• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Texas Winter 2021

This is from yesterday... talk about shattering a daily record... that had stood for 112 years LOL

SXUS74 KFWD 160711
RERDFW

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
1251 AM CST TUE FEB 16 2021

...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE FOR 2/15 SET AT DALLAS FORT WORTH...

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF 4 WAS SET AT DALLAS FORT WORTH YESTERDAY.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 15 SET IN 1909.

...RECORD LOWEST MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE FOR 2/15 SET AT DALLAS FORT
WORTH...

A RECORD LOWEST MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE OF 14 DEGREES WAS SET AT DALLAS
FORT WORTH YESTERDAY FOR THIS DATE. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 31
DEGREES SET BACK IN 1909.
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, SWineman said:

I’ve just now got power, data, and internet back. Which model for round two is looking good? From my limited understanding the HRRR and Nam3k don’t look similar to me at all. The HRRR is way south compared to the Nam3k.

I am like you looking at this for the first time since Sunday. I have people asking what to expect and I have no idea as of now. Sure hoping the southern solution is correct to put me in the snow zone solidly.

11 minutes ago, SWineman said:

I’ve just now got power, data, and internet back. Which model for round two is looking good? From my limited understanding the HRRR and Nam3k don’t look similar to me at all. The HRRR is way south compared to the Nam3k.

I think we'll see between a T-2" in the Metroplex. Best lift is below DGZ (which is shallow) and that warm nose is going to ruin any shot of good ratios.

31 minutes ago, It's Always Sunny said:

I think we'll see between a T-2" in the Metroplex. Best lift is below DGZ (which is shallow) and that warm nose is going to ruin any shot of good ratios.

Houston never really saw snow round 1.  Sleet turned to small particles of ice, basically frozen drizzle, that sort of looked like snow, it didn't come down very fast, but didn't accumulate much.  OTOH, although some local back streets melted in sunny spots to pavement, there were still hard packed white spots on the streets at sundown.  I was watching TV before the blackout, people nearby reporting snow with SPC 850 mb of +4, and wondered.  Newest NAM, just enough freezing drizzle tonight before dawn on already cold, and in some places, still ice packed streets, to make for an interesting commute.

50 minutes ago, It's Always Sunny said:

Much more like the winter storms of yore lol. FWD still forecasting a 100% chance of snow fwiw

1 minute ago, cheese007 said:

Much more like the winter storms of yore lol. FWD still forecasting a 100% chance of snow fwiw

Yeah it could stay all snow, will be close! Warm nose could still be subfreezing I'm using it more in context of a warm air intrusion around 850mb that could bump down good snow growth is what I was getting at.

Here comes my round 2. Beginning as sleet in Longview. 2-3" of snow/sleet followed by 0.1"-0.2" freezing rain seems likely. Hopefully more snow and less ice.

I took a drive around town tonight. As expected, the roads are horrible. Still pretty manageable with 4wd, but roadways and especially intersections are becoming very icy as vehicles have continued driving on them.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cstrunk said:

Here comes my round 2. Beginning as sleet in Longview. 2-3" of snow/sleet followed by 0.1"-0.2" freezing rain seems likely. Hopefully more snow and less ice.

I took a drive around town tonight. As expected, the roads are horrible. Still pretty manageable with 4wd, but roadways and especially intersections are becoming very icy as vehicles have continued driving on them.

Looks like little zr and mostly snow but some sleet at the onset and wrap. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cheese007 said:

Anyone know why the forecast pages, hourly forecasts, and snowfall map on FWD's main page all diverge in their snowfall projections? And 2nding the power companies and state leguslature being held responsible. I know two folks without electricity *and* running water since no heat = burst pipes in this weather. There is no reason for folks having to poop in a bucket all to line the pockets of politicians and CEOs

Blame the rush to divert money away from coal and gas to wind and solar... Wind and solar won't help much in the times.   

5 minutes ago, cheese007 said:

Wind had problems but it wasn't *the* problem. That honor would go to natural gas: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.texastribune.org/2021/02/16/natural-gas-power-storm/amp/

Though some turbines did freeze, wind actually went over their projections this past weekend. Here's another good article on what actually broke down. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-16/frozen-wind-farms-were-just-a-small-piece-of-texas-s-power-woes

• Like 2

4 hours ago, It's Always Sunny said:

Looking like a good call so far. Any recent melting covered with some steady but very light snow by the airport. Probably end up with a 1/2inch when all is said and done unless things pick up soon

• Like 1

Well, a literal cold slap in the face of 10 mins of power at approximately 4 am.  That makes 10 mins of power for the last 36 hours

I believe that here in Lewisville the “rolling blackouts”  that were supposed to share the burden became “we don’t trust the grid so those of you don’t have power, won’t have power”.  

Fun times. 

Supposedly the initial botch by ERCOT, waiting too long to start rolling blackouts, damaged both generating plants and parts of the grid.  Add in the supply issues and they have to be very careful with the grid now, load balancing is critical.  Having it go down completely would be 100 times more disastrous than the current terrible fiasco.

That said, we've slowly improved from less than 2 hours total power per day to about 40% on, 60% off.  The outage gaps down from 11 hours to under 4 hours the last 3 times.  Enough time on each return (1.5-3 hours) to rewarm the house and where the lowest temps inside during outages are getting progressively higher.  They are making progress, hang in there.  I know it's really awful for many.