadian, trended towards the GFS solution showing a track mostly suppressed to the south, progressive, and weakening as it gets to the eastern U.S.. The ECMWF still shows a slower solution with the low crossing over our region. However, I am a bit skeptical of the ECMWF solution as it depicts the southern stream mid level trough lifting northeast as it deepens without phasing with any shortwave trough in the northern stream. This seems like an odd track for this time of year, and quite a departure from what we`ve seen with recent storm tracks. None the less, I`ve stayed close to the previous forecast given the poor agreement between models and from run to run.

LWX seems more gung ho with their take this morning

.LONG TERM /SUNDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...
Canadian high pressure will build overhead Sunday, bringing dry and
chilly conditions to the region.

Low pressure over the central CONUS will likely track nearby or
through our area Monday into Tuesday, bringing a chance for wintry
precipitation. Although confidence in the exact details remain
uncertain at this time, confidence for at least some wintry
precipitation has increased over the last couple days. This is
because the ensembles of the global guidance has picked up on the
threat, and the overall pattern does appear to be favorable for a
winter storm to affect our area. The low`s origin will be in the
Pacific Ocean, and with an active subtropical jet it should pick up
moisture from the Gulf of Mexico. At the same time, a negative NAO
(North Atlantic Oscillation) and AO (Arctic Oscillation) will favor
the development of high pressure to our north. Will continue to
monitor over the next few days.

28 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

Yup. The first storm gives us slop and rain and a few days later Norfolk gets its annual cold smoke blizzard while we trip over frozen chunks of mud.

At this point I'm willing to use my snow shovel just to scrape frozen leaves off my driveway.  If we get 1-2" in SoMD I'll consider that a warning level event.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

That means you don’t have them either. Get another guitar gig.

yea i didnt renew my subscription this year when i heard PSU's winter forecast back in October lol. Plus you snoop around enough on Twitter and the boards and you will find all you need(just now in real time:( 

• mappy changed the title to January Storm Term Threat Discussions (Day 1 - Day 7)
  • stormtracker locked this topic
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic