Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Banter and General Disco 2

dendrite

42 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

We're almost certainly guaranteed to experience a third wave of less significance compared to the first two, imo. 

14 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

People are still talking about these "waves"?

It's over dude.

Cdc is talking about a 4th wave

What a joke

Just now, MJO812 said:

Cdc is talking about a 4th wave

What a joke

More people are starting to wake up to what is really going on here. That's what is needed if we are ever to get off this endless staircase. The metrics for "return to normal" of extremely low case counts and 100% worldwide vaccination that have been thrown out there are literally impossible to achieve... more people are doing the math and realizing this.

• Like 2

TX, MS, and FL will be wide open with metrics no worse than the lockdown states. When will the position of the lockdown governors become so untenable they have to throw in the towel? It seems silly at this point for people to still be predicting mass death and destruction in FL and TX. We are way past "boy who cried wolf" territory here... this is just denial and willful ignorance now. Humans (and especially their governments) are so bad at admitting they made a mistake and not doubling down when shown evidence they were wrong.

22 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

More people are starting to wake up to what is really going on here. That's what is needed if we are ever to get off this endless staircase. The metrics for "return to normal" of extremely low case counts and 100% worldwide vaccination that have been thrown out there are literally impossible to achieve... more people are doing the math and realizing this.

Yup . And a lot realized very early on 

46 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

People have been predicting massive spikes in deaths in TX and FL for a year now and they have yet to materialize. It might be time to just start moving on here. There is no reason to look at decisions made a year ago about masks and lockdowns and second-guess them. People made the best calls they could based on early info. But we need to look at the reality on the ground now and get on with things. The schools especially.

Yeah, I think the lockdowns and mask mandates made sense at the time. Now that most people >65 have been vaccinated the rationale for keeping strict restrictions in place becomes more tenuous. The goal was to flatten the curve to prevent the health care system from collapsing and that worked. Now that the vulnerable have a growing level of protection time to open up.

I still think mask mandates in public when you can't maintain distance makes sense... and it doesn't make sense to open nightclubs at 100% capacity. 

36 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Even "blue state" governors are opening stuff up quickly. Indoor dining is returning, bars are reopening, indoor gatherings are allowed with increased capacity.

It makes sense now. Risk will never be zero but as we're rapidly vaccinating people and there's a lot of immunity in the population already from prior infection it's time to open up. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Even "blue state" governors are opening stuff up quickly. Indoor dining is returning, bars are reopening, indoor gatherings are allowed with increased capacity.

It makes sense now. Risk will never be zero but as we're rapidly vaccinating people and there's a lot of immunity in the population already from prior infection it's time to open up. 

I’ve had these discussions privately with family etc, but, reading some of the stuff that comes out is depressing. Seems like the “metrics” for any kind of normalcy continue to shift toward unreachable territory.

Numbers improve, and restrictions relax and now the director of the CDC comes out and throws cold water on all the progress and the opening of things, and how it will undo everything. I mean really?

I know there is supposed to be no Covid talk, but it does seem like we slowly continue to push towards metrics that are unattainable as far as a return to normal.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’ve had these discussions privately with family etc, but, reading some of the stuff that comes out is depressing. Seems like the “metrics” for any kind of normalcy continue to shift toward unreachable territory.

Numbers improve, and restrictions relax and now the director of the CDC comes out and throws cold water on all the progress and the opening of things, and how it will undo everything. I mean really?

I know there is supposed to be no Covid talk, but it does seem like we slowly continue to push towards metrics that are unattainable as far as a return to normal.

Once I get the needle, I'm going to business as usual as realistically as I can be. I have no problem in certain situations if I need to distance or wear a mask.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Once I get the needle, I'm going to business as usual as realistically as I can be. I have no problem in certain situations if I need to distance or wear a mask.

I mean, I’ve already had it now, and based on literature, I’ll be getting the shot before there is a real chance of me contracting it again.

Ive been required to wear a mask at my job, working outdoors, hundreds of feet away from others most of the time, since last April.  When it’s 95 and humid out, wearing a mask blows. I’m over it in that regard 

15 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I mean, I’ve already had it now, and based on literature, I’ll be getting the shot before there is a real chance of me contracting it again.

Ive been required to wear a mask at my job, working outdoors, hundreds of feet away from others most of the time, since last April.  When it’s 95 and humid out, wearing a mask blows. I’m over it in that regard 

Your shot isn't even all that effective against variants that are already spreading in the US. We all need to get off the treadmill here soon. The gov't will never let us off themselves.

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 2

I think many people seriously underestimate how much Covid has warped some people’s mental state. 

I know people who were well-adjusted, social beings just a year ago who now scold me, a healthy 25 y/o who lives alone who rarely interacts with anyone over the age of 45 and pretty much nobody over the age of 60 for doing outdoor dining with friends. 

Some people also have no sense of risk-mitigation vs. risk-elimination. Personally, I have to have some semblance of a social life to stay sane. However, I’ve generally tried to stick to the principles of outdoors>indoors, getting tested before/after traveling, avoiding elderly/frail, etc. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Your shot isn't even all that effective against variants that are already spreading in the US. We all need to get off the treadmill here soon. The gov't will never let us off themselves.

It’s not necessarily super effective against disease prevention of the variants (60-70% is still good though) but it’s definitely effective against severe outcomes.

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

I think many people seriously underestimate how much Covid has warped some people’s mental state. 

I know people who were well-adjusted, social beings just a year ago who now scold me, a healthy 25 y/o who lives alone who rarely interacts with anyone over the age of 45 and pretty much nobody over the age of 60 for doing outdoor dining with friends. 

Some people also have no sense of risk-mitigation vs. risk-elimination. Personally, I have to have some semblance of a social life to stay sane. However, I’ve generally tried to stick to the principles of outdoors>indoors, getting tested before/after traveling, avoiding elderly/frail, etc. 

Many, many people have been horribly damaged by the last 12 months. Just look how our society is behaving right now. The world of 2015 seems like decades ago.

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

It’s not necessarily super effective against disease prevention of the variants (60-70% is still good though) but it’s definitely effective against severe outcomes.

I get it, but "severe outcomes" are only a challenge for a tiny, tiny fraction of the population in the first place...

The vast majority of people don't even need the vaccine.

• Weenie 1

Just now, Whineminster said:

It's not as contagious as people say it is....based on my experiences with it anyway.  Yes you can spread it, but it ain't jumping across the street and landing in my mouth. 

Studies say it doesn't spread in...

stores

restaurants

homes with other COVID-positive people

schools

airplanes 

hospitals

social justice rallies

Where does it spread?

• Weenie 2

6 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

It never really began lol.   Maybe because of the steps we took, but still.....

The Branch Covidians will never let this go now. For some people, they have finally found a purpose and direction in life. It's now acceptable to stay at home, shun people, and collect money from the government. That's now a completely acceptable and even virtuous way to live.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

The CDC also recommends red meat be cooked well done and not to eat runny yolks. 

Governors are going to reopen because they know there is no appetite for lockdowns or strict capacity limits. I was very pro restriction when we all had to do our part to slow the spread, flatten the curve, etc. But today is far different than a year ago and there will be a ton of vaccines given out in the next month. 

This will be with us for a long time we're going to have to live with it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

The CDC also recommends red meat be cooked well done and not to eat runny yolks. 

Governors are going to reopen because they know there is no appetite for lockdowns or strict capacity limits. I was very pro restriction when we all had to do our part to slow the spread, flatten the curve, etc. But today is far different than a year ago and there will be a ton of vaccines given out in the next month. 

This will be with us for a long time we're going to have to live with it. 

We don’t have thousands of Karens on Twitter demanding that the police arrest and fine people for eating runny eggs. 

• Weenie 3

Just now, PhineasC said:

We don’t have thousands of Karens on Twitter demanding that the police arrest and fine people for eating runny eggs. 

Ha that's true. I don't know I feel like all of this changes very quickly in a few weeks when ~50% of adults have had their first shot. 

Not any attempt to conjure an unintended ...unwinnable political popsicle headache but wasn’t the CDC gutted of the pandemic arm by the previous administration ?

the incoming administration has had to scaffold a response model almost from scratch. 

...seems the CDC may take the oath of least liability by always implicating the worst of if all possible scenarios -

• Like 5

7 hours ago, PhineasC said:

How many people have been arrested for not wearing masks?   Pretty much zero.   It’s not like Covid was the flu.  Over 500k Americans and counting. We did horribly here at controlling it. 
It should be back to normal pretty soon is my guess.  Numbers are dropping in every category.  Maybe not as quickly as some would like but we are getting there. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The poop data is promising all around. Although, do vaccines affect that data in any way? 

The poop seems to be the most accurate predictor of trends imho.  Are they doing it in other places beside MWRA?

im also looking forward to warmer weather to drink beers outdoors at breweries.  That was always my preference before the Vid

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

The poop seems to be the most accurate predictor of trends imho.  Are they doing it in other places beside MWRA?

im also looking forward to warmer weather to drink beers outdoors at breweries.  That was always my preference before the Vid

Ryan has posted some data from CT too. 

• Like 1