Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Banter and General Disco 2

dendrite

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

How much do you spend on average per year for parts etc?   If that $1k outlay was it you have a cheap hobby

I’ve burned through a few temp/hum sensors experimenting. Like when I get dew drift I’ve tried baking the sensor to recalibrate it. I wouldn’t do it. ;)

My leaf wetness sensor functions as a precip detecting sensor as I have it mounted on a metal electrical box with a 12 volt RV bulb inside to keep it warm and evaporate the precip as it falls. That’s shortened the life of those over the years. I’ve gone through a few anemometers as well. I have to get another one now as my speed stopped reporting. I can probably replace just the reed switch inside, but I’ll just get a new one and fix the old one later. Davis occasionally upgrades sensors so I’ll buy the new options as they come out. Mine’s been up since 2006 so that’s 15 years of some rough weather. I replaced a few cosmetic items a couple years ago too...like a few new rad shield plates, solar/uv mounts, and a new ISS transmitter (mine was cracking a bit). 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Are those rare up there or something? They are everywhere in the Mid-Atlantic. Big groups can be found under tarps, grill covers, etc. 

2010 stink bug infestation was outrageous in Mid Atlantic--I had thousands in my attic..and hundreds getting in the main part of my house. My old neighbor had a 200-300 year farmhouse with cracks and crevices eveywhere..they had trash bags full of those suckers.   Warm fall sunny days and the side of my house looked like some movie set with an insect invasion. Nasty.

Seen a few even here in VT, but just random one or two.

4 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

2010 stink bug infestation was outrageous in Mid Atlantic--I had thousands in my attic..and hundreds getting in the main part of my house. My old neighbor had a 200-300 year farmhouse with cracks and crevices eveywhere..they had trash bags full of those suckers.   Warm fall sunny days and the side of my house looked like some movie set with an insect invasion. Nasty.

Seen a few even here in VT, but just random one or two.

I don’t know if my olfactory system is broken or something, but I can’t smell them. People swear they stink. I have never smelled a thing with them. Even when crushed. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I don’t know if my olfactory system is broken or something, but I can’t smell them. People swear they stink. I have never smelled a thing with them. Even when crushed. 

Something is definitely wrong with your smell senses then...ha.  They most certainly have a distinct odor--even just one crushed would stink up a small room in my house.

• Like 1