• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Texas Winter 2021

11 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

3 km 18Z NAM has more precip than 12 km NAM for Houston by a couple of tenths, which only matters in Winter.  Looking at NCEP QPF, I think 3 km is happier for Dallas as well.  Not that happy.  But happier.  I think they still ratio 5 inches.

12km NAM is great for East Texas.

• Like 2

Feels like light rain/drizzle Houston area (Houston mail address, don't vote in city elections) about 5 miles West of I-45 and a couple miles North of Beltway 8, (not far from FM 1960, if anyone knows the area) but it is freezing on the car.  Sidewalk just wet.  TV suggests Northwest suburbs switching to snow faster than modeled, which makes no sense based on SPC mesoanalysis 850 mb temps.

HappyHappyJoyJoy.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

Feels like light rain/drizzle Houston area (Houston mail address, don't vote in city elections) about 5 miles West of I-45 and a couple miles North of Beltway 8, (not far from FM 1960, if anyone knows the area) but it is freezing on the car.  Sidewalk just wet.  TV suggests Northwest suburbs switching to snow faster than modeled, which makes no sense based on SPC mesoanalysis 850 mb temps.

HappyHappyJoyJoy.jpg

Coming down hard now, must be some sleet mixed in because I can hear it, but staring at windshield, still mostly liquid.  Ice is getting thicker.  Sidewalk still just wet.

• Like 2

Pretty sure what people not far from here were calling snow (when 850 mb temps were well above freezing) is actually freezing drizzle that managed to freeze before reaching the ground.  It sort of looks like snow, it doesn't fall as fast as rain, but it is small frozen droplets.  3 km NAM suggests total (from 0Z) right about half an inch liquid equivalent.

I have been looking at weather maps for a long time. I cannot remember seeing a day when Texas was 50 degrees below average.  Hmm. Abilene TX climate report says that the high temp of 22 was 38 degrees below average. Tomorrows low will be 37 degrees below average.  Midland TX had 45 degrees below average for the high today and 28 degrees below average for the low that already occurred today.

ok2JF5L.gif

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chinook said:

I have been looking at weather maps for a long time. I cannot remember seeing a day when Texas was 50 degrees below average.  Hmm. Abilene TX climate report says that the high temp of 22 was 38 degrees below average. Tomorrows low will be 37 degrees below average.  Midland TX had 45 degrees below average for the high today and 28 degrees below average for the low that already occurred today.

ok2JF5L.gif

Twice in my lifetime at DFW. December 1983 and December 1989. These types of cold spells are more common of a colder AMO than what we have seen the last 25 years. The 60s through the 80s it was fairly common to drop below 10 degrees at DFW every couple of years or so. It is easier for the temp to reach below 10 degrees in winter time than to reach 110 in summer which has only occurred 12 times in all weather records at DFW. Though I will admit getting below 5 is pretty rare and to get to 0 or lower is like once in a 30 year event. 

Other severe cold snaps (comparable to current) of note for DFW are January 1930,  January 1912, February 1949, February 1933, February 1905, and February 1899

2 hours ago, EpicHECS said:

Posting Winter Storm Warnings for the total entirety of TX is a little laughable. A few inches of snow doesn't even warrant an advisory and having a Winter Storm Warning for areas such as Brazoria County on south is just a total exaggeration of the current situation. This is obviously just an attempt at filling the coffers with federal money. 

The criteria for a Winter Storm Warning is different based on where you live. This has always been the case. Those areas down there rarely see snow or accumulating snow. Like may once in 50 or 100 years. Plus, that region is a major agricultural region that is severely affected by such cold. The conditions warranted and met the local NWS office's criteria for that location for a Winter Storm Warning. It is not an attempt of anything.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

Our pathetic winter continues up here in the DC area, but I am excited to see this historic storm in Texas!!! Austin getting 3-5 inches of snow, going into the single digits two nights in a row, that’s so absurd. 

The models last week had the  pv setting up shop over the lakes this week . If that happened , all the brutally cold air that Texas is seeing now would have affected the Mid Atlantic and Northeast  with 2 big snowstorms. 

I am happy for Texas. It has been a long time for them.

Cherish this moment and take lots of pics

Posting Winter Storm Warnings for the total entirety of TX is a little laughable. A few inches of snow doesn't even warrant an advisory and having a Winter Storm Warning for areas such as Brazoria County on south is just a total exaggeration of the current situation. This is obviously just an attempt at filling the coffers with federal money. 

Dude why are you crappy on their thread ? The meaning of WSW is different  than what they are in NY.

21 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

The models last week had the  pv setting up shop over the lakes this week . If that happened , all the brutally cold air that Texas is seeing now would have affected the Mid Atlantic and Northeast  with 2 big snowstorms. 

I am happy for Texas. It has been a long time for them.

Cherish this moment and take lots of pics

Yeah, it's awesome.  It's amazing that Houston Texas will maybe have a lower lowest temp this winter than DC, Philly, and NYC.  

• Like 1

This is just flat wrong.

Texas has different winter weather than NY. So while two inches of snow is nothing for Long Island, it's crippling for other parts of the country. Just look at what a small bit of - Zr did to the DFW area a few days ago regarding a serious MVA. A WSW is warranted for the entirety of the state. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

Yeah, it's awesome.  It's amazing that Houston Texas will maybe have a lower lowest temp this winter than DC, Philly, and NYC.  

Enjoy every bit of it

Lowest temp up here was 15 for me in NYC.

5 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

This is just flat wrong.

Texas has different winter weather than NY. So while two inches of snow is nothing for Long Island, it's crippling for other parts of the country. Just look at what a small bit of - Zr did to the DFW area a few days ago regarding a serious MVA. A WSW is warranted for the entirety of the state. 

Exactly

• Like 1