• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 8th event obs

BullCityWx

Wrapping up here as mostly rain, few wet flakes mixed in. Nothing even close to sticking. Not a total bust, since it did indeed briefly snow hard, and we were never going to get more than an inch, but I'll call it a semi-bust. Just once in my life, I'd like to see one of these events trend colder and overperform.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SnowDeac said:

Wrapping up here as mostly rain, few wet flakes mixed in. Nothing even close to sticking. Not a total bust, since it did indeed briefly snow hard, and we were never going to get more than an inch, but I'll call it a semi-bust. Just once in my life, I'd like to see one of these events trend colder and overperform.

Amen 

Sometimes things just don’t break your way at all with these storms. If we had more QPF this morning, we would’ve had accumulation easily. I left with a coating of snow and sleet on my car today. Starting with 18z yesterday, there’s been a hole over Durham and Wake Counties on the short range modeling and seemingly they are accurate with that. We don’t have the lift here that they’ve seen west, south and probably east of us will see. 

it’s a good thing I considered anything from this event a bonus. 

3 minutes ago, BullCityWx said:

Burlington made it to 40 today 

In Burlington (1 mi ESE of Elon) - started seeing snow mixing @ 430pm. But it stayed very mixed with sleet until ~5:30pm. 5:30-7:45pm huge fluffy snow but marginal temps - struggled to have 1/2" at most to show for it. Mixing back now w/ sleet and maybe rain, big fluffies gone.

32.5 and still have some very light snow coming down.  Ended up with right under 2”.  It was almost all snow from start to finish save a couple of brief sleet and mixing moments.  There was a lot of melting early on that hurt totals.  I have no right to complain given how this storm played out overall.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BullCityWx said:

Sometimes things just don’t break your way at all with these storms. If we had more QPF this morning, we would’ve had accumulation easily. I left with a coating of snow and sleet on my car today. Starting with 18z yesterday, there’s been a hole over Durham and Wake Counties on the short range modeling and seemingly they are accurate with that. We don’t have the lift here that they’ve seen west, south and probably east of us will see. 

it’s a good thing I considered anything from this event a bonus. 

13 minutes ago, BullCityWx said:

The triangle has done quite well if you count back the last five years or so. 

Yep, been stuck in that hole for a while here in south Durham. I noticed it on the HRRR but hoped it was a fluke. Overall, had a brief rain/snow/sleet mix early this morning 5-6 am, leaving a trace on elevated surfaces. Then a rain/snow mix since 7:30. I didn't have my hopes too high overall though. And you're right about the Triangle being really lucky the past several years. Can't complain much at all given that.

16 minutes ago, magpiemaniac said:

32.5 and still have some very light snow coming down.  Ended up with right under 2”.  It was almost all snow from start to finish save a couple of brief sleet and mixing moments.  There was a lot of melting early on that hurt totals.  I have no right to complain given how this storm played out overall.

You did better than me congrats 

9 minutes ago, NCBlizzard said:

Yep, been stuck in that hole for a while here in south Durham. I noticed it on the HRRR but hoped it was a fluke. Overall, had a brief rain/snow/sleet mix early this morning 5-6 am, leaving a trace on elevated surfaces. Then a rain/snow mix since 7:30. I didn't have my hopes too high overall though. And you're right about the Triangle being really lucky the past several years. Can't complain much at all given that.

Yeah, it is what it is. Can’t win them all.

• Like 1

• jburns unpinned this topic