Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Banter and General Disco 2

dendrite

13 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

So do people fly with their dogs now? This is a thing, I guess? 

Sure, your mental health husky needs the entire exit row. okie dokie 

I thought they ended that. People were using the service dog emotional support loophole. 

The last time we flew we sat next to a girl that had a cat on her lap. My wife has severe allergies to cats and it sucked. 

1 minute ago, BrianW said:

I thought they ended that. People were using the service dog emotional support loophole. 

The last time we flew we sat next to a girl that had a cat on her lap. My wife has severe allergies to cats and it sucked. 

Several dogs on this packed flight back to MD. They are not service dogs. LOL

Unless the “service” is keeping mentally-ill fur mom from having a breakdown. 

I hate when I have to go back to MD now. Clown world capital. 

Going away by plane is also a vacation from your beloved pets.  But I know lots of folks taking their big dogs all over creation.  If you have a reliable person caring for the pet while away it’s way easier.   We were in Chicago for the month of November.  Dog lady charged $1600!   When we went for 2 weeks last month, our 23 year old cousin took care of the dog and our house.  We gave her $200.   The dog and house were well cared for including shoveling.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Going away by plane is also a vacation from your beloved pets.  But I know lots of folks taking their big dogs all over creation.  If you have a reliable person caring for the pet while away it’s way easier.   We were in Chicago for the month of November.  Dog lady charged $1600!   When we went for 2 weeks last month, our 23 year old cousin took care of the dog and our house.  We gave her $200.   The dog and house were well cared for including shoveling.

For years our dogs would go to my FIL’s and he lived watching them. When he passed, my MIL did some watching but after she passed, we started taking vacations separately and actually found that we enjoy that, some of the time. We tend to like different types of vacations, my wife love sitting at the beach or around a campfire and relaxing. I like to do things and see stuff and like a different activity or destination every day. My son gets 2 separate vacations and my wife and I get a little break from each other.  Once in a while, like when we went to England for 10 days a couple of years ago, we will get a pet sitter but it’s rare. 

52 minutes ago, weathafella said:

As I’m standing elbow to elbow with dozens of other guys in the bathroom, or airport bar, or seated on the plane while everyone has a thin piece of cloth covering their mouth and hanging below their nose, I kinda start to question the COVID safety narratives still out there. Seems like theater to me. 

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

As I’m standing elbow to elbow with dozens of other guys in the bathroom, or airport bar, or seated on the plane while everyone has a thin piece of cloth covering their mouth and hanging below their nose, I kinda start to question the COVID safety narratives still out there. Seems like theater to me. 

BDB170E9-AFFD-4354-B8DB-5D9D4A0CCC37.jpeg

13 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Leon yore from the Mid Atlantic. Coldest Jan temp for LGA right here. Yes young weenies...we used to get arctic airmasses.

https://twcclassics.com/watch.php?file=tingri-011994

I miss the old wind chill conversion..really could get some weenie readings.  Prob never going to get to -42F in Wilmington DE again.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BrianW said:

Yeah F that! They couldn't serve me enough Jack and Gingers to make that OK. Still waiting for the no children flights to be offered...

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, PhineasC said:

They've fully proven what sheeple we've become in general. Everyone always being afraid of everything, and having very few life skills that used to come standard...my god most of my male friends can't even check their own oil in their cars and drive around on practically flat tires in the winter..I could go on.  I still fully believe if this happened 20 years ago and certainly 30 plus it would have been handled totally different.

8 minutes ago, UnitedWx said:

They've fully proven what sheeple we've become in general. Everyone always being afraid of everything, and having very few life skills that used to come standard...my god most of my male friends can't even check their own oil in their cars and drive around on practically flat tires in the winter..I could go on.  I still fully believe if this happened 20 years ago and certainly 30 plus it would have been handled totally different.

Speaking of vehicles, I just got a new Ranger and the damn thing beeps the horn twice when you exit the truck, close the door and leave it running. Ford thinks I need a reminder as well as my sleeping wife that while I've forgotten something and need to get out of truck, that the truck is still running. No shit! Will be programming that off with forscan.

7 minutes ago, UnitedWx said:

What was the last really cool summer we had in SNE? I have fond memories of I believe 1996 being a good one. It makes working outdoors so much nicer!

2009 was chilly, but for warmer in August. We’ve had a recent trend of fairly Nicely June weather but a furnace July and august.  I honestly cannot recall a BN JJA.  We don’t do that much for winter anymore either. 

2 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Speaking of vehicles, I just got a new Ranger and the damn thing beeps the horn twice when you exit the truck, close the door and leave it running. Ford thinks I need a reminder as well as my sleeping wife that while I've forgotten something and need to get out of truck, that the truck is still running. No shit! Will be programming that off with forscan.

I miss my 2004 Ranger.. RIP 2020.

That was a great truck

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

2009 was chilly, but for warmer in August. We’ve had a recent trend of fairly Nicely June weather but a furnace July and august.  I honestly cannot recall a BN JJA.  We don’t do that much for winter anymore either. 

2009 was wet and raw. 2007 actually had quite a few crisp airmasses. 2001 brought a couple of freezes to Alex in late July. Other than that it’s been pretty meh. 

50 minutes ago, dendrite said:

My 2009 is still going. It’s about 800 miles away from 200k. 

Since inheriting my dad's 1992 Ranger in 1994, those rigs (including a 2004 Mazda -Ranger with a different badge) have been my commuting/work vehicle.  The 2011 has 141k and still going well, though I had to spring for a new battery last week, replacing the original equipment.  Unfortunately, this last is automatic as my web search found no reasonably new/low mileage 5-speeds north of PHL.  The new Ranger is a different beast, with Ford doing what Toyota did to the Tacoma - bigger isn't better for compact pickups, IMO.

And your call on summer 2009 was right on - had a stretch from early June thru the first few days of August that saw rain on 49 of 56 days.  Both June and July 2009 were the cloudiest I've had here for those months, with June 09 the cloudiest for any month (though this past December tied with it.) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Yep! Thats why my newest vehicle is a 1983. Also a 1977 and two '75s. I like a vehicle you drive, not fall asleep in!

4 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Those July/August furnaces kill us at work. Give me 20 and proper clothing any day!