Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 8th event obs

BullCityWx

Just now, Disc said:

Near Floyd County line in southern Roanoke Co. 

Impressive! I’m up Glenvar side of Salem. Just took lunch here. Easily 1.5” looking out. Driveway and concrete starting to cave somewhat. Great little surprise IMO. Models were back and forth this far north.

2 hours ago, NCSNOW said:

The ULL opened up, was modeled to always be a risk at this juncture of hapening. We can thank the confluence getting screwed up in the NE. Should close back off this afternoon and deepen  as it exits the coast. Look for things to fire up for a couple hours for mostly everyone. Supose to get a  10-15 mb drop into the 990's. 

Is there a way to follow that sort of live. Like how can you see the ULL opened up and when it’s going to close off? I’m learning 

10 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Impressive! I’m up Glenvar side of Salem. Just took lunch here. Easily 1.5” looking out. Driveway and concrete starting to cave somewhat. Great little surprise IMO. Models were back and forth this far north.

It’s been snowing pretty heavy in Blacksburg last couple hours.Looks like SW Virginia should have been on the Winter Storm Warning from this weather system.

Starting to get a little excited that the farm in Stuart might end up near the pivot.  Radar looks quite robust back to the WSW and as the day progresses all of that moisture looks to swing thru.  I'm quickly headed for a half inch on the security cams, but stay tuned, this could get interesting real quick.  For you too @BornAgain13 and @Buddy1987

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Starting to get a little excited that the farm in Stuart might end up near the pivot.  Radar looks quite robust back to the WSW and as the day progresses all of that moisture looks to swing thru.  I'm quickly headed for a half inch on the security cams, but stay tuned, this could get interesting real quick.  For you too @BornAgain13 and @Buddy1987

That band moving north in southern VA is gonna be sweet for whoever ends up underneath it.

18 minutes ago, Disc said:

That band moving north in southern VA is gonna be sweet for whoever ends up underneath it.

That band looks to mean business. I’m not sure it can make it this far north but then again I haven’t seen the surface wrt where LP is etc..

5 minutes ago, CentralNC said:

Too bad we don't have many posters from Wilkes county anymore.  That band seems to have been sitting over them for hours.

WXII had a reporter out there off 421 in N Wilkesboro for the afternoon newscast. Looked like moderate snow, but barely had a dusting in the grass, wet roads. However, radar returns have picked up a bit since then with the ULL moving overhead.

8 minutes ago, SENC said:

Can (I) assume the ULL is making the "transfer" ATM? To the Coast?

We went from Sunny to VERY cloudy Skies, in the past hour..

Cloud deck has Lowered,  & looks (Ominous)  AND NWS is now calling for a "mix" here on the Coast, Later this afternoon/tonight..

Likely so.  I've been watching the radar like a hawk the last hour and sure enough the northerly movement of the precip around the triad has just about stopped.  Starting to see some precip heading ESE out of the mountains now.  I love my chances at a full afternoon snow at the farm in Stuart now.  It's just going to set up camp right over my barn!

EDIT - temp has dropped below freezing now too.  Sticking like crazy!

• Thanks 1

(Local NWS) for My Coastal area(s)..

.SYNOPSIS...
A storm system will impact the area with cold and blustery
winds today, with increasing clouds and isolated showers,
followed by widespread showers tonight.

The showers may change over to, or mix with snow and sleet from I-95 eastward across
interior SE NC, tonight into pre-dawn Saturday, before moving
off the coast just prior to daybreak Saturday. No accumulation
of snow or ice is expected. Drying with fair and cool weather
can be expected over the weekend. A less intense system may
bring rain to area Monday night and Tuesday.

&&

.UPDATE...
Dry slot lifting NNE, will bring infusion of cloud `re- fill`,
after which by late afternoon, upper cold pool rotates across
NE SC and SE NC, bringing widespread showers from west to east,
and some of this apt to change over to -SHSN and IP in the
evening as NW winds bring bolstered cold air advection. `Cold
air chasing moisture` will see overlap, to bring brief frozen
pcpn tonight, favored over interior SE NC. Accumulations of ice
or snow not anticipated on roadways, as temps on the concrete
surfaces are likely to melt quickly, anything arriving frozen.
Will see what 12z data brings in terms of -SHSN/IP adjustments,
that will shape messaging into the main issuances this aftn.

Radar is filling back in over Triad. Mix of very light rn/ip/sn starting to fall. Similar to 9-11am this morning, I expect some decent rates between 3-5pm but would be surprised to see any accumulation. I don’t see why RAH is holding onto WSW here, but here’s to hoping...

• jburns unpinned this topic