Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Banter and General Disco 2

dendrite

5 hours ago, Supernovice said:

Based on my experience don’t bother.  We can’t say anything because then the Covidiots start spewing even more nonsense and all Covid talk gets shut down.

which actually is better than reading these posts...so maybe attack away? 

What are you going to say when TX and MS still don’t have the spike in deaths that folks such as yourself have long been predicting? It isn’t like we don’t have facts on the ground we can look at to see the reality with COVID. It’s been over a year now. You can take off the fear goggles and accept the fact that the massive death spike in states that didn’t lock down never came. 

13 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

What are you going to say when TX and MS still don’t have the spike in deaths that folks such as yourself have long been predicting? It isn’t like we don’t have facts on the ground we can look at to see the reality with COVID. It’s been over a year now. You can take off the fear goggles and accept the fact that the massive death spike in states that didn’t lock down never came. 

I dunno. Texas was averaging over 300 per day for a while.  Not sure how that compares per capita to others.
That surge was a few weeks ago when we knew a lot about the virus   States like NJ and Mass and NY were spiking when we had no clue about what to do 

Don’t really care what they do really. It’s all ending soon enough.  I wouldn’t follow anything Texas does though. 

6 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

They are still averaging over 200 deaths per day (7 day avg) there.  That’s pretty rough considering how things can be handled.  I hope the mask thing works out for them.  I really do. But not sure what the big deal is about wearing them. 

How is Texas compared to other huge states such as NY, CA, and FL? I know CA isn’t doing any better than FL, for example. So not sure what it means to say “how things can be handled.”

12 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I dunno. Texas was averaging over 300 per day for a while.  Not sure how that compares per capita to others.
That surge was a few weeks ago when we knew a lot about the virus   States like NJ and Mass and NY were spiking when we had no clue about what to do 

Don’t really care what they do really. It’s all ending soon enough.  I wouldn’t follow anything Texas does though. 

It’s almost like the virus spread through different areas at different times irrespective of rules around when to wear a mask and how to eat at a restaurant. 

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

How is Texas compared to other huge states such as NY, CA, and FL? I know CA isn’t doing any better than FL, for example. So not sure what it means to say “how things can be handled.”

Again for NY the bigger issues were early on. FL and TX seem to be in a similar boat but I haven’t looked much. CA seems like a shitshow.  

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

It’s almost like the virus spread through different areas at different times irrespective of rules around when to wear a mask and how to eat at a restaurant. 

It will be interesting to see the post mortem on it. See what really worked and what didn’t.  Pop density seems to be a big factor. Percentage of residents with underlying health conditions also seems to play a role.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

It will be interesting to see the post mortem on it. See what really worked and what didn’t.  Pop density seems to be a big factor. Percentage of residents with underlying health conditions also seems to play a role.  

It’s interesting to see the FL and CA data since FL is the second oldest state and CA is the fifth youngest. You would have expected very bad numbers in FL. 

A lot of folks point to Australia, but those comparisons are kinda silly. It’s the most remote western nation on the planet, an island, and has one of the lowest population densities of any nation on earth (it may be the lowest, definitely lowest of any industrialized nation). Totally different scenario than NYC, LA, Dallas, Houston, Miami, etc. 

10 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Again for NY the bigger issues were early on. FL and TX seem to be in a similar boat but I haven’t looked much. CA seems like a shitshow.  

NY currently has the highest rate of Covid infections per 100k people despite having one of the strictest mask requirements in the country. Florida has been completely open for months and New York has beaten them in # of infections that entire time period. It doesn't make sense to me, that's just the data.

• Like 1

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

NY currently has the highest rate of Covid infections per 100k people despite having one of the strictest mask requirements in the country. Florida has been completely open for months and New York has beaten them in # of infections that entire time period. It doesn't make sense to me, that's just the data.

Yeah.  Very interesting stuff.   

Actually, I was wrong about some of what I had thought...

Per 100,000 people, as per this site, Texas, CA, and FL are mid pack, NY is in better shape and MA just a tiny bit better in terms of cases per capita.

ND and RI are #1 and #2.... #1 being bad...     huh... interesting

Now that is for the whole pandemic.

As BuffaloWeather stated, in the last week, NY has the highest rate... I wonder why that is...

And another edit... RI has a higher case rate than NY for the last 7 days

And another... NJ is even higher

26 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

A lot of folks point to Australia, but those comparisons are kinda silly. It’s the most remote western nation on the planet, an island, and has one of the lowest population densities of any nation on earth (it may be the lowest, definitely lowest of any industrialized nation). Totally different scenario than NYC, LA, Dallas, Houston, Miami, etc. 

Australia also has a pretty strict set of internal travel restrictions.  

9 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Actually, I was wrong about some of what I had thought...

Per 100,000 people, as per this site, Texas, CA, and FL are mid pack, NY is in better shape and MA just a tiny bit better in terms of cases per capita.

ND and RI are #1 and #2.... #1 being bad...     huh... interesting

Now that is for the whole pandemic.

As BuffaloWeather stated, in the last week, NY has the highest rate... I wonder why that is...

And another edit... RI has a higher case rate than NY for the last 7 days

And another... NJ is even higher

I think different variants are causing some of these anomalies. As long as hospitalizations and deaths keep declining cases hardly matter. 

• Like 3

how bout that market lol

Nasdaq is falling hard and Jay Powell is not looking close to saying what the market wants to hear. SP 500 is gonna retest the lower rail of a 11 month trend line for the second time in a week shortly ..unless 10 year rates organically fall due to being oversold. 

I know very exciting stuff.. Just incredibly boring to 90% haha

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

how bout that market lol

Nasdaq is falling hard and Jay Powell is not looking close to saying what the market wants to hear. SP 500 is gonna retest the lower rail of a 11 month trend line for the second time in a week shortly ..unless 10 year rates organically fall due to being oversold. 

I know very exciting stuff.. Just incredibly boring to 90% haha

Powell is more acutely sensitive to markets than any of his predecessors. He will say and do whatever he has to to keep them afloat at this point.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

stop fear mongering... Africa did not have lock downs.. neither did Nauru and Malta.. just stop it

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

stop fear mongering... Africa did not have lock downs.. neither did Nauru and Malta.. just stop it

States that locked down have better metric than states that did. Saying Texas needs to "do more" and be like CA and NY is just silly in light of the real metrics on the ground.

• Like 1