Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Banter and General Disco 2

dendrite

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

My family is from BOS. My dad's side is Italian and Portuguese. The Italians all went to the North Shore and turned places like Saugus into Rome with giant pillars on ranch style houses etc. :lol:   The Irish in the city all went to the south shore. At first it was Quincy that turned into Belfast with the rolling Blue Hills reminding them of the homeland compared to Dorchester Heights. Then Plymouth county became the Irish Riviera as they call it.  It's the truth, and probably why north and south shore have that distinction of rivals. 

Spot on! LOL

5 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I think the school thing is way overblown generally. If your kid is smart, they’ll excel. I went to school in Taunton, so did my wife, and we both turned out just fine, and I’d have no problem sending my kids there.

Taunton by no means would be considered a good school district.

I agree to a point. I grew up in Brockton and went to public school through 8th grade. I went to private HS at Coyle and Cassidy in TAN. By no means is Brockton a good school system. However, it's what you make out of it, and the teachers that are there. My junior high was like the movie "Lean on Me," but the teachers busted our chops. I honestly felt junior high was one of the most grueling academically. I had lots of homework and the teachers genuinely cared in my level. 

Where I am now also isn't the greatest school system, but in a community like this, some schools do perform better than others. We were fortunate to have my son go to a school that does rate very well. We purposely moved to this location hoping he would be be able to attend. It's not just teachers, but how much parents care too. This area has a lot of younger families starting out who really help drive passion and energy for the school. If you are looking at certain communities, check out how the individual schools rank as well. 

19 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

My family is from BOS. My dad's side is Italian and Portuguese. The Italians all went to the North Shore and turned places like Saugus into Rome with giant pillars on ranch style houses etc. :lol:   The Irish in the city all went to the south shore. At first it was Quincy that turned into Belfast with the rolling Blue Hills reminding them of the homeland compared to Dorchester Heights. Then Plymouth county became the Irish Riviera as they call it.  It's the truth, and probably why north and south shore have that distinction of rivals. 

Yeah same here. Portuguese and Italian also. The Portuguese side went from Cambridge Somerville  area to the south of Boston area (down 24) and the Italian side went from Cambridge to the north up to Wilmington over to Saugus. 

Me, I stayed in the ville and very glad I  did.  Houses around here are and have  been bananas for long time. Most houses are 1 million plus and rising (for now).

IMO one town that I think has some decent "value" in between 128 and 495 is Maynard.

A really great downtown with a number of restaurants, a brewery, and some local retail... Middling schools but definitely fine for elementary and middle.

Only downside is lack of access to the highway (even route 2 can be a pain to access through Concord/Acton).

2 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

IMO one town that I think has some decent "value" in between 128 and 495 is Maynard.

A really great downtown with a number of restaurants, a brewery, and some local retail... Middling schools but definitely fine for elementary and middle.

Only downside is lack of access to the highway (even route 2 can be a pain to access through Concord/Acton).

Hudson is pretty sweet

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Big coyote ran by the front of my house this morning and then around back and into the woods. He appeared injured and was not using one of his rear legs much.  
Had not seen any on my property in over ten years.  This was a big one 

Our town has had coyote sightings recently too. I haven’t seen on here yet thankfully. With two boston terriers, one that is deaf, I don’t want to have to fight one off as a nightime hobby.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Our town has had coyote sightings recently too. I haven’t seen on here yet thankfully. With two boston terriers, one that is deaf, I don’t want to have to fight one off as a nightime hobby.

Why I have an 8 foot wood fence backed with a 4 foot chain. Also why my 30 30 is always within reach

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Nice. My property is weird...fencing would be expensive and wouldn’t look right. I have an old 3iron within reach if necessary. I don’t do guns. 

Keep them close. My wives animal hospital treats at least one a week wounded by Coyotes, several while on leash. Open season here. I don't shoot anything but come near my dogs and by by. We have a ton of coyote, I like them they keep the deer and rabbit population in check

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Keep them close. My wives animal hospital treats at least one a week wounded by Coyotes, several while on leash. Open season here. I don't shoot anything but come near my dogs and by by. We have a ton of coyote, I like them keep the deer and rabbit population in check

My bostons don’t go far and I have my 55lb boxer to protect them...though she’ll prob think the coyote is here to play lol. I’ll keep an eye out though, thanks. 

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

My bostons don’t go far and I have my 55lb boxer to protect them...though she’ll prob think the coyote is here to play lol. I’ll keep an eye out though, thanks. 

I still don't let my little guys out alone without at least 1 big one, 110 lb St Bernard Husky Mix, 75 lbs Shepard mix, 65 lb Pit Lab

5 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Big coyote ran by the front of my house this morning and then around back and into the woods. He appeared injured and was not using one of his rear legs much.  
Had not seen any on my property in over ten years.  This was a big one 

Got four coyotes in our small timber in town. They will howl and yelp like crazy when an ambulance or another siren passes close by.  By and large I have found them shy and only a threat to rabbits and turkeys. 

2 minutes ago, Lexclone said:

Got four coyotes in our small timber in town. They will howl and yelp like crazy when an ambulance or another siren passes close by.  By and large I have found them shy and only a threat to rabbits and turkeys. 

Yea I noticed that, they hear the siren before I do

44 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I still don't let my little guys out alone without at least 1 big one, 110 lb St Bernard Husky Mix, 75 lbs Shepard mix, 65 lb Pit Lab

Growing up, we had 2 donkeys that protected our flock of sheep. Besides braying loudly and warning us, they would drop kick anything that tried to get in the pasture. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, mreaves said:

Growing up, we had 2 donkeys that protected our flock of sheep. Besides braying loudly and warning us, they would drop kick anything that tried to get in the pasture. 

Yup farm up the road always had a donkey for herd protection 

11 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

There is a "pack" that hangs out around our neighborhood...they were howling just the other night, right in our backyard. I have yet to see them during the day, they are amazing to see though. It kinda reminds you that there is still some "wild" left in this area

10 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Watch out for Bobcats. This was in Southbury. At least the guy killed it with a fireplace log...

https://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Officials-Rabid-bobcat-attacks-2-people-dog-in-15863947.php

18 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

There is a "pack" that hangs out around our neighborhood...they were howling just the other night, right in our backyard. I have yet to see them during the day, they are amazing to see though. It kinda reminds you that there is still some "wild" left in this area

We have a crazy neighbor that feeds a pack from her deck every morning and evening. Everyone in the neighborhood is furious with her but there is nothing that can be done. Its apparently legal in CT to feed wildlife from private property. The DEP actually suggested killing them as there are like zero hunting restrictions on them. 

I carry my pistol on me and have been waiting for them to cross my path when I am walking my dog. My wife isn't into guns but the DEP said an air horn is very effective so she carrys one. 

10 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The day after we moved from in-town Fort Kent to the back settlement, our neighbor's dog (large white German shepherd) was playing with an adult coyote on the slope facing our yard.  Farmers in the area piled stones in the middle of fields rather than in walls, and the 2 canids were playing at one, remaining 180° from each other but with tails wagging.  When Princess headed home the coyote followed halfway to the house.  Lots of wildlife there - coyotes howling nearby or staring at our house (always when I was away, wife was not amused), the "jackpot" raspberry patch across the road had its best picking after the bears had broken trails thru the canes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lexclone said:

burlington has a bunch of them... always eating dogs from backyards, deer, turkey etc..    my neighbor found a gutted deer last week.. they  only left the heart and spine.. lol

We've heard them in the woods out back here. One time, they woke us up at about 2am...I think they were attacking something because it sounded spooky...a bunch of high pitched abbreviated yelps/howls and it sounded like something dying/groaning in between the yelps.

We have them all over. Like Will said, one night we heard them having a party of yelps and howls...like they got something. One of them took my neighbor's chihuahua right in from of him back in 2019. Was an awful thing to see. I don't have much woods at all around me, so these things are living with the human population rather nicely. 

11 hours ago, mreaves said:

Growing up, I had one big rat that would protect all the other little rats in my yard. Now I only see bunny rabbits because of the yuppies. I moved to Dorchester, now I have rats again. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We've heard them in the woods out back here. One time, they woke us up at about 2am...I think they were attacking something because it sounded spooky...a bunch of high pitched abbreviated yelps/howls and it sounded like something dying/groaning in between the yelps.

Probably just two high school kids finding somewhere to be alone