• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Texas Winter 2021

Aggiegeog I'll tip my hat to you for calling this if it verifies. Though I still like the lesser amounts for now. Notice 3 to 6 being highlighted by Fort Worth NWS.

Starting to see trend in models of lesser snow amounts than what was seen yesterday for DFW. Of course this will change for each model iteration, we won't get a good handle on this until the system gets sampled by the upper air network tomorrow night. I am growing increasingly concerned with the powdery snow, winds being forecast (30 mph gusts) and extreme cold of near blizzard conditions at times Sunday night in and around DFW. The most impressive part is the fact that some type of frozen precip is likely to be seen all the way to Brownsville with this system. Practically the entire state. 

Of course the other impressive part is the extreme cold. At coldest point I call for 7°F to 10°F at DFW without snowpack, with snowpack temps could easily reach 0°F. So easily the coldest air in 30 plus years (since December 1989 anyway -1°F). If we somehow were to get to  -3°F (not sure about that)...it'll be the coldest in 120 years (since February 1899).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TexMexWx said:

I really hope we do get slammed (by snow). Granted I just woke up to the news of the massive pileup nearby and I'm not happy about that at all. I just hope people can stay safe, regardless of what else happens with the weather here.

Yeah that pile up was nasty. It managed to sleet here for all of 2 minutes and glazed over every surface including the streets. Have to imagine something similar happened with the 100+ car pileup there. Parts of centeal TX now under a Winter Storm Warning with a 26 car pileup in Austin

• Sad 1

Also just noticed that the latest long-term AFD mentions "more snow chances" for the middle of next week. Been seeing talks in the MO/KS/AR/OK discussion about that system, but granted it's probably too far away for me to want to discuss, because there is too much that can change between now and then (or between now and the Sun/Mon system, as a matter of fact). Some models do shown us getting a second round in that timeframe though as far as I know.

14 minutes ago, cheese007 said:

Yeah that pile up was nasty. It managed to sleet here for all of 2 minutes and glazed over every surface including the streets. Have to imagine something similar happened with the 100+ car pileup there. Parts of centeal TX now under a Winter Storm Warning with a 26 car pileup in Austin

Honestly, we could be seeing those massive weather-related pileups in San Antonio, and maybe even Houston in the coming days. It's crazy to have such a wide scope of freezing temps and ice down here.

• Sad 2

14 minutes ago, cheese007 said:

Central TX getting slammed while NTX misses out would also be very on brand for the past 6 years

I might end up having to move down to the Austin area, but I know that as soon as that happens, the pattern will flip. You're welcome. Enjoy beating the February 11-12, 2010 snowstorm while I sit and suffer in 80 degree February temperatures or something.

• Haha 1

I think the early week system is a 3-6" event for most north of I-10, with higher potential if the warm nose on models is overdone from greater ratios. We'll know more by Sat morning after the system moves ashore. The mid week storm will likely be pretty similar to the early week storm but maybe a bit warmer at the surface and colder in the upper levels possibly.

34 minutes ago, vwgrrc said:

12z GFS keeps the amount on the lesser side for DFW. I can only hope it doesn't pull back more at this point :(

I'm just going to hope that it's more like "trending back to reality" than a "trending north and going to miss us" thing. However, considering the clown kuchera maps still showing 3 feet of snow in parts of Oklahoma, we're probably not back in "reality" territory for the models yet :(

My classes are cancelled, and I wanted to go back to sleep upon realizing? Why can't I? Stupid weather model stress...

I am not concerned about missing out on the snow Monday along I-20 as models show good snow for most of the state they have just backed off on amounts as the wave is weaker and doesn't go negative tilt. Plenty of time for that to change even with the lower models currently I-20 corridor gets 3-6". 

The Canadian is crushing areas of N and NE TX Wed with >1" QPF of snow. Between the two storms most everyone will have 4-8 with some having a lot more than that.

Euro 850s are barely above freezing, I no longer have a good PPV model page since WeatherBell jacked my rates, I'd love to see Monday skew-Ts to see how much of the forecast 0.8 inches is sleet or freezing rain in Houston.  Half an inch liquid DFW, all snow and 850 mb below -10°C and well below freezing surface, that should fluff well over 10:1.

40 minutes ago, Chinook said:

Weather-related disaster in Fort Worth. You guys have probably already heard this on the news if you are from this area.

IO9YvlM.jpg

5 dead at least.  The truck drivers who piled in looked like they were going the speed limit.  This was well forecast by FWD, I suspect the highway information signs had messages about driving on ice.  And people were still driving the speed limit.

1 minute ago, cstrunk said:

Temperatures look to bust way low in Longview. Was originally forecast this morning to get to 40F, they've changed it to 38F. We've actually dropped from 34F to 33F as of 2 pm...

I haven’t budged 27 on the nw side of Ft. Worth. Temp highs have been consistently too warm here by 5 degrees or so since the initial front came through.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cstrunk said:

Temperatures look to bust way low in Longview. Was originally forecast this morning to get to 40F, they've changed it to 38F. We've actually dropped from 34F to 33F as of 2 pm...

SHV NWS extended the WAA until tomorrow, was originally only until noon today. Temps here only rose to 28 and seem to be dropping again. For now dry air near the surface is preventing more precip north of I-20, but that may change over time.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, vwgrrc said:

Looks like 18z ICON is bringing back a little bit more snow for DFW area while NAM32 is saying What snow?:thumbsdown:

Need GFS to pick a side...

If you bet on the drier and/or warmer solution every setup since March 2015 you'd be a millionaire by now. I don't know what quirk of climatology causes consistent frozen precip busts but it doesn't seem to be captured adequately by any weather models. Especially outside 4-5 days

4 minutes ago, cheese007 said:

If you bet on the drier and/or warmer solution every setup since March 2015 you'd be a millionaire by now. I don't know what quirk of climatology causes consistent frozen precip busts but it doesn't seem to be captured adequately by any weather models. Especially outside 4-5 days

That is a very DFW centric anomaly. Take today for example, a frozen mix is coating much of the state when only scattered light precip was modeled. The January snow was very well modeled even a 7-10 days beforehand. You cannot only consider a small geographic region. The Southern Plains are in the middle of one of the best winters in history with winter storms almost weekly somewhere in the region. This trend has no end insight as long as the -AO is in place.

Winter Storm Watch

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Fort Worth TX
351 PM CST Thu Feb 11 2021

...MAJOR WINTER STORM EXPECTED SUNDAY AND MONDAY...

TXZ091>095-100>107-115>123-129>134-141-120600-
/O.NEW.KFWD.WS.A.0002.210214T0600Z-210216T0000Z/
Montague-Cooke-Grayson-Fannin-Lamar-Young-Jack-Wise-Denton-Collin-
Hunt-Delta-Hopkins-Stephens-Palo Pinto-Parker-Tarrant-Dallas-
Rockwall-Kaufman-Van Zandt-Rains-Eastland-Erath-Hood-Somervell-
Johnson-Ellis-Comanche-
Including the cities of Bowie, Nocona, Gainesville, Sherman,
Denison, Bonham, Paris, Graham, Olney, Jacksboro, Decatur,
Bridgeport, Carrollton, Denton, Lewisville, Flower Mound, Plano,
McKinney, Allen, Frisco, Greenville, Commerce, Cooper,
Sulphur Springs, Breckenridge, Mineral Wells, Weatherford, Briar,
Fort Worth, Arlington, Dallas, Rockwall, Heath, Terrell, Kaufman,
Forney, Canton, Grand Saline, Wills Point, Van, Edgewood, Emory,
East Tawakoni, Point, Cisco, Eastland, Ranger, Gorman,
Stephenville, Dublin, Granbury, Oak Trail Shores, Glen Rose,
Cleburne, Burleson, Waxahachie, Ennis, Midlothian, Comanche,
and De Leon
351 PM CST Thu Feb 11 2021

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH
MONDAY AFTERNOON...

* WHAT...Heavy snow and blowing snow possible. Total snow
  accumulations of 3 to 7 inches possible. Bitterly cold
  temperatures expected. Near blizzard conditions possible.

* WHERE...Portions of north central and northeast Texas.

* WHEN...From late Saturday night through Monday afternoon.

* IMPACTS...Travel will become nearly impossible and could become
  life threatening. The cold wind chills as low as 15 below zero
  could result in hypothermia if precautions are not taken.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Precautions should be taken now to secure
  pipes and anything susceptible to the extreme cold. Have plenty
  of food and ways to stay warm in case of power outages.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Monitor the latest forecasts for updates on this situation.

&&

$$

Dunn

Houston AFD mentions possibility of not being able to travel from late Sunday into Tuesday.  Looking at models, hard to tell if it will be rain, and for how long.  850 mb temps drop pretty quickly Monday morning, so I suspect a rain to sleet to snow event.  QPF varies, Euro is over 3/4 inches.  GFS a little less, both close on surface temps at the start around 6Z Monday

Dallas people will hate 18Z QPF.  But ratios should be great.

FW mentioning blizzard conditions this far out is surprising but well deserved. There will be blowing and drifting of the heavy high ratio snow. Especially along and west of I-35. East of I-35 ratios likely drop closer to 10:1 but QPF will be greater so totals will likely be similar. The second storm midweek will continue the hazards into late week so those of us with kids will have lots of virtual learning days to look forward to, yay lol.

I took my document camera home.  My school district doesn't observe Presidents' Day but is giving teachers and students tomorrow off.  It is hard to teach math w/o a document camera and I can see my school insisting on a remote day Monday.  We were told to bring our computers and materials home.

40 minutes ago, aggiegeog said:

That is a very DFW centric anomaly. Take today for example, a frozen mix is coating much of the state when only scattered light precip was modeled. The January snow was very well modeled even a 7-10 days beforehand. You cannot only consider a small geographic region. The Southern Plains are in the middle of one of the best winters in history with winter storms almost weekly somewhere in the region. This trend has no end insight as long as the -AO is in place.

Oh yeah I know DFW is the odd man out. I just want to understand why. It's disheartening when you enjoy snow as much as I do and practically know nothing will accumulate no matter what FWD thinks

• Weenie 1

56 minutes ago, vwgrrc said:

I wonder if DFW would have any trouble with power outage this time? It was very bad in Dec 2013 ice storm, but not too surprised given that was almost pure freezing rain. This time is all snow, which shouldn't be an issue for most power lines. Any thought?

Doubtful DFW has outages from precipitation as it will be dry snow. As long as the grid is prepared for record demand then DFW should be fine. SE TX is another story where major icing will occur.