Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Banter and General Disco 2

dendrite

12 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It hasn't exactly been easy sailing in the lead up, either.

The first few days were a disaster, but it got quite a bit easier after.  Not perfect, but doable.  

Mass has done a ton better than at the start.  We were one of the worst states at getting available vaccines into arms, but are near the top tier now.

Edit... actually 33rd... not as good as I thought. 76.5ish%      But much better than NH and RI.  48 and 49 respectively 

12.8% of total pop in Mass have been vaccinated, which is above US avg

44 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Does anyone know if there is an email alert system that we can sign up to, so that we're notified when more appointments open up?

Not sure if the state has one, but our town (Randolph) has a very good alert system for testing, vaccines, etc.  It is the general town email system, so we get storm notices, trash pickup delays, and more.  Check with your town to see if they have a similar system.

This IS a important story for 2021 and more data is coming in daily . Total cases are falling in every country including *S Africa so it would appear to me the daily numbers show the current vaccines offer protection even at reduced antibody levels .

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pfizer-says-south-african-variant-could-significantly-reduce-vaccine-protection-n1258198

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I started getting work emails last week about music festivals being planned for late summer and fall.

IDK, they already started cancelling summer events up here. The Yarmouth Clam Festival in July already cxcld. A couple bike centuries in May cxcld. I get that some of these events require months in-advance planning, but I feel like if you can put 20,000+ people, mostly vacinated at the super bowl, then there's got to be a way to have these summer events when they're still 5months away. I could see other events following suit and cancelling "out of an abundance of caution". I'm not in support of this. Organizers will then start using the "variants" as a reason to cancel. Since we can't talk covid here, I'll stop.

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

didn't they land a rover several years ago though? what's different about this one?

55 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Better instruments, a helicopter, many more cameras. They have had I think 6 rovers since Sojourner in the 1990s.  
https://everydayastronaut.com/perseverance-vs-curiosity/amp/

They're also taking samples and returning them back.  Fascinating to watch the scientific advancements being made, many which lead to real world products in use in many fields.

• Like 2

I've gotten notice that a cybersecurity conference that I was supposed to attend last summer has already made the decision to be virtual this summer. I'm glad I got ticket refunds and didn't request that they be used for this year.

I also volunteer for a youth robotics organization which has signaled that there will be limited off-season events this year. I'm expecting those to be only overseas, if they happen. 

It'll be interesting watching the economic impact over time.

• Like 1

Anyone research small to mid SUVs recently? My 2003 Jeep is showing its age and I need to decide to either put money into it or buy something new. Being able to drive through snow on hills is an absolute requirement. I know there's a chip shortage for vehicles, low interest rates are probably driving some purchasing and at least some people have a lot more liquidity this year.

Thanks for any advice / data / trends. 

45 minutes ago, monadnocks said:

Anyone research small to mid SUVs recently? My 2003 Jeep is showing its age and I need to decide to either put money into it or buy something new. Being able to drive through snow on hills is an absolute requirement. I know there's a chip shortage for vehicles, low interest rates are probably driving some purchasing and at least some people have a lot more liquidity this year.

Thanks for any advice / data / trends. 

We've done well with Foresters since 2014, traded the 2011 car for a 2017 about 18 months back because I'm close to retirement and friends said we'd have issues with financing if we waited.  Good clearance, entry/exit height nice for the boomer generation, reliable and at/near the top mileage for its class among gas-only models. 
(And my vocation adds bias.  :D)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tamarack said:

We've done well with Foresters since 2014, traded the 2011 car for a 2017 about 18 months back because I'm close to retirement and friends said we'd have issues with financing if we waited.  Good clearance, entry/exit height nice for the boomer generation, reliable and at/near the top mileage for its class among gas-only models. 
(And my vocation adds bias.  :D)

Thanks for the advice! While we've had the Jeep, we've also gone through a Forester and have replaced that with a Crosstrek. So we're definitely part of the northern NE crew with Subarus. The Subaru / Jeep mix has served us well. There have been times when the Subarus weren't going to cut it either in terms of clearance, power or 4 wheel low and it's been nice to have the Jeep. Otoh, the I don't necessarily want to spend 40K or more for a Jeep.

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We have had a couple of Mazda CX-5s. A 2013 and a 2018.  They are decent.  Subie’s are always a good bet. As are the CR V and the RAV4.   The new Rogue has improved a bit too

Good to hear! I'll have to spend some time doing some research...

Just now, monadnocks said:

Good to hear! I'll have to spend some time doing some research...

It depends on what you are doing with them.  We don’t do any off roading or mudding or anything.   Sounds like you might need more oomf and clearance. Ours are basically commuter cars that we can throw our bikes/skis/dog in.