• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 7 - 8 ULL obs and nowcast

8 minutes ago, Save the itchy algae! said:

How do you guys upload pics here? It’s telling me max size is 1.95MB.  That seems small.

I resize them and use freeimage.host. You can upload them and find the direct link to the photo in the sharing via html option. It will be the part that ends in .jpg in the middle of the code. I just copy and paste that and drop that here and it auto hotlinks it.  

• Like 1

It's getting close to winding down here for now, though the radar has filled in a bit to the sw of me, that will probably be my last hurrah on this round. Still snowing enough to have visibility at around 1/2 mile and give it the foggy look outside but flake size is tiny now even with the radar not showing much happening here. Currently at 3.25 inches. I'll probably peak here with compacting happening and snow about to slack off for a while. Looks like another wave will rotate through around 9-11amish if the HRRR is to be believed. I don't expect it will amount to much, as temps will probably be in the mid 30s by then.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

After I got some big wet snowflakes around 930, I woke up to moderate to heavy rain at 1230. Changed over to all snow now. Not too disappointed, just kind of surprised that we had snow at the outset and then went to rain as the precip rates picked up. 

That's surprising to me too. I had just a very little bit of rain mixed in after the first burst of heavy snow but once it picked back up there was nothing but snow the rest of the night. Down to a few random flurries now. How much did you get?

2 minutes ago, John1122 said:

That's surprising to me too. I had just a very little bit of rain mixed in after the first burst of heavy snow but once it picked back up there was nothing but snow the rest of the night. Down to a few random flurries now. How much did you get?

It's just now starting to stick. I have a tiny glaze on my decks. Moderate right now and if it keeps this up through daybreak I might swing a dusting. 

1 minute ago, John1122 said:

That really surprises me. The ptype radar looked good for you overnight. 

Yeah, me too. I slept through a lot of it, so there may have been more mixing than when I woke up at 1230. I'm going to drive up toward Scott County after daybreak and see what I see up that way. I was wondering if it was just marginal enough that I got some downsloping off the Frozen Head mts with a NE wind:

UkQQGOW.png

18 minutes ago, 1234snow said:

Heavy wet snow continues. Just over an inch currently. Ratio has to be 5:1 or close to it. Very pasty snow. Probably would of already had 3 if a normal 10:1 ratio applied.

Temp is 33.

Yes, it's like concrete. The 10:1 maps giving me 5-6 inches were spot on given the actual ratio. I just measured again and I've lost almost 1/3rd of an inch due to compacting. The bottom layer is like 1/2 inch thick frost you have to scrape off. 

12 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

2" of the wettest snow I have seen in my short life this morning in Primm Springs, TN. Just a notch above freezing, but due to the high moisture content of the snowpack, the roads are still covered here. It will quickly melt on roadways, which is good, because I will be driving to work in 1 hour, and I'm glad it's not at or below freezing.

Curious to see how long the snowpack remains here. It won't vanish as fast since it isn't the fluffy dry stuff and we have the low January sun angle to work with.

With so much moisture it may stick around into tomorrow or Sunday, especially if it stays cloudy. It will be a slab of ice tonight once it gets into the 20s.