• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Banter and General Disco 2

dendrite

Not sure if this belongs in the banter thread or not.  @dendrite posted a screenshot from a WS4000 simulator used to reproduce the Weather Channel local forecast graphics decks from the 1990's on the Feb 22 thread.  Did some research based on that screen shot - had some fun setting this up that I'm sure many on the forum would appreciate.  Hopefully the link continues to work - had some issues with takedown's due to the background music I picked out (I really wanted to make it authentic based on memory of some of the music my cable company used to inject into the Local Forecast breaks):

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=345618743325108&ref=watch_permalink

This was done purely for fun and nostalgia - enjoy!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

Not sure if this belongs in the banter thread or not.  @dendrite posted a screenshot from a WS4000 simulator used to reproduce the Weather Channel local forecast graphics decks from the 1990's on the Feb 22 thread.  Did some research based on that screen shot - had some fun setting this up that I'm sure many on the forum would appreciate.  Hopefully the link continues to work - had some issues with takedown's due to the background music I picked out (I really wanted to make it authentic based on memory of some of the music my cable company used to inject into the Local Forecast breaks):

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=345618743325108&ref=watch_permalink

This was done purely for fun and nostalgia - enjoy!

Nice! You can offset the ob graphics on the regional screens as well so that they don't overlap.

btw...if you ever figure out the radar let me know.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

The market needs to come back down the reality.  Record highs in the middle of a pandemic with soaring unemployment just makes no sense.  The super rich will still benefit nicely as they'll just pick up discounted stocks and ride the next wave up as the poor scrounge for scraps (if they're even at the table).  What a system!

I would agree it does. The problem  is such a tremendous amount of leverage on the long side that there isn't much middle ground between a flash crash and New all time highs. Sorta booby trapped. If Fed doesn't intervene with talking 10 year rates  down (the world over)  as market throws its tanturm ....then there is a sizable tail risk from a very fast downturn

12 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Nice! You can offset the ob graphics on the regional screens as well so that they don't overlap.

btw...if you ever figure out the radar let me know.

On the WS4000 forum there are a couple posts about the radar being down - it has to do with NWS getting rid of their old radar graphics system.  It broke in mid December.  I'm not a coder so I don't think I could handle a custom fix for it, but it sounds like they are going to try and update the app to use radar info from the University of Iowa.  It sounds like Bill, the primary developer, is having a tough time in his personal life so he's not updating the app as much as he would like.

I'm still playing around with it.  It was a nice late Feb/COVID geek project!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

On the WS4000 forum there are a couple posts about the radar being down - it has to do with NWS getting rid of their old radar graphics system.  It broke in mid December.  I'm not a coder so I don't think I could handle a custom fix for it, but it sounds like they are going to try and update the app to use radar info from the University of Iowa.  It sounds like Bill, the primary developer, is having a tough time in his personal life so he's not updating the app as much as he would like.

I'm still playing around with it.  It was a nice late Feb/COVID geek project!

I feel like Bill used to post back in the day on Eastern. I wanna say he was from Maine, but I may be confusing him with someone else. Just saw your PM too. I'm glad others are enjoying it as much as me.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I thought frost quake at first, but I feel like the ground wasn't deeply frozen enough for that? I'm no expert though.

Good point Scott, I have a friend that is in Construction , last week they were doing a septic repair in Londonderry, NH, he said no more then 10-12" in spots.....Sunny area? Don't know that

8 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

The taste thing is so bizarre.  I know a few folks who had very mild cases but lost taste and smell for weeks.

7 hours ago, MarkO said:

I was very mild , slight cough, body aches for one morning, but yeah, the loss of taste and smell lasted about 2 weeks. Weird to wake up one morning and not have bad breath (dogs too, lol). Went to the fridge opened bag of coffee, nothing!).

Yeah... I would consider my case pretty mild. Had body aches for like a day and that was it other than taste and smell.

It also seems taste lags behind smell. Tonight I had chicken and could smell it somewhat but couldn’t really taste it.

I guess it’s good that I’m getting hints of taste and smell at this point. My mother has neither taste or smell back at all yet 

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Would need to be flying pretty low to shake houses but certainly possible.

I’ll never forget the time when I was in high school and two jets from the old Plattsburgh Air Force Base came screaming down our valley so low you could see the pilots. There was no sonic boom but it was incredibly loud  I remember them shaking the barn we were in. My neighbor’s husband was the commanding officer at the Lakehurst Naval Air Station at the time.  She called him, got him out of a staff meeting and insisted he call Plattsburgh and report it to the base commander.  I don’t know if anything ever came of that but it was funny listening to her yell at her husband who was hundreds of miles away about something that didn’t have anything to do with his branch of service. 

46 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

You day trading?

Trading some names definitely, holding others .

But also just very interested and imo aware of policy implications and current issues . Systematic issues in a highly leveraged market dependent on growing intervention to keep asset levels ..perpetually elevated to ensure solvent pensions and household balance sheets 

Anyway , we will see when Fed acts . 

3 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Trading some names definitely, holding others . But also very interested and imo aware of policy implications and current issues . Systematic issues in a highly leveraged market dependent on growing intervention to keep asset levels ..perpetually elevated to ensure solvent pensions and household balance sheets. Markets have been dependent on Fed loose policy since late 90’s..

It's been interesting since the late 90's, it seems it was easy to make money in tech in the 1995-2000, then I went to silver and gold and made good money, of course the markets reversed but that's what I'm in now. I traded penny stocks for a while but you need time and I don't have it now. I have an actual job so I'm in the buy and hold for awhile at this time.

You have any intermediate holds right now, by that I mean a couple months and get out.

2 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

It's been interesting since the late 90's, it seems it was easy to make money in tech in the 1995-2000, then I went to silver and gold and made good money, of course the markets reversed but that's what I'm in now. I traded penny stocks for a while but you need time and I don't have it now. I have an actual job so I'm in the buy and hold for awhile at this time.

You have any intermediate holds right now, by that I mean a couple months and get out.

I do have a couple holds . I sold many of my stocks last week. First 3 are 

E 3 metals (EEMMF) 
Standard Lithium (STLHF) 

American Manganese (AMZYF)

I hold a ton of lithium miners but not married to them 

I also like PWON and ADN for energy storage and plan on holding 

• Thanks 1

I've had both shots of Pfizer....just felt like someone punched me in the shoulder, though second one was worse and even swollen a bit. I had a what felt like a hint of a fever late at night following second one, but didn't miss a beat...NBD.

Tried to donate plasma today, but couldn't do bc I had the vaccine. Just ended up doing regular blood donation. 

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

0D257057-A621-4C40-A2D0-7838FD0FBD7E.thumb.jpeg.1adc371bf6226ed6f2a7dc9c0aa3d250.jpeg

It's sort of staring folks right in the face.  The Fed is the reason for all the liquidity and the crowded long trade that may begin to unwind here. Chair Powell also made it clear he did not intend to step in (more than they already are) and do anything about rising yields (that make borrowing rates higher to consumers)  * Bc they seethem as fulfilling their forecast /desire for letting inflation run a little hot And especially as added confidence in the market pricing in more of a recovery.   Its ironic in a sense that as the economy was in the toilet and interest rates were extremely low the stock market was soaring and now (unless the Fed steps in-and they made it seem like they won't unless there is carnage) as the economy picks up again the stock market is looking vulnerable. 

If you look at valuations and adjust them lower due to rising interest rates....and take into account the market almost always overshoots in whatever direction it is moving...it should be a wild ride next week . The Trend line from last April's rally into Mid February has a ...well just look at this chart.  The line in the sand on SP 500 is 3770 ...we break that and Free falling comes on

The Nasdaq closed below it's 50 Day moving ave. and the SP 500 (ES)(SPX) bounced of its 50 day around 1030 am. The market crapped itself around 350 P.M before the close. Now with all the liquidity the market could do anything from here, I don't mean to act like i "Know" where it's going but we have a key  (NEW) situation where the FED is for the first time in the year long rally the PROBLEM and it views the Yield rise (markets problem) as a GOOD THING that confirms the fed is doing its job in orchestrating a economic recovery. There are 6 Fed governors that speak next week and they will likely be spewing the same .."yields rising is a confirmation the economy is recovering" . This should send the market on its AZZ unless they find the wiggle room to change their mind prior to the market breaking the trend line above. The rising yields are a global issue and the Europeans are not so jolly about the movement as the rise in borrowing rates is choking off their recovery before it even gets going...they may break ranks with the FED and try to stop the rise..but the US Bond market is the biggest market in the whole financial system by a large degree so it sorta steers the boat. To add one final counter point ..there is the chance that this rising yield trade is nearly exhausted and or that the Fed will act clandestinely to  bring rates down thru direct unannounced purchases to  avoid asset price falls and to avoid acting like they are panicked  about rising rates (and to save markets confidence in them) either one of these would likely save the market from a break below the key support measures. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

It's sort of staring folks right in the face.  The Fed is the reason for all the liquidity and the crowded long trade that may begin to unwind here. Chair Powell also made it clear he did not intend to step in (more than they already are) and do anything about rising yields (that make borrowing rates higher to consumers)  * Bc they seethem as fulfilling their forecast /desire for letting inflation run a little hot And especially as added confidence in the market pricing in more of a recovery.   Its ironic in a sense that as the economy was in the toilet and interest rates were extremely low the stock market was soaring and now (unless the Fed steps in-and they made it seem like they won't unless there is carnage) as the economy picks up again the stock market is looking vulnerable. 

If you look at valuations and adjust them lower due to rising interest rates....and take into account the market almost always overshoots in whatever direction it is moving...it should be a wild ride next week . The Trend line from last April's rally into Mid February has a ...well just look at this chart.  The line in the sand on SP 500 is 3770 ...we break that and Free falling comes on

The Nasdaq closed below it's 50 Day moving ave. and the SP 500 (ES)(SPX) bounced of its 50 day around 1030 am. The market crapped itself around 350 P.M before the close. Now with all the liquidity the market could do anything from here, I don't mean to act like i "Know" where it's going but we have a key  (NEW) situation where the FED is for the first time in the year long rally the PROBLEM and it views the Yield rise (markets problem) as a GOOD THING that confirms the fed is doing its job in orchestrating a economic recovery. There are 6 Fed governors that speak next week and they will likely be spewing the same .."yields rising is a confirmation the economy is recovering" . This should send the market on its AZZ unless they find the wiggle room to change their mind prior to the market breaking the trend line above. The rising yields are a global issue and the Europeans are not so jolly about the movement as the rise in borrowing rates is choking off their recovery before it even gets going...they may break ranks with the FED and try to stop the rise..but the US Bond market is the biggest market in the whole financial system by a large degree so it sorta steers the boat. To add one final counter point ..there is the chance that this rising yield trade is nearly exhausted and or that the Fed will act clandestinely to  bring rates down thru direct unannounced purchases to  avoid asset price falls and to avoid acting like they are panicked  about rising rates (and to save markets confidence in them) either one of these would likely save the market from a break below the key support measures. 

What are the odds Cathy blows up ARK in a larger drop? Seems she sells her stable liquid assets like AAPL and AMZN to meet redemption requests and holds all the overvalued small cap low float stuff. Risky business in a vehicle that is supposed to provide daily liquidity.